737 replies to this topic

#1 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

I thought I should create a thread for desserts, sweets, confection-making, etc. For selfish reasons, of course. I made a clafouti the other night. Not just a clafouti; a heaven-sent, got-religion, life-changing, breathtaking little pudding. A greengage clafouti. Oh my, oh my. I bought a pound of ripe Reine Claude plums from Red Jacket at the market. The smell was intoxicating. It was the only fruit being sold on the table, and it glowed, iridescent yellow-green. I've eaten them in France, and I've had lovely greengage jam, but this was the first I have seen of them in the US. David Karp wrote an article in the NY Times about them a couple of years ago, saying that the variety used to be popular here, but has all but disappeared. Thankfully, Red Jacket Orchards is bringing them back. Anyway, they are like no other plums - sweet and mild, with virtually none of the acid that one usually encounters. They barely kept their shape in the pudding, but attained a jammy, vanilla-y lovliness that I can barely describe. $2 per pound isn't cheap, but I see buying as many as possible before the season's up.

David Karp on Reine Claude Plums:
http://www.nytimes.c...d=all&position=
loser magnet

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

What clafouti recipe did you use?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Locust Grove had greengage plums last week. None this week though.
Future Legacy Participant.

#4 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

A recipe for cherry clafouti (traditional) in "Paris in a Basket." Love that book.
loser magnet

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

A recipe for cherry clafouti (traditional) in "Paris in a Basket." Love that book.

Hey, I have that book...and love it, too.

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

I think I'll make a peach clafouti for dessert this evening.

Thanks for the inspiration.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

So easy, so, so comforting. No crust, just fruit, custard, a little baking, and voila!
loser magnet

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

I've used this recipe with success many times, using apples:

http://www.saveur.co...5154&typeID=120

#9 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

I think I'll make a peach clafouti for dessert this evening.

Thanks for the inspiration.

And thank you for the idea! I've got a bunch of late-summer peaches threatening to go off. Peach clafouti tonight.
loser magnet

#10 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

I've never made a good one!
Our peaches are just ripening. Should I use this Saveur recipe?

Edited to add: the pears are starting to ripen as well. Apricots are on their last legs. None were stellar but it seems like they would be good for baking. Any ideas?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#11 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

All I can tell you is that I've used that Saveur recipe (which by the way is Mark Bittman's recipe) many times and it's always been good.

I am not going to sautee the peaches, however. I think I'll toss the slices in cognac and sugar and leave it sit for an hour and I'll drain them and add them to the batter that way. I'll use the drained out liquid to drizzle when I serve it.

#12 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

I've never made a good one!
Our peaches are just ripening. Should I use this Saveur recipe?

Edited to add: the pears are starting to ripen as well. Apricots are on their last legs. None were stellar but it seems like they would be good for baking. Any ideas?

What's been wrong with them?
loser magnet

#13 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

My dos centavos worth: I've always used the Julia Child recipe in Mastering the Art of, and it's always been wonderful. I've made it with cherries, blackberries, pears, and peaches, but this plum idea sounds like a winner.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#14 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

I think you're inspiring me as well. I bought a lot of plums at the market today. And I have heavy cream in the fridge.
Future Legacy Participant.

#15 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

Just spreading the sweet love, girl. :P
loser magnet