17 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

I am so in love with Agata & Valentina (79th / 1st Ave.). I think it's the best of the upscale markets for the price - it competes with Eli's and the Vinegar Factory and Citarella's, etc., etc. And certainly it's my favorite on the east side.

Anyway...Saturday morning I went to buy fresh mozzarella (they make a very good one), and I ended up buying other cheeses as well. I bought something they call burrini, which is a riff on burrata....except instead of fresh mozzarella, it's aged mozzarella, and instead of the cheese being around a core of cream, it's around a core of butter. This is a seriously decadent, fantastic creation. At room temperature, when you slice it, the center oozes butter - and the cheeze already has a delicious buttery, smoky quality.

They make a riccotone, which is fresh ricotta that has been drained somewhat, so the texture gets closer to feta.

And of course scamorza, and primo sale, and fresh ricotta......

And the cheese guys really know their stuff.

I also bought the A&V house brand EVOO, and it's good. All the departments are good - meat, fish, charcuterie, bread, appetizing, produce....

Go. Enjoy. It's even not crazy expensive.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 Shermar

Shermar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

I lived very close to A&V for years and I agree with you its terrific! Try the lamb sausage(made on the premises), ditto the porchetta. The Sicilian EVOO is exceptional. The smoked salmon, the pates, the fresh cream cheese...I'm becoming verklempt.

Crowding is a problem even after expansion, especially before major holidays. Get there early!
Kitchen Kutie

FEED YOUR HEAD!

#3 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

Made a special journey today all the way to the East side to buy some Iberico Bellotta ham at A&V. It is worth the journey. Much cheaper ($100 lb vs $160 lb) here than at Despaņa, though it is machine sliced (oooh). This is a nice store and a dangerous one for me to shop in. I dropped $100 before I was done. The ham is delicious.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#4 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Did you check out the cheese department? Pretty darn good.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#5 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

Yup. Bought a hunk of Beaufort. Dangerous store for me, like I said. rolleyes.gif Just a bus ride away......
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#6 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

their chocolate mousse cake is incredible as well; always very good produce, often interesting items and a few dollars cheaper than D&D or Zabars..

#7 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

I just read that there will be a new branch of Agata & Valentina in the former D'Agostino spot on University Place in the Village.

Any recent experiences with the uptown one?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,915 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Not recent, but I too loved it when I used to go to the neighborhood regularly in the mid- to late 1980s. I think the fact that it has been around for as long as it has speaks well for it. I mean, who remembers J. Bildner?

I'm very interested in the new opening, since it is much closer for me, and just down the street from My Beloved Aunt Bette, so I will have yet another reason to visit with her.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

I went the day before the hurricane. It was a mob scene and I got in just before they put someone on the door to limit customers at ~10am. The procedure was that you were given a cart, got on line which snaked throughout the entire store, and you picked up your items as you walked past them on line. Everything is still of very good quality, and their prices tend to be equal, or a dollar or two cheaper than, competitors. Fish and meat counters remain very good. Prepared food is decent. Breads, etc. are of a very high quality. All of the standard yuppy foodstuffs are available.

#10 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

The University Place branch is supposed to open May 27 or thereabouts.

#11 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Well it opened late yesterday and I popped in today. Butcher and fish depts look good. They are still filling the shelves for a lot of things. Very oddly laid out; feels like a rabbit warren and there's only one way out (at the moment at least) to the cashiers, so you have to retrace all your steps if you go back to the beginning as the aisles are not open at both ends. Picked up some prepared slaw --not your usual with mayo, but with rice wine vinegar; bread and salami. Pretty good. The check out folk are going to get very sore backs if the checkouts remain the same as the counter is so very low.

There's a little section at front with communal seating selling sandwiches etc.

Too soon to say how this will compare with Citarella. The ranges of prosciutto, hams and pates here look more impressive though.

#12 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

I've been to the new store 4 times now. We were disappointed with their porterhouse and chicken--both were unremarkable. Their chicken and basil sausage is good though. So, I'll still be going to Citarella for meat and poultry.

Their range of bread isn't that expansive. They do have a Sullivan round that I hadn't seen before and that was nice. They have Rosetta? rolls that are good.

Bread pudding was much too dense for my taste. Panna cotta was quite good, though a little too much gelatin, g. thought.

Overall a plus in the nabe.

#13 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

I wandered in a few days ago just to check it out, not shop, and it looks fairly promising but is very weirdly laid out.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#14 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

I wandered in a few days ago just to check it out, not shop, and it looks fairly promising but is very weirdly laid out.

It makes more sense when you realize that the manager is a minotaur.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#15 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

It makes more sense when you realize that the manager is a minotaur.

:lol:
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.