46 replies to this topic

#46 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of fish (mis)naming. Since Mero (grouper, that is) is a well regarded fish, you find a variety of species (yes, even halibut) sold under the label. In the Caribbean I once got a Boquinette as Mero, but also as Red Snapper (it is neither, of course). Anyway, you should hopefully be able to tell Halibut from Grouper assuming the preparation is straightforward, and they're both going to be very good up there.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#47 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

Frankly, I thought that they were both grouper, based upon texture and taste.

But after the owner (of Elkano) held his "halibut" ground after some persistent inquiry on my end and talked about which of his fish comes from which boats, at what depths he wants his fish caught (it implies what they have been eating, per him), which month is best for each fish and why (for example, April and May for turbot because they are getting nice and fat feeding on anchovies but not in July and August, which is their busy season, because the turbot are now shedding weight. He took me through the entire year, not with a list of fish, but with a knowledgeable discussion about the list of fish), I just figured that he must know Spanish fish better than me. Since I'm the inexperienced one in this part of the world, I decided that maybe there is some other species of halibut that tastes like grouper around these parts (although he did say that the halibut is not caught locally. That it comes from big boats that fish faraway, although he did not specify where, when asked.)

But the word mero in Spanish does seem to translate as either grouper or halibut.

There is no good reason for him to be selling his grouper as "halibut" to English-speaking folks if grouper is prized in these parts. I can only guess that his strength is in fish, and not in the translation of fish names into various languages. And his English is not very good. Hence, his little dictionary says that mero in English is halibut and he has never questioned that and he has been telling Anglos that his grouper is halibut since forever.

Hmmm, maybe I should give Aitor a call and suggest to him that his fish translation dictionary is likely wrong and that he should investigate what is the real name in English of that grouper that he is serving. He is a very dedicated restauranteur. I'm sure he doesn't want to be giving his Anglo customers the wrong info. I'm going to do this, just for the halibut. :)