#31 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

Grub Street, in the Foodar section.

"Visitors to Ssäm Bar, David Chang's sleek new "Asian burrito" emporium, may have noticed a big, unused kitchen that runs the length of the room. Chang fires it up tonight for the first time, rolling out a late-night menu of multiple-element small plates prepared by the chef and a rotating team of ambitious cooks — including his co-chef at Momofuku, Joaquin Baca; Cafe Gray and Cafe Boulud veteran Tien Ho; and several other classically trained Momofuku alumni.
But the real payoff is yet to come. Within the next few months, Chang and his new team of chefs will begin creating improvised, multicourse meals for — get this — one single seating of four each night at 8 p.m.

Those lucky little groups won't be choosing from the soups, ssäms, and ever-popular pork buns on the regular menu. The special dishes will be made with the same artisanal ingredients used at Momofuku but prepared with far more time, expense, and formal structure than Ssam's other offerings. Plus, diners will sit at the counter immediately opposite the kitchen, watching the chefs at work à la Masa and Robuchon. In the meantime, the small plates should provide at least a hint of what's in store."
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#32 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

This is getting interesting.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#33 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:59 AM

I call dibs! :blink:

#34 Shrike

Shrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:20 AM

I was going to ask earlier, "what happens next?" Thanks for the update.
March 21, 2010 NYC Half Marathon
April 25, 2010 Big Sur Marathon
Montauk Century May, 16 2010
Sept. 26, 2010 Berlin Marathon

#35 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:35 AM

Oh yeah baby.

Starving after a food-less birthday party which ended at 10, I headed down to Ssam Bar, which opens at 10:30 for late-night dining and the late night menu.

I loved it.

Started with an oyster topped with watermelon jello - cold, pristine oyster, great flavors
Next: frisee salad with lotsa bacon in the dressing and a warmed runny egg on top
Three Terrine Sandwich: Fantastic. It's an uber-banh mi. Bread from Sullivan St., with ham, head cheese, chiken liver pate, and vegetables. It's what you always fantasized a banh mi could be were it done with great ingredients.
Veal Head Terrine: soft, warm, intense flavor, fatty. Ultimate comfort food.
Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Ham (from Tennessee) - fullbodied, meaty, sliced thin, served with peach/ginger chutney

I drank an Anchor Steam.

I will be back soon, to eat my way through the rest of the menu. Fried Berkshire Pork Sausage was being devoured next to me - it's a corn dog! I also ogled honeycomb tripe, lemongrass pork spring rolls, several other varieities of ham...

Love the space, the dark wood, the setup. Service was friendly and efficient. Chef Chang cooking his tootsies off, along with a big staff.

My advice: get there at 10:15 or so. You'll wait outside, doors open at 10:30. They close the regular Ssam deal at 10pm and then take a half hour to set up.

Chef Chang told me he would come on MF soon and answer questions and tell us of his plans.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#36 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

Oh man. I am so there.

Three terrine sandwich. My god, man.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#37 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

Oh yeah baby.

Starving after a food-less birthday party which ended at 10, I headed down to Ssam Bar, which opens at 10:30 for late-night dining and the late night menu.

I loved it.

Started with an oyster topped with watermelon jello - cold, pristine oyster, great flavors
Next: frisee salad with lotsa bacon in the dressing and a warmed runny egg on top
Three Terrine Sandwich: Fantastic. It's an uber-banh mi. Bread from Sullivan St., with ham, head cheese, chiken liver pate, and vegetables. It's what you always fantasized a banh mi could be were it done with great ingredients.
Veal Head Terrine: soft, warm, intense flavor, fatty. Ultimate comfort food.
Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Ham (from Tennessee) - fullbodied, meaty, sliced thin, served with peach/ginger chutney

I drank an Anchor Steam.

I will be back soon, to eat my way through the rest of the menu. Fried Berkshire Pork Sausage was being devoured next to me - it's a corn dog! I also ogled honeycomb tripe, lemongrass pork spring rolls, several other varieities of ham...

Love the space, the dark wood, the setup. Service was friendly and efficient. Chef Chang cooking his tootsies off, along with a big staff.

My advice: get there at 10:15 or so. You'll wait outside, doors open at 10:30. They close the regular Ssam deal at 10pm and then take a half hour to set up.

Chef Chang told me he would come on MF soon and answer questions and tell us of his plans.

I breezed through the new October Gourmet recently and noticed an article about Benton's hams. Also mentioned Chef Chang and Craft using the product and how much they love it. A must try. :blink:

#38 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

I headed down to Ssam Bar, which opens at 10:30 for late-night dining and the late night menu.

the place was gated at 11pm this Monday - no sign or info. are they closed on Mondays? or no more late night?
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#39 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

According to the website, no late hours on Monday or Tuesday.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#40 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

thanks!

#41 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:53 PM

thanks!

Nuxvomica - we must have just passed each other in the street on Monday :D I walked by around 11 too, hankering for some small plates. I guess those guys need a day off sometimes :D

-spaetzle
Taking a break.

#42 BackyardChef

BackyardChef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

You had me at Benton's.... :D
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.-- Bill Hicks

You couldn't seriously have thought that Guy was going to be hands on. I don't think he masturbates hands on.
--oakapple

#43 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

Nuxvomica - we must have just passed each other in the street on Monday :D I walked by around 11 too, hankering for some small plates. I guess those guys need a day off sometimes :(

-spaetzle

must have. went to Decibel instead, where we had some wonderfully spicy wasabi pork dumplings, shumai and something else - everything was delicious - and, of course more sake. oh, that was some night - Kenka, Bamn :D , the Blue Owl and Decibel....

#44 Shrike

Shrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:34 AM

I am glad others go to Decibel, and the last time was followed by Angel Share and Little Branch... good times.
March 21, 2010 NYC Half Marathon
April 25, 2010 Big Sur Marathon
Montauk Century May, 16 2010
Sept. 26, 2010 Berlin Marathon

#45 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:33 AM

Really good meal here tonight. We had all 4 hams on the menu - each different from the other, all so good. Benton's is still my favorite - smoky! We ate a lot of food - just about the entire menu (there were 4 of us). I could eat this food every day and be happy. And service was gracious and generous. Again, highly recommended.

Tried the tripe this time - smooth and tripey and spicy. Also the spring rolls, which we wrapped in lettuce and dipped into a sweetish, tasty sauce. Loved 'em.

Those 3 terrine sandwiches are just unbelievable. And the warm veal head terrine is like a carnivore's dream come true, in a sort of creamy pudding form.