7 replies to this topic

#1 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

I just got couple of fresh yuzu - quite expensive but i like yuzu kosho so much that i coudn't resist.
now just need to figure what to do with them :D
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#2 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

Can I talk esperanto instead? In Citrus, I only know, "Hi, How ya doin'?" and I don't always get that right.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#3 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:45 AM

et tu, Maurice? :D
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#4 cliveb

cliveb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

I just got couple of fresh yuzu - quite expensive but i like yuzu kosho so much that i coudn't resist.
now just need to figure what to do with them :D

Qu coo es un Yuzu?? :D

#5 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

The NYTimes has a recipe for yuzu chiffon cake that calls for the zest and juice of 6 yuzu. If you can't get yuzu, it suggests the zest and juice of 3 meyer lemons plus the juice of 1 regular lemon.

I can't get yuzu or meyer lemons. But I have both yuzu extract and yuzu oil.

My research says a medium meyer lemon has about 3 tablespoons of juice, as does a medium regular lemon, so I should be trying to sub for roughly 12 tablespoons citrus juice. And a meyer lemon is sweeter than a regular lemon. Which is the best option:

zest and juice of 4 lemons plus an additional couple of tablespoons of sugar, plus maybe 2? teaspoons yuzu extract (or a few drops of yuzu oil)

zest and juice of 3 lemons plus juice of 1 clementine, plus 2 teaspoons yuzu extract

No additional citrus juice but 1 tablespoon yuzu extract (which would pain me since the bottle is so small) with maybe water? to make up the 12 tablespoons liquid

equal amounts lemon and lime juices (I read those two juices might be a good sub for yuzu) to make 12 tablespoons, plus some yuzu extract?

To confuse things a little more, my research says 1 yuzu only produces about 1T juice, so if I were trying to replace the juice of 6 yuzu, that would only be 6 tablespoons which is half the amount of juice the meyer lemon+regular lemon substitute they suggest has.

Any suggestions?

If it helps, the ingredients for the cake are

1 cups flour

cup cornstarch

1 tablespoon baking powder

6 yuzus, zested and juiced (see note)

1 cups sugar

1 teaspoon salt

7 eggs, separated

cup olive oil

cup plain yogurt

teaspoon cream of tartar.

NOTE: Yuzus are available at Japanese and other specialty markets. You may substitute the zest and juice of 3 Meyer lemons plus the juice of 1 conventional lemon.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

i would think grapefruit and meyer lemon and/or clementine would get you close to the flavor profile. i've only had the larger yuzu so i couldn't help you with the liquid yield approximation. i'm guessing they mean small yuzu though.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:29 AM

It'll have to be grapefruit plus clementine--no meyer lemons in Winnipeg!

I'll play around with those. I can't really remember what yuzu tastes like, so I may have to mix some of my precious extract or oil with water to have something with which to compare my experiments. My poor extract. . . it's so precious, I don't want to waste any! And I've only ever used it to make yuzu caramels, so I have no clue how much to use in cakes.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,337 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

It'll have to be grapefruit plus clementine--no meyer lemons in Winnipeg!

I'll play around with those. I can't really remember what yuzu tastes like, so I may have to mix some of my precious extract or oil with water to have something with which to compare my experiments. My poor extract. . . it's so precious, I don't want to waste any! And I've only ever used it to make yuzu caramels, so I have no clue how much to use in cakes.

take a nice whiff of the oil and work from there. think ponzu sauce.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*