2876 replies to this topic

#31 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

Sound quality is less than ideal but I love the music. You should have a cooking show.

And I thought it was just the lousy speakers on my laptop. I had sound issues as well. Amp it up and we have a winner.
Future Legacy Participant.

#32 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

Sound quality is less than ideal but I love the music. You should have a cooking show.

And I thought it was just the lousy speakers on my laptop. I had sound issues as well. Amp it up and we have a winner.

I was thinking the same thing about my laptop.

Nice bean pot.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#33 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

Soundtrack is great.

hours later I can report that this is definitely ear-worm material.....
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#34 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

Yes, the sound is an issue, plus the music is too loud.

The song is Jesusita in Chihuahua and if you are Western Swing fan, you'll know that this Mexican classic was later "borrowed" by Cliff Bruner to become the Jessie Waltz.

It's a first go. There's much work to do!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#35 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

Ranchito, do you want your own cooking show? :P

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

Why don't the carrots stick to your knife when you're slicing them? :P
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

Why don't the carrots stick to your knife when you're slicing them? :P

The scalloped edge to the knife, whatever that's called.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#38 24k

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

Charmed at Rancho's opening duet of Peggy & Dinah, other duets that knock me out (knowing there are TONS more, but these always charmed me):

Mel & Judy (her last note alone is amazing!)

Bing & Bowie (always brings tears to my eyes...)

Beverly and Danny (who knew??)
One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real.

Klaus Kinski

#39 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Steve, you are sooo adorable. Not too chatty at all - - all cooking shows are best when there is a stream of instructions flowing throughout. Remember those early European cooking shows with Elsa Whatshername where all you heard was the refrigerator/generator running? And you covered the first-soak liquor controversy without even mentioning Bean-O. So proud of you. Dave has obviously been drag searched from a bayou (I've been Jonesing for Justin Wilson and he came close!), and the star is, of course, Ms. Lima Beans. I discovered them upon reading VOGUE in the hospital (my appendectomy and boy was I hungry) and finding Vladamir Nabokov's recipe: add a pound of real butter and 2 tablespoons of dill. Serve with creme fraiche on zee top. Lots of entertainment for two days, whew! And congrats to GrantK, too. Ya should've sent him off with Jaymes, but you might've had to add La Golandrina to the sounctrack for that one.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#40 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

how long do you soak the beans?
how long do you cook the beans?
how do you know they're done, if not cooking by a clock?
how do these things differ by bean type, if they do?

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#41 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

I know you're a lit guy and all, but really, it's all there. Play it loud for maximum effect though.

Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#42 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

The sound sucks. It's worse than it sounded through the headphones at the time. My fault, I probably had the wireless mic set wrong. At least I hope it was user error and not something wrong with the wireless system itself.

Yes, the sound is an issue, plus the music is too loud.

Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#43 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

I know you're a lit guy and all, but really, it's all there. Play it loud for maximum effect though.

i need the occasional text flashed on screen, and maybe a brief captioned recipe wrap-up at the end. i watched the whole thing, but none of this stuck with me. there need to be more emphasis points--that is, if the goal really is to show people how to cook the beans.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

--that is, if the goal really is to show people how to cook the beans.

Intriguing. So you detect a hidden agenda. You might be onto something.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#45 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

i need the occasional text flashed on screen, and maybe a brief captioned recipe wrap-up at the end. i watched the whole thing, but none of this stuck with me. there need to be more emphasis points--that is, if the goal really is to show people how to cook the beans.

Perhaps it is a geared to be just enough information to get you to buy the 'Rancho knows Beans' series on DVD and companion cookbook.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.