358 replies to this topic

#16 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Saumur Champigny '04 from one of my fav Saumur producers, Chateau Yvonne. I am a fan of their Saumur Blanc, but this was the first bottle of their red that I've tried. It was quite nice.

Pim, I would be curious what you had this wine with...and what it matches up well with normally.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#17 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

First of the 2005 white burgundy, that were delivered yesterday. I popped one of the village Chablis, by Boudin.
I can't really do useful tasting notes, but these wines are very nice. Not as clean and simple as I was expecting. Quite rich, with some slightly vegetal something on the nose that I couldn't identify. Lovely to drink, but maybe lacked a little sharpness on the finish. About £100 a case.

#18 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

I've been trying to save them, but can't help myself from drinking some Copain... First an '04 Rousanne from the James Berry vineyards in Paso Robles and then their '04 Arrowhead Mountain Zin. I just ordered a few more Syrah they released and am increasingly becoming quite enamored with Copain's entire production line. Their Viognier kicks ass as well...

#19 Florida Jim

Florida Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

I've been trying to save them, but can't help myself from drinking some Copain... First an '04 Rousanne from the James Berry vineyards in Paso Robles and then their '04 Arrowhead Mountain Zin. I just ordered a few more Syrah they released and am increasingly becoming quite enamored with Copain's entire production line. Their Viognier kicks ass as well...

Carolyn,
One of my few wine regrets is leaving their mailing list.
Last year, I know for a fact that Wells ordered some grapes (pinot, I think) picked at brix that would barely give him 13.5 abv. And this was after he tasted the grapes so, evidently he thought them perfect. That kind of outside the norm thinking, coupled with his palate (which is quite remarkable) make me wish I'd stuck around.
I have some older stuff in the cellar that I'm trying to be patient with.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars

#20 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

Carolyn,
One of my few wine regrets is leaving their mailing list.
Last year, I know for a fact that Wells ordered some grapes (pinot, I think) picked at brix that would barely give him 13.5 abv. And this was after he tasted the grapes so, evidently he thought them perfect. That kind of outside the norm thinking, coupled with his palate (which is quite remarkable) make me wish I'd stuck around.
I have some older stuff in the cellar that I'm trying to be patient with.
Best, Jim

Jim - thanks for giving me the fortitude to stop opening my Syrahs! I went to a dinner/tasting late last fall here in San Francisco where they informed that regrettably, they had a complete loss of all Pinot grapes in 2006. Nary a one survived so there will be no 2006 Copain Pinot. I am really low on their totem-pole list and love what little allocation I get; a few Viognier, Rousanne, and a handful of Syrah. At the dinner, I talked them out of a 3-pack of the Zin which they are no longer producing and I think I only have one bottle left.

I opened an '01 Jocelyn CabSauv last night and every time I drink a cab, I wish it were a syrah - my new favorite grape.

#21 Florida Jim

Florida Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

Carolyn,
I still have a 2000 and 2001 Dennison, Pinot and a 2000 Hein, pinot. I don't think they even produce out of the Dennison Vnyd. anymore - a shame because the 1999 and 2000 were in the top five domestic pinots I have ever tasted.
I never bought a syrah but have tasted them from others' cellars. They appear to be pretty long-lived wines but then, I think the Anderson Valley pinots may develope even better or the long term.
I sat next to Wells one night at a dinner party in Windsor. There were a large number of wines on the table and I watched as others poured wine (blind) for him and as he guessed what was in the class. It was a perfomance like none I have seen before or since. A very discerning palate, to say the very least.
And I think that is reflected in his wines.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars

#22 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

2000 Domaine Tempier Cuvee Tourtine. I decanted this and drank some, but it needed time, so in an uncharacteristic display of restraint I put the stopper in and will save it for tomorrow. I don't find the traditional descriptors -- liquorice, cherry etc -- really describe the flavours of this sort of wine.

#23 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

2000 Domaine Tempier Cuvee Tourtine. I decanted this and drank some, but it needed time, so in an uncharacteristic display of restraint I put the stopper in and will save it for tomorrow. I don't find the traditional descriptors -- liquorice, cherry etc -- really describe the flavours of this sort of wine.

B, This bottling has gotten good reviews with the same caveat you stipulate...it needs time. Here is one example...

2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Speciale La Tourtine (France, Provence, Bandol) [90]
I know this is much too young. It has opened up quite a bit in the 4.5 hours it has been in the decanter. At first I got horse and not much else. Now the nose shows cherries, saddle leather, herbs, and minerality. The palate has changed as well and is much lusher. I find flavors of chalk, eggplant, cherries, and vanilla. 4 hours ago this wine was a tannic beast. It still have mouth gripping tannins, but they are more integrated because of the air time. This reminds me of a young, more rustic Beaucastel. I would like to try one of these with some age. (936 views)

This person seems to have done a good job of describing the wine except I cannot visualize the descriptions resembling a Beaucastel.

#24 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

I find it difficult to make much sense of those sorts of descriptions: particularly with complex wines where the bouquet is fairly harmonious.

#25 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

Last night at dinner:

Atbei Muri, Sudtirol/Alto Adige, Lagrein Riserva 2003
Concentrated, dark, a gorgeous match for the filet de boeuf roti entier

There are so many things on the wine list here that I want to try, and only 6 more nights!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#26 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Atbei Muri, Sudtirol/Alto Adige, Lagrein Riserva 2003

O, Interesting...and sounds good.

In case anyone wants to do a google, the spelling is actually Abtei.

#27 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

Last night: Brunello Poggio di Sotto 1998; good but not revelatory.
Tonight 1996 Barolo Poderi Einaudi (Cannubi): I really liked this; I don't know much about Barolo, but
I am starting to understand what is going on. This was quite mercurial -- a complex nose that evoked particular smells for a few minutes and then moved on.

#28 GavinJones

GavinJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

Nicolas Potel bourgogne rouge - the last bottle I tried to drink must have been 5 years ago.
While punting.
Tonight a pleasure with a sausage.

I am confined to 13% or less this week after a stay with my sister on Monday.
The combination of beaucastel, cask-strength laphoraig and pre-medication with acetaminophen has left me alert to jaundice.
I have no intention of leaving my liver.
Unlike the leaving of liverpool.

#29 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:10 AM

Villaine Mercurey les Montots 04. Really lovely, a bargain at the $27 I paid.

#30 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

Here's a wine that blew my socks off this week:

Malcantone
Rosso dei Ronchi 2004

grapes: merlot, diolinoir, carminoir, cab sauv, cab franc

from the Ticino

Must. Find. This.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid