187 replies to this topic

#151 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Pretty much par for the course in second/third tier food cities (and I say that having been born in Minneapolis)....the local food critic is almost always going to be more of a cheerleader...as they should be.
It's pretty common when someone in the restaurant industry posts on one of the food boards or in the comments section on an article or blog-post for them to complain about critics putting people out of work etc...in a smaller city this really is more of a concern. You have to grade on a more generous curve cause the alternative restaurant isn't another stop on the Ryan Skeen tour, it's Applebees. And to a large extent, the function of the local newspaper dining critic really is to cheerlead for "real restaurants" and to explain that pork belly isn't weird and so forth....
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#152 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

It might feel small because there's not much there, but that metro area must have about 4mm people by now.
I never said that

#153 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

It might feel small because there's not much there, but that metro area must have about 4mm people by now.

Nope. As of 2010 its 2.85mm in the seven county metro. Population density isn't very high.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#154 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

there are enough expensive restaurants here that are doing well. there's no reason they can't be better or held to a higher standard. some of them are very good indeed. it should be okay to note the difference between these places and those that are above average.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#155 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Nope. As of 2010 its 2.85mm in the seven county metro. Population density isn't very high.

It's far from my sweet nature to gloat or anything, but we have a population in Cambridge
of, like, 106,000, and we support Oleana, Bondir, East Coast Grill, Craigie, Rialto, Tamarind Bay,
Mulan, Sofra Bakery, Hi Rise Bakery, and Formaggio Kitchen. From where I live -- and I say this
in the spirit of wanting to make you feel good -- it's thirty seconds to T.W.Food, 2 minutes to Hi-Rise,
and 5 minutes to Formaggio Kitchen. Them's walking times. You don't need a fucking car. We
just crossed 30,000 miles on ours. We've had it 8 years.

#156 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

It's far from my sweet nature to gloat or anything, but we have a population in Cambridge
of, like, 106,000, and we support Oleana, Bondir, East Coast Grill, Craigie, Rialto, Tamarind Bay,
Mulan, Sofra Bakery, Hi Rise Bakery, and Formaggio Kitchen. From where I live -- and I say this
in the spirit of wanting to make you feel good -- it's thirty seconds to T.W.Food, 2 minutes to Hi-Rise,
and 5 minutes to Formaggio Kitchen. Them's walking times. You don't need a fucking car. We
just crossed 30,000 miles on ours. We've had it 8 years.

Gloat away. I liked living in Boston and I like it here better.

#157 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

Why?

#158 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

Why?

Actually, I should say that Formaggio Kitchen, sailing in the harbor (and around the islands), and the T are three things that I truly miss about Boston.

I don't miss the expense of real estate in Boston. My ability to get a job that didn't require significant amount of travel is very limited in Boston (as it would be in many cities).

A few other things I prefer about living here:
-more varied and vibrant theater scene
-better x-c skiing
-easier access to wilderness
-more lutefisk

#159 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

you forgot hot dish.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#160 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,674 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Confirmation that the pecan walleye at the St Paul Hotel was not a figment of my imagination. It appears in R.W. Apple's 2009 collection Far Flung and Well Fed. He describes the fish as dusted with almond powder and served in a pecan-frangipane-butter sauce.

He too is horrified.

#161 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Illuminating.

#162 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

Illuminating.

I hear that in Minnesotan the verb "to eat" is exactly translated into English as "Have you pecan crusted a walleye"
Why not mayo?

#163 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Hmong Village at 1001 Johnson Blvd, St Paul vs. Hmong Market at 217 Como Ave, St. Paul.

If I only have time to visit one, which has better food, in general? Which has greater variety? Micromanage visit to MSP, please.

#164 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hmong Village at 1001 Johnson Blvd, St Paul vs. Hmong Market at 217 Como Ave, St. Paul.

If I only have time to visit one, which has better food, in general? Which has greater variety? Micromanage visit to MSP, please.

The one on Como is the only one I've been to. I like it.

#165 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

So A will be in town for a conference tomorrow, staying for a few days. I saw that article on New Nordic in the NYT, which he was planning to check out (close to his hotel!), but is there any place you would send him to first? A place with nice food (can be fancy, but doesn't have to be) where he can sit at the bar and do some reading.

I was planning to come with him and the baby and swing by Philly on the way, but unfortunately didn't work out this time. German daycare is very strict about vacations! :unsure:
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot