Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Jackson Heights and Corona

Sitting down mouthfuls
Best Peruvian: Las Delicias; and there are many other good ones - Punto Fijo, Chifa Union, Bajo el Puente, El Damero, El Rumbero, El Tio Julio, La Barca, La Perricholi, Mezarina.
For ceviche:
Best South Indian: Kababish..
Best Thai: Zabb.
Best Tibetan- Himalayan Yak.
Best Indian Chinese: Chopstick, Chili Chicken on Roosevelt/74th.
Best Indonesian: Upi Jaya.
Best Mexican: Taqueria Coatzingo, Plaza Garibaldi or La Espiga (see Standing Up Mouthfuls too).
Best Cuban: El Rincon Criolla.
For Vietnamese: Thai Son could be mentioned as the best Vietnamese, but only because it's the only Vietnamese in the designated neighborhood.
For Peruvian chicken: Pio Pio (note the Matador Special and the great green sauce - avoid the ceviche); or Casa de Pollo Peruano.
For Ecuadorian pork: Hornado Ecuatoriano. For Ecuadorian soups and stews: Picada Azuaya.
For Colombian big plates: Tierras Colombianas, Boina Roja or Los Arrieros.
For Argentine steaks: La Fusta, El Gauchito, or Esquina Criolla.
For Uruguayan: Chivito D'Oro

Standing up mouthfuls
Best made to order parathas : Tawa Deli.
Best Columbian snacks: Arepa lady (Roosevelt Avenue & 79th) or Los Chuzos. For sweetcorn: Maiz de Choclo under the 7 train 103rd St. station.
Best Italian heroes: Leo's Latticini.
For Mexican tacos and chalupas: Tacqueria Coatzingho.
For Mexican torta and pan dulce: El Poblano.
Best empanadas: Empanadas del Parque.
The Halal Carts are marginally worth a mention.
Maybe the taco cart at 94th (? I'll have to look it up) that makes their own tortillas. Not better overall than Coatzingo, but better tortillas.

Sweet mouthfuls
Best Indian sweets (also chaat): Rajbhog, Maharaja Sweets, or Dimple.
Best ices: The Lemon Ice King of Corona.
Best Colombian bakery: MiraCali or Las Americas.
Best Argentine bakeries: Cafe La Nueva, Buenos Aires, Rio de la Plata, or Don Chicho
Lety's Bakery
Espresso 77

Thirsty mouthfuls
Legends is a half decent bar, but better for the BBQ.
If you need a beer on tap, Legends is probably your best bet. If you need a full-ish bar, Novo and Texas Steakhouse (or whatever it's called - just noticed they have a new management sign up; wonder if it will change it for the better?), anyway, they both have more full bars than other restaurants. Don't expect much from the bars, though.

Shopping mouthfuls
Best Indian grocery: Patel Brothers, Apna Bazaar and Subzi Mandi for Indian groceries
Best Asian Grocery: Pacific Supermarket.
Best Spanish food emporium: Despana.
Chong Hap market. I like this place better than the Hanyang and Han Au Reum shops in Woodside. Better prices.
Best Korean could be Hae Woon Dae, but I think it's technically in Elmhurst, although it's only two blocks from the Roosevelt Ave station.

Anything else?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

Astoria and Long Island City

Our own Lippy blogged about Vernon Boulevard in LIC. Check it out here.

Sitting down mouthfuls
LIC
Italian: Manducatis for red sauce Italian and a great wine list, Bella Via, good coal-oven pizza place, Manetta's.
French: Tournesol. In particular the frisee salad located at 50-12 Vernon Blvd. between 50th and 51st. Aves. 718-472-4355 steps from the Vernon-Jackson stop on the 7 train (1st stop in Queens, coming from Grand Central Station)
Best Thai: Tuk-Tuk
Best Diner: Court Square Diner
South Asian: Punjabi 5 Star Diner
Cafes: Cafe Henri (corner of Vernon and 51st Avenue) for serves sandwiches and breakfast fare too. Communitea.

Astoria
Greek: WAY too many to list, but I have liked Agnandi, and Aliada (Cypriot). Zenon, Telly's Taverna, and Elias Corner are supposed to be good too. stamatis on 24th across from the bier garten for greek grilled octopus or sausage. they are the most reliable middle of the road "let's go eat greek greek restaurant" that i have found. stamatis on broadway not as good but not bad. Philoxenia has also re-opened.
Istrian: Istria Sports Club.
Italian: Il Bambino, on 31st Avenue between 34th and 35th Streets (same block as Djerdan and Xenon). Mostly panini, crostini, antipasti, and baked goods. I went with a whole bunch of folks for a blowout meal a couple of weeks ago and loved everything I had--their truffled egg toast rivals 'ino's. A great addition.
South Asian: roti boti on 21st and astoria: greasy spicy and cheap indian/pakistani/bangladeshi. the lamb kababs are outstanding and the steam table stuff is often very good -- chicken spinach is my favorite.
Chinese (a dubious honor in this neighborhood): JJ's Fusion
Mexican: Really good cheap tamales on the weekend at "original mexican food" on 28th street just north of 30th avenue. this place used to be called "hidalgo". the rajas con queso tamales are the best. Los portales (bwy and crescent) has the best tacos al pastor i've had in nyc. nice scene too. El compita on 34th (carnitas -- sometimes very good sometimes not), blue on 30th (carnitas, also good diner food). i get my tamales these days from "joseph and sylvia's" on astoria at 23rd (weekends only).
Brazilian: Malagueta for nouveau brazillian on 36th ave. Brasillianville Cafe & Grill for a churrascuria by the pound.
Japanese: nebuta on hoyt avenue right near the astoria avenue "N" stop. they have japanese fast food (donkatsu, udon soup, donkatsu with curry sauce, cheap sushi) and serve a mostly young japanese clientele in the neighborhood. mostly takeout but there is some seating. probably not worth the trip from manhattan (is there anything comparable in the EV?) but it's a nice place to have in the neighborhood.
French: 718
Pizza: Sac's, Slices at rizzo's on steinway around 32nd(?) are somewhat above average
Egyptian: Kabab Cafe (25th and steinway) for what Ali does and is, Mombar (25th and steinway)
Moroccan: Jour et nuit (25th and steinway) just opened and has good cous cous and tagines -- much better than i've had in manhattan.
Brunch: fatty's on ditmars and 24th or so . i like this place but don't love it; service is a bit slow.
Simple kebabs and the like: BZ Grill, 27-02 Astoria Boulevard (28th Street).

Standing up mouthfuls
Astoria:
Mexican grocery on 29th Street just south of 30th Avenue that has very good tamales
Mexican or Standing Up: "El Rey del Tacos" truck, which is parked at 33rd Street and 30th Avenue (by the Rite-Aid) starting at around 7:30 PM.
Halal chicken truck on Broadway between 29th and 30th Streets is very good, and the owner was one of the finalists for the 2007 Vendy Awards.

Bakery and Sweet mouthfuls
Astoria
Greek bakery: Artopolis, sometimes Omonia (Greek stuff only--forget the Frenchified pastries)
Italian bakery: La Guli
Middle Eastern bakery: Laziza
Japanese Market: family market is a very nice japanese grocery but not as nice as sunset mart in manhattan.
Greek bakery: Ya Ya on 31st Street between 30th Avenue and Newtown
Italian bakery: I'm blanking on the name, but there's a very good one on 30th Avenue and around 44th Street
General bakery/cafe: Bakeway on Broadway between 29th and Crescent, though in all fairness they can be very inconsistent. They also have savory items.

Thirsty mouthfuls
LIC
Domaine Wine Bar
LIC Bar for great outdoor space, good selection of beer and pressed sandwiches.
Lounge 47 for a nice garden, a very decent burger, lamb sandwich, etc.
Water Taxi Beach in the summer for a great view and some pretty good eats.
The P.S. 1 Warm Up in the summer on Saturday afternoons.

Astoria
Best Beer Garden: Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden
Crescent Lounge on Crescent just south of Broadway; Sunswick on 35th and 35th (good beer selection)

Shopping mouthfuls
LIC
Italian groceries: Manetta's is an Italian restaurant but they have a deli where you can get mozzarella, proscuitto, etc.
Rumor has it that Manducatis will also open up an Italian grocery on Vernon.
Wine & Liquors: Vine Wine, Hunter's Point Wine and Liquors, at 47-07 Vernon Boulevard
Pet Supplies: City Dog on Vernon Boulevard

Astoria
Best International Grocery: Trade Fair, 30th Ave at 29th Street
Greek groceries: Greek House Foods (Abbylovi's favorite) for their house made Taramasalata and yogurt. A wide selection of feta and other various Greek groceries. Located at 32-22 30th Avenue between 32nd and 33rd Streets.
Titan, both branches of Mediterranean Foods (on 31st street between 23rd), best small greek grocery store is Christo's on i think 23rd avenue west of 31st street; foods 24th avenues (i think)
Butcher: Good sausage etc on 24th avenue west of 31st street, don't remember the name. Another butcher with cheap lamb, rabbit, etc.
Pasta (store): Cassinelli, but beware of the odd opening hours
Wine & liquors: Grand Wine & Spirits
Heliopolis on Broadway has a pretty good beer selection
Shopping: add Euro Market on 31st Street between 30th and 31st Avenues for their beer and candy (and pan-Euro goods)

Anything else?

Anything else?

#3 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

Sunnyside and Woodside

Sitting down mouthfuls

Best Thai: Sripraphai (maybe best in city).
Best South Asian: Spicy Mina.
Best ramen: Yamakaze.
Best Korean BBQ: Shin Chon Kalbi.
Best Filipino: Ihawan (don't miss the huge pork knuckles); or Renee's.
Best Ecuadorian: Braulio & Familia.
Best Italian: Sapori d'Ischia.
Best Salvadorean: Izalco.
Best Cuban: El Sitio. (Some agree on this, some don't.)
Best Peruvian: Fiesta Latina.
For Korean tofu stew: Natural Tofu (also the One Cold Spice Noodle Soup - buckwheat noodles, beef, peppers, pear).
For Peruvian chicken: Peking chicken.
Best Pizza. Peppino's at 61st/Roosevelt. The grandma slice is really one of the best things in the neighborhood. I don't think I've had a better slice of the kind, anywhere.
Best Burger: Donovan's

Standing up mouthfuls
Best hot dogs: Rocco's stand at Home Depot.
Best Turkish fast food: Mangal Kabab.
For Mexican torta: Rincon Azteca.
For Mexican tamales: the stand under the 7 train 61st Street station.
Best Colombian empanadas: Casa de Pollo or Seba Seba.

Sweet mouthfuls
For dessert after Sripraphai: La Flor, especially the molten chocolate cake.
For Filipino pastries and the BEST flan: Krystal's Cafe.

Thirsty mouthfuls
Best pubs: Donovan's (good burger too); Saints and Sinners in Woodside and The Gaslight in Sunnyside.

Shopping mouthfuls
For meat and Irish groceries: Butcher's Block.
Phil-Am market on Roosevelt and 70th is a good spot for your typical Filipino goods
There are two Korean markets in the designated geography: Han Au Reum on Woodside/60th, and Hanyang Mart on Roosevelt/51st. Both are little sattelites of larger shops in Flushing/Bayside. Chonghap market in Jackson Heights is just outside the designated geography and is a slightly better choice for Korean goods.
For Italian goods, Sapori d'Ischia does double as a small market during the daytime hours.
Otomanelli's on Woodside/61st is also a good butcher shop.
The wine/spirit shop on Queens Blvd near 41st (south side) is probably the best wine shop in the area.
The middle eastern market on 43rd Ave in the mid 40s is also pretty good for middle eastern goods.

Anything else?

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Elmhurst and Rego Park

[Sitting down mouthfuls
Indian Chinese: Tangra Masala , Chopstick Indian Chinese. Special note: Lex and Steve are not fans.
Thai: Chao Thai.
Best Argentinian steakhouse - La Fusta
Indonesian: Minangasli, , Upi Jaya.
Malaysian: Coco.
Vietnamese: Pho Bac, but that's only because there isn't a better Vietnamese place around the neighborhood.
Salut 63-42 108th Street, Rego Park, Kosher Uzbeki, excellent babaganoush and great kebabs.
Ben's Best Deli for their pastrami sandwiches and more. 96-40 Queens Blvd 6-40 Queens Blvd
Lao Bei Fung dumpling house. Good fried dumplings, and also really good noodle soups with hand pulled noodles. It's on Whitney next to Minangasli.
Parillada mi Tio for steaks. It's Uruguayan, and they make chivito sandwiches which I've always had for takeout. I like the chimichuri there better than the one at Chivito d'Oro.
Kosher Uzbek: Cheburechnaya
Turkish: Kazan. Istanbul is good too.
On the Grill makes good falafel

Standing up mouthfuls

Bakery and Sweet mouthfuls

Thirsty mouthfuls
Grandstand Pub

Shopping mouthfuls
NY Supermaket and Hong Kong supermarket. They are the two big Chinese markets, and you can find most Asian ingredients between those two.
Kam Lun market closer to the Grand Ave station has always had a good lunch counter/steam table/rice combo meals and other packaged items.

Anything else?
[/quote]

#5 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Flushing

Sitting down mouthfuls
Best Szechuan - Spicy & Tasty, and Xiao la Jiao a.k.a Little Pepper
Honorable mention - Szechuan Gourmet
Waterfront Incorporated Enterprises on prince for the best restaurant name and it's also great.
Dim Sum: Gum Fung, Perfect Team.
Happy Family/Little Lamb - Hot pot. On Main Street just south of Northern Blvd (and so, if you're driving, very convenient to the big municipal lot at Union and 37th). I've only ever had hot pot at Szechuan places in the past, so this was somewhat different. We did half-half - the spicy was more aromatic and without szechuan peppercorns and the non-spicy seemed to have soy milk and jujubes and was therefore a touch sweet. Very tasty.
Ocean Jewels (39th/Prince),
Go Goon Tan (aka Han Shin Pocha) on 149th Place,
Su San Seafood on 149th Place,
Jang Tur (gook soo noodles) on Union just north of Northern

Standing up mouthfuls
Xin Xiang kabab carts. There are a few of these around Flushing, but the best of the bunch I think is the one on the corner of Main and Sanford. Lamb skewers are really good.

Sweet mouthfuls

Thirsty mouthfuls
If Wilfrid is to visit Flushing I have to warn him that THERE ARE NO BARS. I'm not kidding, I once took our galleygirl there and when she became thirsty we trooped around for what seemed hours. Finally we found an establishment that looked faintly bar-like. When we were buzzed in, it took us about 3 minutes to figure out that it was a hostess bar. That saying, there are plenty of fine drinking establishments very close by in Woodside, Sunnyside, etc.

If you're very desperate, you can drink at the Hyatt hotel bar.

The most regular looking bar is on Main near 41st Ave/Rd. It has an Irish name.

Shopping mouthfuls
Assi Plaza. Better yet is the Hanyang Mart on 150th and Northern.

Anything else?
Best baseball team with a payroll under $200 million - NY Mets

#6 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

I've broken off the discussion of these listings to a separate thread here.

I'll lock this thread, and it can be unlocked by an Admin when updates need to be made.