#61 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

Oh no.
I first met the Big Guy and his truly lovely wife Fahro in London. They both went out of their way to make my visit very, very memorable.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#62 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

This isn't supposed to happen to forces of nature like Tony.

I happened to be thinking of him last Saturday evening, as my Beloved and I pored over the tasting menu at Norman Van Aken's restaurant, looking for the heaviest carb options. I had many ripping arguments with him online, and my god was he a gadfly? I am sorry that those who never knew him might not have known that behind the splendid fanfare of opinions (let's not forget dogs-in-restaurants) was a most generous, thoughtful, helpful and kind man.

Many happy memories, like being tapped on the back in Trafalgar Square and hearing that unmistakeable voice say "Oi, look, it's Mister Mouthfuls".

He was special.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#63 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:53 PM

So sorry to hear we've lost Tony.
Condolences to his wife and family.

#64 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Wilfrid, your signature is a perfect tribute.

Class. :)
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#65 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

I hardly scraped the surface. He was a funny writer.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#66 ampletuna

ampletuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

wonderful tribute Wilfrid. God, I'm going to miss him.
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#67 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

I only stopped so that my signature wouldn't overrun the page length. :)
Elect-a-lujah

#68 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

Wilfrid, when a cherished (witty, warm, dear) member of the Readerville clan passed on, people collected his best posts—two years or so—and put them in a memorial thread, called "Memories of Imre" (that was his name). It meant a tremendous lot for his two grown children, and his surviving sisters, to be able to read that: they printed them out and made books for the family. It might be nice for Tony's family and friends to see something similar here.

Just a thought.

Simon, your blog link was very sweet.

RIP, Tuckerman.

#69 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

How very sad :) Condolences to his family.

#70 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

As if on cue, the current issue of Saveur (which arrived here just today) has a piece on the cuisine of Peru.

#71 Basildog

Basildog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

I first met Tony at the EG lunch at Chez Bruce way back when.We smoked outside like a couple of schoolboys(or a headmaster and a schoolboy.)He was funny, opinionated,charming and all those things mentioned here.A big man, with a big personality.His hospitality legendary, he put me up for the night after a Tayyab fest, and i had the pleasure of cooking for him and Fahro at our place.He made his immortal line about my sticky toffee pudding being a "Tad Dry", a comment that has rumbled on for years now.I will miss him, and my heart goes out to Fahro.A diamond.RIP Tony

Adrian

#72 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:41 AM

Wilfrid, when a cherished (witty, warm, dear) member of the Readerville clan passed on, people collected his best posts—two years or so—and put them in a memorial thread, called "Memories of Imre" (that was his name). It meant a tremendous lot for his two grown children, and his surviving sisters, to be able to read that: they printed them out and made books for the family. It might be nice for Tony's family and friends to see something similar here.

Just a thought.

What would one do with the moderator-deleted ones?
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#73 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:24 AM

I only stopped so that my signature wouldn't overrun the page length. :o

We can start another thread to post our favorite "Tuckermanisms". :)
Gone fishing for the summer.

#74 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:49 AM

After not being online for a while, I am stunned by this news.

My sincerest condolences to Fahro and family. Oh dear.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#75 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:50 AM

Just a thought.

What would one do with the moderator-deleted ones?

Password protection! It's about time. "Enter at your own risk."

I think quite a good idea, given that there are some photos of him with which people can at least associate a face with the [name].

Long live Tuckerman. I truly did want to meet him, and my hopes were sincere in that direction. He wrote like a feisty young man.