79 replies to this topic

#1 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:21 PM

Interested in a dishwasher that does not get noisy after a year or so. We have a Maytag at the moment.

Like the look of the the stainless steeel Bosch ones.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#2 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

Asko and Miele make exceptionally quiet dishwashers. I haven't kept up on the reliability ratings, but both companies do have models with stainless steel fronts.
BlondieNY.com

#3 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:51 PM

Our KitchenAid has been chugging along in relative quiet for 20+ years. If I were replacing it, I'd go for a Miele.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#4 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:27 PM

Thanks, I'll look into Miele and Asko (never heard of the latter).

#5 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,672 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

In their May 2003 issue Consumer Reports completed one of their periodic roundups of all the major manufacturers.

To summarize, they rate 3 Bosch machines as the quietest but 2 of the 3 are in the $850 range. (The 3rd was $600 - maybe a stripped down model?) A Kitchenaid and and a Kenmore ($550 and $520) were rated "Best Buys" for doing an excellent cleaning job at a moderate noise level.

The only real surprise came in their Frequency of Repair section. Based on 96,000 survey responses, Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Hotpoint led the pack with an average repair rate of 7%.

The worst performers were Bosch, Frigidaire, and Asko with an average failure rate of 14% (Bosch and Frigidaire) and 20% for Asko.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:16 PM

I simply switch it on when I'm going out. Is that dangerous?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#7 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:05 PM

Thanks Lex. All very interesting.

Wilf: I read ages ago that one shouldn't have the tumble drier on when no-one's at home because of possibility of fire. But has anyone's drier burst into flames? As for dishwashers (if your q is serious), a water leak probably isn't life-threatening, right?

Reminds me, my in-laws decided to run our washing machine when they were in and we were out. Goodness knows what they did but they tugged it so hard somehow that they disconnected it from the pipes. Our downstairs neighbor is an art-dealer, and, yes, some of her work got wet.

#8 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:23 PM

I simply switch it on when I'm going out. Is that dangerous?

I always do that :blink:

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

I did a quick search of epinions.com for dishwasher, then Bosch and Akso. Each has its partisans.

The people who have owned both seemed to prefer the Bosch. I didn't notice anyone who had moved from Bosch to Akso.

The pro case for Bosch is relatively easy installation. Even the Akso loyalists admitted installation was a challenge for an installer who doesn't specialize. There were a number of postings for both companies which discussed this difficulty, which is partly due to the Akso's more complex design, it appears.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#10 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

My dishwasher just went kaput. I'll look into those Miele and Bosch. I wonder if they sell these down here.
"I mispoke."

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:24 PM

Wilf: I read ages ago that one shouldn't have the tumble drier on when no-one's at home because of possibility of fire. But has anyone's drier burst into flames? As for dishwashers (if your q is serious), a water leak probably isn't life-threatening, right?

That's what I figured, and anything can spring a leak at any time.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#12 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:48 PM

Siemens have nice Stainless Steel dishwashers, mine is so quiet that I am forever opening it and getting soaked while it is running :D

#13 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jun 28 2004, 02:10 PM) View Post
In their May 2003 issue Consumer Reports completed one of their periodic roundups of all the major manufacturers.

To summarize, they rate 3 Bosch machines as the quietest but 2 of the 3 are in the $850 range. (The 3rd was $600 - maybe a stripped down model?) A Kitchenaid and and a Kenmore ($550 and $520) were rated "Best Buys" for doing an excellent cleaning job at a moderate noise level.

The only real surprise came in their Frequency of Repair section. Based on 96,000 survey responses, Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Hotpoint led the pack with an average repair rate of 7%.

The worst performers were Bosch, Frigidaire, and Asko with an average failure rate of 14% (Bosch and Frigidaire) and 20% for Asko.

I think our 25-year-old Kenmore is on its last legs. Anybody got any updates on this thread?

Based on how long this baby has lasted I should probably just get another Kenmore. But that's a schlep to Sears vs. the local independent guy who's right here in town less than a mile from my house. I think he carries Whirlpool, & Whirlpool makes Kenmore or the same mfgr makes both or something. He's always had competitive prices, though now that I know I have to bargain, I suspect his volume won't allow as much wiggle room as the national chains.

I'll probably go with the local guy & rationalize that even if it costs more, it's worth it to avoid an hour of Jersey traffic.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Apr 5 2008, 11:46 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Lex @ Jun 28 2004, 02:10 PM) View Post

I think our 25-year-old Kenmore is on its last legs. Anybody got any updates on this thread?

Based on how long this baby has lasted I should probably just get another Kenmore. But that's a schlep to Sears vs. the local independent guy who's right here in town less than a mile from my house. I think he carries Whirlpool, & Whirlpool makes Kenmore or the same mfgr makes both or something. He's always had competitive prices, though now that I know I have to bargain, I suspect his volume won't allow as much wiggle room as the national chains.

I'll probably go with the local guy & rationalize that even if it costs more, it's worth it to avoid an hour of Jersey traffic.

if you know what you want Drimmer's in Brooklyn does phone order and will negotiate over the phone. they will deliver to NJ.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

We got a new Kenmore dishwasher for upstate about six months ago. Not sure if this is an option for you, but we didn't even go into the store - did the whole thing on line and had it delivered and installed. So far so good. We also have a Kenmore fridge and disposal and chest freezer up there....pleased with them all.

"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid