34 replies to this topic

#31 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

FYI, for those who live below Canal, orders placed on the Chambers Street Wines web site before 7:00pm are delivered the same day free of charge.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#32 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Placed my first order yesterday at 3pm, given an option for 6:30-8am delivery today. Arrived at 7:30am, and must say I was most pleased. Lovely to receive two cases of seltzer at my door; ditto juice boxes. Ripe avocados, too.

Splurged on two Tabla pre-made entrees and will report back but the ease of experience and some of the prices (.60 for a Dannon yogurt!) are great.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#33 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

We've been using FD for about two years.  In recent months, we have ordered most of our groceries since my dysfunctional hip has limited shopping mobility.  I place an order with them once or wtice a week.  My experience with them has been very favorable.  The quality of their shellfish and seafood is excellent as is much of their fruits, berries, salads and vegetables.  They are like the old Bloomingdales when I call with a problem--no questions asked--immediate credit and a complimentary new order of whatever I had the problem with on my next order.   Deliveries are dependable and not once have they missed an ordered item.  The delivery men are unfailingly polite and put the boxes =on the kitchen counter so we can unpack them easily.  Their own brand items are usually quite good.  The beef chili for example, their eggs, house brand sliced ham.  I like that I can order sliced meats in thin, standard or thick slices.  The meats and fish can be ordered in vacuum packing or standard.  I imagine I am paying more than I would if i shopped for best prices, but for us the service is well worth it. 

I have tried their heat and eat entrees and found them good, though we rarely use such items.

"It has a soupy texture and looks rather messy. It stinks a little and is arguably the most delicious dish on earth."__Ptipois

#34 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

I'd like to point out a key element in Melonious's post.  Deliveries are dependable and not once have they missed an ordered item.  The delivery men are unfailingly polite and put the boxes =on the kitchen counter so we can unpack them easily.

These folks are low on the Fresh Direct totem pole, but essential to customer engagement.  UPS learned decades ago that creating a bond between drivers and receptionists, loading dock crews, etc is a major corporate asset.  Making those small adjustments to integrate  / burrow more deeply into the customer's environment is essential to building more business.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#35 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

True.  They are the contact point with the company.  The company has done a good job with them.  But for me, the quality of the unbranded or house branded food, seafood etc. makes it worth paying a premium for the service.  For example, the wild shrimp and scallops are excellent, as good as I can buy them in Citarella and perhaps a notch below The Lobster Place. 

"It has a soupy texture and looks rather messy. It stinks a little and is arguably the most delicious dish on earth."__Ptipois