362 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

My first bottle of some 2001 Brunellos I bought. This was Collemattoni; a really delicious wine; powerful and aromatic. I bought a case, but I may buy some more, as this has such depth and power. Everybody should have some of these wines; I think a lot of them are very good, and will last for some years.

B, Interesting comments on a high quality wine. Brunellos, especially from good vintages like 2001, rarely disappoint.

On another tangent, I never read the other "What are you drinking?" thread as it appears to be mostly about whiskey and beer. I wonder if this "What WINE are you drinking?" thread can be viable and sustainable (and not be a detriment to posting wine tasting notes).
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:02 PM

Great idea.

I'm in Switzerland, so I'm focusing on Swiss wines. Chardonnay from the Valais, Fendant...they're lovely wines.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Florida Jim

Florida Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

These days, some nebbiolo d'alba, lots of Beaujolais crus, some soave and some Rhone varietals from a CA maker named Edmunds St. John.
Occasionally, Cornas, Cote Rotie, Chignin, Arbois and a few assorted Spanish cheapies.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars

#4 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

Buty 2003 Beast from Walla Walla- one of the most delicious can't-put-your-glass-down wines i've ever had. velvety, rich, deep. mellowed over time so not as beastly as firt tried at the winery a couple of years ago. only a couple of bottles left <_< but since husband got sick, i had almost the entire Beast for myself last night. mmmm..... each year the Beast is different (small cuvee or single varietal), 2003 was merlot
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#5 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Last night some Dagueneau 2004 Buisson Renard. Lacked something on this occasion; not corked but the fruit was flat somehow. Maybe I am coming down with a cold.

#6 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Last night some Dagueneau 2004 Buisson Renard. Lacked something on this occasion; not corked but the fruit was flat somehow.

B. Here is what WS had to say about this wine...

2004 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly Fume Buisson Renard
Expert Ratings: Wine Spectator: 95 points
Gorgeous, with acacia and honeysuckle flower aromas followed by green almond, grapefruit, lime and straw notes that cascade over one another on the finish, where a hint of macadamia nut lingers. Wonderful precision and balance. Best from 2007 through 2011. 1,250 cases made.

Sometimes any TCA can be so faint that it is undetectable except that the wine is flat as you describe. Something about your bottle, as you say, was off.

#7 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

Various stuff from the Loire. But most of it I had to spit.

#8 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

Various stuff from the Loire.

Joe, I had seen and admired that posting over there. Thanks for your thoughtfulness in providing a link to it from here.

Very substantive!

#9 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

I only drink wine when I go out to eat. Most recently was a riesling and a Cotes du Rhone.

I don't think I'll ever learn to appreciate red wine as much as the rest of you do.

#10 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

'04 D'Angerville Bourgogne.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#11 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'm all over the place.
Last week
one evening
1988 Henriot Champagne- wow- fine nutty mousse wonderful
2001 Raveneau Chablis Montee de Tonnerre very mineral with great body and lemon
1999 Ezchezeaux Engel- a little stemmy and light weight
2001 Pertimali Brunello young, primary, rich fruity and classic
2000 Clos du Lambrays more weight than either of the two prevoius reds.tart cherry some mushroom just excellent
1983 Grüner Veltliner Auslese, Bründlmayer- deep golden color very complex most of the sugar already gone great with pear crumble dessert

this week
2001 Bodegas Saenz de Santamaria Rioja Rondan Crianza- nice everyday drinker soft tannins and spicy fruit
2003 Outpost Cabernet- california fruit bomb with pan grilled steak
last night- 2003 Mas Saint Joseph Costières-de-Nîmes Cuvée Aventure- from Dressner lovely Syrah blend with Grenache & Carignane good QPR under $13.00

#12 Marty L.

Marty L.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

Last night, the NV Rose Champagne from Selosse. This was the last of 6 bottles I purchased a few years ago and lugged back from Paris. Disgorged in 2002, this bubbly has finally come together, with its spicy red fruit mellowed and well integrated with the wine's acidity. The nose was floral and positively seductive. A terrific match with sushi from Gari and some after-dinner Comte. It would be difficult to conjure up a more appropriate wine for Valentine's Day.

#13 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

Drinking a glass of Mitolo "Serpico" -an Australian cab done in the Amarone style. Deelish
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#14 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

2000 Clos du Lambrays more weight than either of the two prevoius reds.tart cherry some mushroom just excellent

I love this wine. I've got a pretty decent vertical of it spanning back to 1996.

#15 pim

pim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

Last night at Le Chateaubriand, a new-ish bistro in the 11e, a bottle of Saumus Champigny '04 from one of my fav Saumur producers, Chateau Yvonne. I am a fan of their Saumur Blanc, but this was the first bottle of their red that I've tried. It was quite nice.

Oh no she didn't.