The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#17 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,485 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

The boxes are a perfect size for holding newspapers to be recycled. And the filled box is not too heavy to lift. We receive the empties from our super, who collects them from our neighbors who put the boxes out for recycling.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#18 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

liquids especially.

Astor deliver.

I was thinking of using FD for beer orders, actually, as a few six-packs are damn heavy. You need someone with ID to receive the delivery, so I'd have to schedule it when someone's in the house other than the usual crowd of teenage girls. :creepy:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#19 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

You should really move that last post to the "When complaining is really bragging" thread. :lol:
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#20 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

I've generally been happy with it, but sometimes their judgment is off in terms of quantity and they send either more or less than what I need. Obviously, they can't read my mind. They are very good about making adjustments, however. For anyone whose shopping situation is less than ideal, it can be a godsend, but I woud never arrange for a big order to be delivered on the day it is to be served, because something will need to be filled in.

One of the oddest misjudgements was a bottle of star anise. It came as a powder. I had to explain to them that for this spice, the shape is at least as important as the the flavor.

#21 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Thank you all for your help with abbreviations. I love being tolerated.
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#22 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,425 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

We've ordered from them twice and are thinking about doing it again. It's definitely convenient. They carry kosher chicken which is a nice plus for us.
Future Legacy Participant.

#23 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:02 AM

I think Fresh Direct is great. The only critical thing for me would be that they bring my order in nice, clean, well organized boxes but sometimes there's only bananas in a great big box and at the end of unpacking, I always feel guilty about all the terrific usable cardboard that's going to waste. I'm sure that since the inception of FD, there's been a lot more cardboard sitting on the street waiting for pickup by the sanitation department. Some cardboard company is making out like thieves. Hmmm, I wonder if they're publicly traded.

that's my only real complaint about FD too - they overpackage. although Steven D is right about forgetting items too, it's not been a huge issue. but with two gourmet stores with long hours within a couple of blocks from the apt, we don't really order from them as much - just pop out for whaever is needed

i should look at their cheeses again, esp. that Comte
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#24 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:37 AM

Out here in the burbs, with four or five supermarkets within a ten mile radius, I would love to have Fresh Direct. The A&P's dairy section is almost always near or past the sell-by date. The Shop Rite has tragic produce, as does Pathmark. I won't buy the mass-produced chicken or meat at any of them. I try to cross the GWB once a week and hit the uptown Fairway, but that has to be timed correctly to avoid traffic jams. If I didn't have a insider at the farmers' market, I'd be SOL, too!

So we'll try again. GWB: George Washington Bridge! Yay! SOL?

Board still full of lazies and exclusivistes.

To say nothing of the neologists. Dude.

And the flaneurs. Dude.
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#25 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

Trying to lure back shoppers who haven't ordered in a while, Fresh Direct sent out a mailing with the offer of free delivery for up to 5 orders. Looks like it's just a generic code, for those of you who use the service.

Promo code: FEB50H
There should be a space when you are about to check out.
Use up to 5 times per household until 4/26/07.

#26 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

We'll give that a try, thanks.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#27 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:08 PM

Didn't work. They must be smart.
Elect-a-lujah

#28 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:15 PM

Didn't work. They must be smart.

Really? That 0 is a zero, not the letter O, just to be clear.

#29 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Ach! I'll try again next time.
Elect-a-lujah

#30 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

A helpful development (or maybe it's old and I just noticed it): Fresh Direct are partnering with Union Square Wines in New York. It's by no means the full USQ inventory, but it's a long list and good for everyday drinking purposes.

click

Not such great news for neighborhood wine stores which focus on low to mid-range priced bottles.

Note, Fresh Direct partners with Murray's too, but the selection is hopelessly small.
Elect-a-lujah