GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

2007 Cayuse Cailloux Syrah

Posted Image

Haven't written anything lately but this was reeeeeaaallly good.

Closed nose at first, but opened up like violets.
Unctous texture
Jammy fruit with great acid
Oily tar, Gamey, Olively

An eye opener - better with each sip over 2 hours.
Best purchase of 2011 personally.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#302 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,905 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

2008 brown estate recluse zinfandel

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#303 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image

Unctous texture
Oily tar, Gamey, Olively

Cayuse? Cayuse?

That's the software used to submit grants at my place. It's horrible.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#304 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image

Unctous texture
Oily tar, Gamey, Olively

Cayuse? Cayuse?

That's the software used to submit grants at my place. It's horrible.

That explains the 15 pages of boilerplate I had to submit with my subscription......but thank god I used my stage name of Gladys Carmelita Silverheels Kyong.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#305 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,905 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

n.v. fonseca porto siroco in a tall glass with tonic over ice.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#306 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

1980 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon (I am in California at the moment) -- very pale, with a really interesting bouquet with intense liquorice and tobacco and leather, very mature, not really a Bordeaux nose, more like a very old Barolo, and then
in the mouth just digusting, harsh acidity, no fruit, vegetable soup .. what a let down. But great to sniff from time to time.

#307 SFJoe

SFJoe

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

1980 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon (I am in California at the moment) -- very pale, with a really interesting bouquet with intense liquorice and tobacco and leather, very mature, not really a Bordeaux nose, more like a very old Barolo, and then
in the mouth just digusting, harsh acidity, no fruit, vegetable soup .. what a let down. But great to sniff from time to time.

'80 was not a fab year in Napa, and the Caymus wines were mostly built for shorter-term gratification. '79s, though, can still be pretty interesting. '79 Heitz Martha's was fun last week. Eucalyptus (Joe Heitz would have insisted, "Mint!") was outrunning the fruit, but nice wine nonetheless.

#308 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Fiť Gris be Eric Chevalier, 2010. Loire white from this strange grape which is basically just Sauvignon, but tastes a little different. Very good wine -- interesting acidity and good fruit without being overpowering. Mineral and very fresh. Lovely.

#309 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

2001 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino -- I loved this. Very sangiovese, beautiful red fruit, and really bright acidity if that makes any sense, with some nice nuances in the bouquet like leather and tobacco and so on, but quite subtle and a very good complement to the fruit. Still quite young; my first bottle of a case so I am very happy with this after a few disappointments with Brunellos recently.

#310 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

b, You probably got a bottle with bad provenance.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#311 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Last night, an impromptu rose tasting with some of the Whitehall FOH. There was a lot of talking and coming and going so
apologies if my notes are a bit sketchy. All three wines French. The first , from Breezeville, was everyone agreed the 'most accessible' a light pink wine with a bright strawberry flavor and ever so slight a whiff of anise. I said only half jokingly that I was reminded of a strawberry twizzler. The other two wines were both from La Verite, and I'm afraid I have no further information other than one bottle had a white label and the other a black one. The white labelled one was nice enough, lots of fruit well-balanced by some acidity. The black label
wine was the almost unanimous favorite, with a deeply floral nose and nuanced, layered notes of fruit with a slightly peppery finish. And a night as sticky as last night was of course the perfect time to be sampling these cool, refreshing wines.

Apologies for wonky formatting due to posting from
phone.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#312 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

2009 Muga Rosado

I had planned to make myself a Smoked Okra Gibson when I got home from work today -- but discovered that I am, shamefully, out of dry vermouth. (How did THAT happen?) But it's late Spring -- which in this New Age Of Global Warming means it was nearly 80 today -- and middle-aged men's minds turn to rose.

Not surprisingly, now that rose has reestablished itself as a respectable wine, people are looking into the possibilities of aging it. So I stashed some from prior summers. Rioja rosado is an obvious choice. This reliable mid-level entry was a fair candidate.

It's throwing a crust. Time to start drinking.

Is it better (or worse) now than when it was new? Damned if I can remember. I'll tell you what, though: it's good. Muga's rose is mainly granache (a fair choice, given Provence's rose preeminence). This isn't profound, like a L de H rosado. But it's flavorful and interesting. Just what the doctor ordered.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#313 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,688 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

2009 Castle Rock Syrah. This is good, and Cost Plus/World Market had a special on it.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#314 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Rereading this thread, it's really great.

It makes me think I must go back to London and drink more with balex. Or get him to come back to New York.

If nothing else, we can compare post-Soviet girlfriends (as of our last meeting, balex wins).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#315 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

Maybe this should go in the non-fancy wine page, but I don't feel like searching...

La Zerba Gavi 2011. Low alcohol, lightly floral, lightly fruity, lightly acid. Very pleasant.

Actually, this weekend was entirely dominated by various quality levels of rose, as we were in Provence for a friend's wedding. I have to say the stuff tasted great while we were over there, much lighter and more refreshing than the more "serious" rose one usually gets over here. I don't know how good they would taste in Munich though.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot