886 replies to this topic

#31 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:51 PM

I picked up Viana La Place's, La Bella Cucina, today at Strand, for under $10. I know I'll enjoy using it in the summer.

#32 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

The new book of Villas Stalking the Green Fairy : And Other Fantastic Adventures in Food and Drink just came out.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#33 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:57 AM

My book package from Liz Seeber arrived this morning. I grabbed a couple of the smallest books to look at on the way into work:

Vieilles Recettes de Cuisine Provencale by C. Chanot-Bullier, in Provencale and French languages. One of many books she is selling from Alan Davidson's collection, with his distinctive, fishy bookplate. A gift to Alan from Richard Olney, as explained by a very nice note from Olney tucked inside.

and

100 Recettes de Cuisine Russe by Helene Goloub. Published in 1924 and I can't quite work out if this is a facsimile or an improbably well-preserved and re-bound original. Nicely written, very traditional Russian recipes.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#34 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:18 AM

Vanessa - I am green with envy.

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born,
and sets a food discussion site?

#35 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:26 AM

You have to come and play with my books one day ;)

By the way, I have an Urbain Dubois - Cosmopolitan Cookery (if I remember right). In English. Someone has rebound it in a rather vulgar, but pretty indestructable, style.

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#36 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:54 PM

I've got to see these.

#37 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:35 PM

I just ordered Christine Ferber's Mes Tartes, and Nose to Tail Eating.

#38 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

The rest of the books received this morning:

A Cook's Tour of Britain by the WI & Michael Smith, published in 1984. I couldn't understand why I didn't have this book. In those days I bought everything worthwhile that came out and it certainly looks familiar. Then realised that 1984 was when I lived in Russia for a year and it probably just fell through the net. A really nice book on regional British cooking. Smith was an excellent cookbook author.

A couple of titles from Denoel's Cusines du Terroir series, ex-Alan Davidson:
La Cuisine du Comte de Foix et du Couserans
and
La Cuisine des Charentes et du Poitou

The Exotic Tastes of Paradise: The Art of Sri Lankan Cooking by Felicia Wakwella Sorensen

The Maloufs' Moorish - at a fraction of Amazon price

Classic Recipes from the Greek Island of Kefalonia by Tassia Dendrinou. I'm a bit annoyed about this: I wanted it and she said it was sold. Now I've got it I'm not impressed and would have much preferred not to have it :angry: Whereas a book by a P. Majumder, a must have n'est-ce pas ;) , didn't come because she'd sold it.

v

#39 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

The Maloufs' Moorish

This is an amazing book: i almost weep from joy looking at/cooking from every page, quoting giri's famous boy, i love food :)
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#40 giri

giri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:33 PM

The Maloufs' Moorish

This is an amazing book: i almost weep from joy looking at/cooking from every page, quoting giri's famous boy, i love food :)

:wub: I think it was "man, I love food." :)

Looks like I need this book. The only thing better than eating or looking at good food is looking at good pictures of food.

#41 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:36 PM

Got FishWorks Seafood Cafe Cookbook and spent several happy hours of browsing: the blob from Nigel Slater saying "Full of lively, contemporary recipes that make your heart sing" - well, indeed :wub: . And those pictures of amazing Carlo Chinca!

Also added several titles to my wishlist; don't know if it's due to summer moods, age or trend following, all the books are so called gourmet vegetarian :ph43r:
The trend that probably started with Cafe Paradiso, and now The Gate Vegetarian Cookbook in UK, and here in US, Peter Berley publishes his second book Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour

EDIT: In the hall of fame of sophisticated vegetable-oriented cookbooks how could i forget Gayler's A Passion for Vegetables!

#42 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

Just ordered Pim's 'Qu'est-ce qu'on mange ce soir?' off abebooks. Don't all go running there as it was the only copy :D

I've realised that I'm no longer interested in ordering books by mail unless I am 100% sure of what I am buying. 2 out of the 8 books received earlier this week were really not worth it (Kefalonia and Sri Lanka) - if I had seen them in a bookshop they would have quickly returned to the shelf. I have too many books to be messing around acquiring non-necessities :angry:

v

#43 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:02 PM

I just ordered Christine Ferber's Mes Tartes, and Nose to Tail Eating.

These arrived today, under the free shipping option on Amazon.

#44 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

Fergus Henderson's writing is full of personality. Here's an example, picked at random, just by opening the book: "I believe it is important to have the parsley sauce in a jug on the table so the eaters can express themselves with their pouring."

Opening the book to any other page would have yielded something equally charming.

#45 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:00 PM

and Mes Tartes?

(I'm being tempted - need help here :ph43r: )

v