185 replies to this topic

#91 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,431 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

That looks wonderful, Daniel. They certainly pile on the meat.

I chuckled at "just another Peruvian-Chinese restaurant...". Most places would kill for even one Peruvian Chinese or similar restaurant.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#92 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

766 Trumbull St
Elizabeth NJ

So, it's been awhile since I went to a new place for lunch.. Considering all I do is eat dinner out, I have been happy to cook what little i can in my office toaster.. Sure, it's not some great meal but, cooking is cooking.. And, cooking in my little office toaster makes me happy..

Ok.. So this place caught my interest a couple of weeks ago while i was dropping a customer off at the train.. It is a fairly new structure and was built very well. It has changed hands three times in the last couple of years.. Most recently being Santos Deli. Santos is a very popular name from Portugal. They served really good chicken, some baked things and the occasional fish special. I went every so often with my mother or these guys from Israel who would eat the fish there.

Now it is called Cheeseburgao and it has a Brazilian Flag outside..

Posted Image

Having heard wonderful things about Brazilian Sandwiches, I was expecting a bit more.. Instead, they either had chicken or hamburger sandwiches and the basic sort of sliced deli meats. Ham and cheese subs.. The Cheeseburger and Chicken Sandwich menu was spiced up a bit.. Offering Ham, Pinepple, Mayo, Corn, Potato Sticks, Bacon, Mozzarella, type toppings.. I started to get a little excited..

I ordered a burger with ham, mozzarella, bacon, corn, mayo, and potato sticks.. When I was presented the burger, I started to get even more excited..

Posted Image

Then I opened it up and I got even more, more excited.. But, then I looked down at the rock hard grey and dried out patties. If it was made of beef or paper maiche, I could not tell.. The fries were battered and very good.. Bun was good, the flavors were good, it just all went to shit when it came down to the patty..

Posted Image

Place was empty, it took 18 minutes for our food to come out.. I am guessing 18 of the minutes were spent transforming an old shoe into my burger patties..

Sweet people.. the place was empty.. Excited to see what the new sign is going to say in a couple of months.. Because, this place can't survive..

So... Is this place still open?

#93 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

tricky question as most likely the place is open...however, are the same people there, well, that's a different story. the magic 8 ball says, ask again later.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#94 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Went today to Uruguay Pizzeria... It's a little shop located at 815 3rd ave, in Elizabeth's old Italian Section. Three woman sat at the counter eating bread and some sort of homemade jam. Across the street is a large Portuguese Bakery and next to that is a sad looking Italian Deli.. I bought a couple of pounds of sweet sausage.. It's doesn't look that great.. We will see. It's the type of scenario where I felt badly about leaving empty handed. 8 dollars in the register when i paid for my 6dollars worth of sausage.

But, it is more of a restaurant than a Pizzeria. I ordered a slice of a what looks like an Easter pie and I asked for a slice of pizza with mozarella.. The plain slice looked more like a wedge off a large square of garlic bread, covered with some sort of cheese. The pizza was actually pretty nice.. Tasted like garlic bread with sauce and cheese.. I have the easter pie in the oven..

I found out that Elizabeth has one of the countries largest concentration of people from Uruguay and that there is a large Italian influence in Uruguay. The do the same monthly ravioli or gnocchi thing they do in Argentina.

So, Uruguay Pizzeria seems to be a place where you would have a better time sitting down and ordering a plate of food as opposed to getting pizza.. Though, the pizza, not that bad, as long as you call it cheesy garlic bread.

#95 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,431 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Went today to Uruguay Pizzeria... It's a little shop located at 815 3rd ave, in Elizabeth's old Italian Section. Three woman sat at the counter eating bread and some sort of homemade jam. Across the street is a large Portuguese Bakery and next to that is a sad looking Italian Deli.. I bought a couple of pounds of sweet sausage.. It's doesn't look that great.. We will see. It's the type of scenario where I felt badly about leaving empty handed. 8 dollars in the register when i paid for my 6dollars worth of sausage.

But, it is more of a restaurant than a Pizzeria. I ordered a slice of a what looks like an Easter pie and I asked for a slice of pizza with mozarella.. The plain slice looked more like a wedge off a large square of garlic bread, covered with some sort of cheese. The pizza was actually pretty nice.. Tasted like garlic bread with sauce and cheese.. I have the easter pie in the oven..

I found out that Elizabeth has one of the countries largest concentration of people from Uruguay and that there is a large Italian influence in Uruguay. The do the same monthly ravioli or gnocchi thing they do in Argentina.

So, Uruguay Pizzeria seems to be a place where you would have a better time sitting down and ordering a plate of food as opposed to getting pizza.. Though, the pizza, not that bad, as long as you call it cheesy garlic bread.

Thanks for that report.

There are several Peruvian and Ecuadorian places in Elizabeth, where Westfield Ave crosses under the train station embankment. It's a tough place to access with lots of one way streets, minimal parking, etc but I want to get there and walk around.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#96 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Mi Columbia
104 Elmora Ave

Located in Elmora Ave, I have never been to this side of the tracks before.. It seems to have a Jewish Population here.. Getting out of my car, I noticed a Glatt Kosher CHinese restaurant, A Kosher Butcher, a place called Jerusalem. Jerusalem was a pizza place I believe.. There were tons of orthodox little kids eating lunch, on their way back to school.. When I use to take the train in from Manhattan, there would be kids on their way to school, it never thought about where in Elizabeth they were going.

So, my mother, Miss DD, tells me that a lady at the nail salon says this place has the best Empanadas outside of Columbia. So, we are off.

Half the space is a bakery where you can get anything from Empanadas to homemade multigrain bread. It all looks very good but, we are not there for bread..

We sit down in the restaurant.. It's a nice space, open, airy, clean.. Waitress walks over, she starts speaking Spanish but, notices were are having a conversation in English.. She switched to English which was a relief.. Obviously, we could have ordered but, it was nice to hear explanations.. Menu in Spanish and English in certain parts..

I ordered the Typical Columbia Plate. This came with a Columbian Sausage, large amount of beans, fried egg, flank steak, rice, a large piece of pork rind, maduro, and an avocado.. It was enough for two people and luckily my mother only ordered an empanada. Because after she quickly ate hers, we got a second plate and she was digging in.. They also came with a side of that spicy garlicky green sauce.. I asked for mojo and they brought the green sauce.

The empanada was filled with meat and potato, kind of more like a croquetta than an empanada I am use to..

Service was super friendly, the food came out quickly.. Lunch was 20 bucks with my mother's classy 4 dollar cappuccino. Next door was Rocky's Pollo A la Brasa, which I want to try now..

But, this place was really nice. The sausage was great, the flank steak though cooked through was garlicky and not dry.. The maduro was not soggy or overly sweet.. It was just a really nice, stick your ribs plate of food..

#97 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,431 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Elizabeth NJ has a very substantial Jewish community, much of it Orthodox. Elmora Avenue near the Jersey Central tracks (where you were) is at the heart of it. Had you continued west / northwest on Elmora Avenue for a few more blocks, you'd pass at least two synagogues, a large elementary and high school, and other community organizations. The community has been a bedrock for developing sometimes blighted neighborhoods and spurring economic activity.

Just past the Mi Colombia restaurant is Jerusalem Pizza. I think I posted a walking tour of this neighborhood a few years ago. I'll have to look for it.

...Jonathan Waxman

#98 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yes, yes.. I had mentioned that place Jerusalem.. I would love to hear about your walking tour!

Mi Bohio
  • 985 South Elmora Ave.,
    Elizabeth, NJ 07202
  • Phone: 908-820-9690

Is the place we were supposed to go to but, i messed up and brought us to this place.. We will have to try Mi Bohio next time.. The thought of Kosher Pizza, has very little appeal to me.

#99 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

So there is this Dominican Place that has been around for at least two years that I go to sometimes.. The place is dirt cheap, the food is honest, stick to your ribs, and often times delicious.. This morning I wanted to get the typical breakfast.. It includes some baked eggs, beans, sausage, pork rind, plantains and creme.. You know, a light little something..

But, their mofongo is great, their daily specials on the steam table are really nice. I like their soups, their stews, pretty much everything they serve..

as I walked in , they were taking two huge pernils out in a metal baking container.. They were beautiful, it had that dark crusty sticky glazed top.. Half way submerged in its cooking juices, Well, how could I resist..

I got a large plate of boiled yuca with garlic, lime and onions, I asked for extra mojo.. They then topped the yuca, which I had them stop adding to the container as I was certain to eat it all.. It was all topped with the pernil or roasted pork... The tongs sunk right into the soft meat and they portioned off about a half pound or so.. They offered me rice and beans and a side of chicken soup.. I declined..

Breakfast/lunch was 5 dollars on the nose.. It is so good.. Only depressing thing, being done eating for the day until dinner.

Posted Image

#100 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Another plate of food from the Dominican Place.. Chicken and garlic, rice with pigeon peas, more yuca.. I need to jog home from work today.. 5 bucks with Pina Soda.

my screen is so dark on this computer..

Posted Image

#101 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

More from the Dominican spot.. This was some kind of stewed pork belly and shoulder.. It was so good. very deep flavor. Rice, yucca and a soda. 5 bonez.

This is what my desk looks like after coming back from a business trip

Posted Image

#102 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Had ropa vieja for lunch today at El Palmar.. Grabbed a couple of bags of chicharrones on the way out.. Sitting here at my desk eating pork rinds.. These can't be good for me.

#103 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Went to Kylie's Place on Elizabeth Avenue. It's a small little restaurant with plastic brick on the walls. They have a steam table and also offer papusas.

After looking at the steam table, I ordered myself salt cod in a red sauce and for my mother, I ordered her stuffed string beans in red sauce, with mozzarella.. It was a really interesting dish.. Essentially it was string beans and mozzarella that were encased in this egg "egg foo young" sort of mixture.. It was portioned in little patties.. The cheese was all melted and stringy.. My mother loved this dish..

We also ordered a few papusas.. They served homemade pickled onions for the yucca, they also had a few homemade hot sauces in there that were really nice..

They had coke from Honduras.

#104 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

558 Elizabeth Avenue

(908)289-5533

I have been to Kylie's Place a few times in the last couple of months. My mother comes to have lunch with me and we like to explore various places in Elizabeth NJ. Our most recent place has been Kylie's Place Restaurant or Kylie's Restaurant Place. All we know for sure is, this place is a restaurant, serving some really lovely food from El Salvador. Whether or not a Kylie exists, has yet to be confirmed.

Posted Image

The restaurant itself is not much to look at. It's the type of place you would drive by a hundred times and not even notice it. Then, after getting out of your car and noticing it, you might not even want to enter the place. It's tiny, there are plastic sheets of fake brick screwed to the walls, there is a tiny little steam counter and a small fridge holing some sodas. There may be room for 6 tables.

Posted Image

The first time we came here there were two options for lunch. The first option being this green bean and mozarella cheese stuffed egg foo young type dish, sitting in a tomato sauce.. It was called, Ejotes Rellenos de Queso. It was delicious. My mother ordered this dish and was in love. For the next two weeks, everyday she would send me an email asking to go back there for lunch.

Finally, we went back and they had a similar dish but, with potatoes. Some fried egg foo young shell, stuffed with potatoes and cheese sitting in a tomato sauce. It was served with plantains and rice and beans. The plate was 7.5 dollars and comes with a drink.

Posted Image

The first couple of times I had gone there, I ordered a stuffed cod fish dish which is delicious. The next time or two I went, I ordered, the pupusas. Now, if you are not familiar with what a pupusa is, I suggest you run out and find your nearest pupusaria. These are wonderful little stuffed discs that are made with masa. You essentially make these discs and then stuff cheese and pork or whatever you like into them. You then put them on a griddle and serve them with a slaw and a salsa. Similar to an arepa but, better. Very traditional in El Salvadoran Food.

Homemade salsa, homemade pickled peppers, homemade coleslaw.

Posted Image

Topped:

Posted Image\

I am telling you, you need these guys in your life. You will be a better person for it!

Great little spot. If you are in the area,

#105 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Stopped by the local Portuguese Spot. Picked up a literal tray of cuttlefish and squid in a tomato sauce seasoned with green pepper. Large container of rice and some awesome Portuguese Bread. 14 bucks. Three people in my office had large plates and there is still more to eat.

It's a freaking tray:

Posted Image

Posted Image