• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NYCTOLA

NYCTOLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

I have a very close friend in Melbourne who is a superb cook and excellent cooking teacher. She wants to get her business going, but is uncertain how best to promote herself. I live in LA, so I do not know what marketing opportunities may be available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

I have a very close friend in Melbourne who is a superb cook and excellent cooking teacher. She wants to get her business going, but is uncertain how best to promote herself. I live in LA, so I do not know what marketing opportunities may be available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head:

Of the easy things, she should have a website and a blog. It will create a web presence and "validate" her. She should also do some freebies for friends and have them bring friends, take lots of photos and really make the website pop.

Offer to demos at her best specialty store.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#3 Farid

Farid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:46 AM

She should post her CV on her website. She should post sample class ideas, photos of dishes she's made, photos of classes she's taught, where she has taught before, a photo of herself, etc...

It's also a good idea to join some food associations/oragnizations/groups to network and meet potential customers.

If she's an excellent cooking teacher she should have some former students to provide testomonials. This isn't necessary if she has a strong CV.

There's a lot more but I have no idea what her background is to offer more here.