56 replies to this topic

#46 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and thoughts. I'll be printing this thread out for Trevor to read when he is ready. He is mostly just numb right now. As am I. It has been a rough few days in dealing with all of this.

Thanks Carolyn. IIRC you also had the difficult task of breaking to us the news about Bruce Frigard (winesonoma) (whose thread maybe also should have been pinned, or will that trend start getting too depressing?)

Anyway, we are lucky to have such a willing and caring go-between. Many thanks.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#47 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and thoughts. I'll be printing this thread out for Trevor to read when he is ready. He is mostly just numb right now. As am I. It has been a rough few days in dealing with all of this.

Thanks Carolyn. IIRC you also had the difficult task of breaking to us the news about Bruce Frigard (winesonoma) (whose thread maybe also should have been pinned, or will that trend start getting too depressing?)

Anyway, we are lucky to have such a willing and caring go-between. Many thanks.

Thank you, Fly... This HAS made me think a lot about Bruce lately as well. I never drive over the Golden Gate without thinking of him. I never knew Tuckerman but all our shared losts is a testament to how close our community is.

#48 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

So, so sad. A real loss for this community. My condolences to Trevor and to the rest of Julian's family and friends. And thank you, Carolyn, for writing so thoughtfully about the last days of 24k.
loser magnet

#49 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

What Bloviatrix said about being punched in the chest. This is sad, shocking, heartbreaking news.

I never met Julian in person, but I grew to love him through his marvelous posts here, and we exchanged PMs on several occasions. He sent me a sweet note when my father-in-law died.

Oh what a terrible loss. Thanks, Carrie, and please extend my love and condolences to Trevor and Julian's family and friends.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#50 ludja

ludja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

I just saw this thread today; it made me burst out in tears. Although I remember his mention of a hosptial stay earlier I did not realize how serious his condition was.

As others have mentioned, Julian quickly became an intelligent and wonderful presence on the board. He made a big impression on me with his unique combination of sweetness and wit and I truly looked forward to all his posts. Condolences to Trevor, Carolyn and to other friends and family. May he rest in peace.

Thank you for the very nice post, Carolyn.
In a man's letters his soul lies naked --- Samuel Johnson

#51 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:09 AM

What a shame. I have lost one very close friend in the same way, and more than a few acquaintances.

I never had any interaction with Julian, but I derived much enjoyment from reading his posts. His was a distinctive voice & I'm saddened that it's now silenced.

RIP Julian, I wish I'd gotten to know you.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#52 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

How sad. He was a person with substance, humor and humanity. He made an impact on people he met. My condolesces to his partner.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#53 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

Terrible. I always marveled at how nice, good humored he was. My condolences to Trevor and to those close to him.
"I mispoke."

#54 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

I don't know how I missed this. This is terribly sad news. Condolences to his partner Trevor, his friends and family. :blink:

#55 mcj

mcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:10 AM

I don't know how I missed this. This is terribly sad news. Condolences to his partner Trevor, his friends and family. :blink:

Likewise. I hadn't paid much attention to this part of the forum lately, but when I saw "24k", my heart just sank with a dreadful "Oh no".

My condolences to all who knew & loved him, especially Trevor.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." - Doug Larson

#56 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:56 AM

I was out of town when this thread developed. Yes, punched in the chest is a good description of my reaction. 24K shared such a zest for and irreverant joy of life. I had, in fact, a box of off-the-wall yarn I had planned to offer him.

Perhaps he continues to teach us: if you have love to share, do it now.

My sincerest sympathies to Trevor and his family.

#57 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

I think about him every time I come to mouthfulsfood.
Gone fishing for the summer.