#1 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

I took this picture on my last trip to France (my honeymoon), in 2002. We'd flown into CDG and were waiting to take the TGV down to Avignon. The TGV station at CDG is huge and pristine, with the tracks on the level below the waiting area. I'd been watching this guy from the level above. He was alone down on the platform, except for a station worker (just visible at lower right). The guy was really restless and kept slowly walking over to the track itself, waiting briefly, then walking back and checking the schedule screen. IN all that huge space, the only sound was that of his suitcase rolling along behind him. There was something so melancholy about it.

There are so many things I love about this photograph. I like that it's mostly monotone, all shades of warm grey, with a smack of the primary red, yellow and blue in the corner, then the red echoed subtly in the guy's hand-bag, the blue repeated in the square “voie” sign, and the yellow in the hands on the clock. I like the jumble of linear shapes, and the syncopated rhythm of all those vertical poles, with the curved arms coming off at an angle. And I like that the picture is bisected into two triangular shapes, with the lower left blank and spare except for the guy standing there, and the upper right with all it's busy-ness balancing it. And the little white arrow, just off center, pointing right at the guy.

I printed a bunch of note cards with various of my photographs, and put them for sale at the farmer's market, along with my preserves. No one bought this one; they opted instead for the brightly colored flowers, the heart-shaped strawberry, the candied apples, the carousel horses. The happy stuff.

I used a card printed with this image to send a note to a friend whose father just committed suicide. It seemed so appropriate.

#2 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:21 PM

Nice picture, nicely seen. I have a series of pictures of aloneness, for lack of a better way to say it, that I've been taking since I was a kid. Nobody likes to look at them but me.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#3 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

Are any of you here on any super-secret internet and exclusionary photo sharing forums?

I've been on fotolog (www.fotolog.com/mti) and flickr (www.flickr.com/photos/adjacent) for the past two or three years. I find that taking and putting up photos keeps me seeing and shooting -- both things that I find really rewarding.

man, i need a headache

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

Are any of you here on any super-secret internet and exclusionary photo sharing forums?

I've been on fotolog (www.fotolog.com/mti) and flickr (www.flickr.com/photos/adjacent) for the past two or three years. I find that taking and putting up photos keeps me seeing and shooting -- both things that I find really rewarding.

I have a super secret flickr site but I'll be damned if I tell you where it is!
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#5 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

Posted Image]

Taken last night in east Austin - a "hotel" with a No Vacancy sign on the front door. I wish I'd had a better camera with me, instead of my digital.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#6 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

This is a pic of the Ontario School of Design in Toronto. I like the mix of old urban and ultra modern

Posted Image
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#7 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

German Pavilion by Mies van der Rohe, Barcelona, October 2006
Posted Image
BlondieNY.com

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

Very nice, Blondie.

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

Lighting fixture in temporary Illy store/gallery in SoHo

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:03 PM

Lippy & Blondie both very nice. Gordo yours won't display.

#11 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

Another shot I took of Queen St West in Toronto. I manipulated it a bit so it could be made into a wallpaper background for a friend.

Posted Image

GG - They seem to show on my end from diff computers - no one can see them?
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

#12 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

I can't see them, either.

#13 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

I can see Gordon's photos if I hit "reply," copy his image URL, and use a new tab with that location. (But they're kind of small to get the full effect.)

Lippy, I love that light.

Here is one of my favorites from Italy...this French choir was singing in front of the Uffizi. I can just imagine they're singing "Dominique," though that wasn't the case. (Boy, my camera was primitive.)

Posted Image

Nowadays, I'm shooting with a 50mm f/1.8 lens on a Nikon D200. This is probably my favorite non-people, non-farm-related photograph I've taken all year. This is taken at the wine bar downtown, Soif.

Posted Image
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#14 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

This is my most viewed photo on flickr.
Posted Image
I guess a lot of people search the tag "dog".
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#15 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

I've modified my links