47 replies to this topic

#31 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

It seems I can't stream radio and have phone service. Is this a bandwidth problem, a computer problem, or a Vonage problem? (Or all three?)

I suspect a bandwith problem:

I don't use my vonage line often, but I've never had any problem with it.
Wait -- that's not true. When I use the phone, I often get kicked off the Internet. There isn't enough signal in the line to handle both. Vonage told me that I could adjust the settings to put less signal into the phone, but I've never gotten around to trying.

#32 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

It seems I can't stream radio and have phone service. Is this a bandwidth problem, a computer problem, or a Vonage problem? (Or all three?)

I'm guessing a combination of bandwidth and router issue. *Some* streaming issues were solved by getting a separate (Belkin) router and having the Vonage a dedicated router which they provided. We are still having Vonage issues which I believe are part of their problems, not mine.

#33 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

Any update on Vonage? I just called to get all the poop and they seem great.
We are moving and I would like three lines that roll over and i need internet access. It's that simple. ATT is acting like I am a criminal and are making it so hard to set up that I'm pulling my hair out. I had an appointment for the DSL tech yesterday with a 5 hour window. He came at the end and asked me what he should do. I don't know! I really dislike them. But as a business I need sold, reliable service. I'm still nervous about Vonage.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#34 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

I've had Vonage telephone service for about 5 years, and never had a problem. Although I am thinking of switching to Time Warner just to reduce the clutter of modems.

#35 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Apr 10 2009, 12:28 PM) View Post
I've had Vonage telephone service for about 5 years, and never had a problem. Although I am thinking of switching to Time Warner just to reduce the clutter of modems.

A local ISP, that many dislike, is very aggressive and using the same VOIP technology as Vonage and insists they can do this. I told them, this isn't a threat but this is a very small town and if this doesn't work, I have a very large mouth and it's ok to say this isn't for me, with reliability being more important than price. They seem young, smart and hungry and ATT seems like a crusty old dinosaur so I think I'm giving it a go.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#36 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

All I understand from that post is that your head is now full of power.
Be careful, it can be gone in the blink of any eye.

#37 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Apr 10 2009, 12:36 PM) View Post
All I understand from that post is that your head is now full of power.
Be careful, it can be gone in the blink of any eye.

blink.gif

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#38 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

I make them. I break them. One day Colbyco will be all mine!

#39 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I need a VoIP solution. Anyone up to date on what the most cost effective solution is? Vonage? Or buy an ATA from Amazon and use someone like this: http://www.voip.ms/faq.php

ETA: Main concern re:pricing is Western Europe, Non-Japan developed Asia. Alternately any of you folks using Vonage on a residential plan ever get hit for actually being a business?
Why not mayo?

#40 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

Here is my experience with Vonage:

Vonage will not be the cheapest service out there but it works pretty well and it's cheap enough for my needs.

I got Vonage because I was moving out-of-state and wanted to maintain my landline number. I plan to keep this landline # for the rest of my life or until I decide that I no longer need / want a landline. (Sometimes you need to give people / companies / organizations your phone number but you don't want to give them your cell number, hence a landline is handy for that.)

I have the Vonage World Plan. It's listed as $25/month which means that it's actually $36/month after taxes, fees, etc.

That includes all the standard stuff (voicemail, caller ID, blah blah blah) with unlimited calling in the US (to landlines and mobiles) and unlimited calling to landlines in the UK and most (if not all) of Western Europe and a whole slew of other countries (but not all countries). These details and the rates for calling cell phones in each country are clearly identified on their website.

Also, with the Vonage Extensions, you can setup one number (ie your cell phone) to "freely" leverage your VOIP landline's international calling plan. What that means is that you can use your cell phone to make international calls to landlines in Europe for "free" or to Euro cell phones at Vonage's reasonable rates. "Free" is in quotes because you are actually consuming minutes from your cell phone's monthly plan as if you were calling a US land line. (At least this is how it was a few months ago. Even though they have iPhone and Android apps for this capability, the app was still dialing a US access number behind the scenes as opposed to using the cellular data link or, better yet, a wifi connection. Braindead, but true. I haven't checked recently if they have improved upon this. However, what this does / did mean is that you cannot use your Vonage Extensions iPhone app overseas with wifi to freely call the US or European landlines :( )

Another nice feature is that when someone leaves you a voicemail on your VOIP line, you can receive an email that includes an automated transcription of the message (works pretty well if people speak good English; you can get some pretty funny mis-translations sometimes; for many foreigners, the service simply doesn't understand their English) along with a .WAV file so that you can actually listen to that message. Hence, if someone leaves a msg on my VOIP line when I'm out and about, my iPhone receives that email and I am in the loop. (Yeah, you can play around with all that forwarding shenanigans but that it not how I desire to use this VOIP number.)

I am a happy enough Vonage customer. As are various friends.

The call quality is usually solid but every now and then a call degrades and I simply hang up and call back.

That said, I have this European NYU professor friend who is really into his technology and finding the latest, greatest, cheapest solutions for various stuff. A few years ago he was on a mission from God to optimize his phone budget. Because I would tolerate him, he used to call me way too frequently and, upon answering the phone, I'd hear "How do I sound ? Can you hear my clearly ? Any static ?" He would be trying out some new VOIP provider. He went through a dozen of them. He would tell me about these insane rates ($19.99 or $12.99 per year for unlimited international blah blah blah). They all sounded oh-so-intriguing but he never seemed to stick with one. He was on to the next. Why ? Well, of course, he'd stick with one if they met his needs on an on-going basis, so ...

It was simply never worth the hassle to me to try to further optimize these costs.

And you know Chambo ... he's an optimizer.

#41 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

I've taken my vonage router everywhere from Japan to Mexico and it works just fine (of course, you have to remember to turn off the ringer at weird hours as people can't be expected to know what time zone you're in). Agreed on the cost, I can do a bit better but it really makes very little difference.

You can do the free-ish cell phone thing using google voice too.
I never said that

#42 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Just switched my geography once again.

Plug, plug, click, click, click, click*.

"Connecting . . . . . . . (15 seconds later) . . . . Welcome to Vonage."

I'm luving me Vonage !

And I'm ready to control the entire world from my new locale, screaming and yelling at people of various cultures in all sorts of countries. And I get to do all this for practically free. As long as I'm screaming at them on their landlines. Good fun !

* Plug (Vonage power cord into wall), plug (Panasonic cordless phone base station power cord into wall), click (ethernet cable into Vonage box), click (ethernet cable into wireless router at new destination), click (phone jack into Vonage box), click (phone jack into Panasonic base station).

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Oh, plugging, reminds me - plug vonage adapter to 220v outlet assuming it's 110/220 like everything else, wonder why the lights on router are all red, smell smoke, see melting plastic.

Results may vary based on make and model.
I never said that

#44 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

My 110/220V Vonage model has no such issues.

By the way, that was a very amateur move you made in melting your Vonage device. You travel much ?

Let it be duly noted that a professional like Chambo would never be so electronically careless.

For example, when I moved to Paris at the very end of the last millenium, I shipped a bunch of my junk over, including an HP Laserjet printer. My black and white laser printer worked only with 110V juice. Chambo, demonstrating his professionalism and wisdom and clairvoyance, noticed this well in advance and procured and shipped a 110-to-220 voltage converter. Proud as a peacock, he plugged everything in and proceeded to power up all processing and printer paraphernalia. No problem whatsoever. He then proceeded to print a page. Shortly thereafter, Chambo witnessed a small plume of black smoke rising towards the ceiling and a nasty burning smell that seemed as though Cousin It was being roasted alive in the oven.

Older laser printers were prone to power surges when turned on (or upon initial use after being turned on) and hence your converter required a much higher wattage rating than one might have expected.

Anyway, remember Cousin It ?

Posted Image

#45 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,797 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

The vonage meltdown was a blessing in disguise. I replaced the somewhat bulky vonage switch with a cigarette pack sized sip adapter for all of $25 and hooked it up to a combination of google voice for a US number and mydivert.com for a Tokyo number. Monthly cost for the Tokyo number is something like 6 Euro. Per minute rates are pretty close to zero and you can manage your numbers on a monthly basis. Pretty cool.

p.s. it's funny but 212 is still a status symbol - numbers anywhere in the US (or France, for that matter) would be 3.5/month, except 212 which is 16.95/month
I never said that