52 replies to this topic

#46 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

It's about time. I think it's still better than most Japanese restaurants in town, although probably two stars or somewhat less at its current level by nytimes standards.

When Parm gets two, it's hard to deny three to Kyo Ya.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#47 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Exactly, and Sugiyama should be a shoe-in for four.

#48 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

It's about time. I think it's still better than most Japanese restaurants in town, although probably two stars or somewhat less at its current level by nytimes standards.

When Parm gets two, it's hard to deny three to Kyo Ya.

True, true. Maybe there should be two scales - one for food and one for fast food sandwiches.

In terms of Japanese places, I think it's more important that he gives Brushstroke a star than that he does anything to Sugiyama, just to put things in order.

p.s. oddly, the dish in their slideshow where it's easiest to see the decline is the sweet potato tempura. Not that it's necessarily worse now, but originally this was a perfect sphere of mashed potato fried up like a giant croquette and served with salt, now it's just a piece of potato. Almost every dish had this same simplification applied to it - like the oysters were served at the perfect temperature and each was topped with some radish and sauce and now they're just served raw, too warm, and with the sauces on the side.
I never said that

#49 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,264 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

This is too bad. The old sweet potato tempura was a thing of beauty.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#50 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

We went to Kyo Ya in 2010 with Bonjwing. Here's the photo he took of the sweet potato tempura.

#51 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

We went to Kyo Ya in 2010 with Bonjwing. Here's the photo he took of the sweet potato tempura.

Is the red ring around the poatato the skin or something else?

#52 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

That's already the second generation.
I never said that

#53 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Great dinner here. I had been before, a while ago, for the kaiseki menu. This time we ordered à la carte and I preferred being able to choose what I wanted.

Among the cold starters we ordered -- from the seasonal page of the à la carte menu -- we loved the hokkaido scallop with water shield in a tomatoey, almost jellied broth; and the jade eggplant with green beans and ginger, in a broth of similar texture but different flavour. A very delicate seaweed in a broth was also good.

The six-week fermented squid, a seasonal special on the raw fish menu, was a little tough to love, but likable and no doubt very healthy. It came with separately plated, marinated shrimp. A whole grilled small fish -- not quite sure of the name -- was served with an entire, tiny, fried crab (the size of your thumb) to eat, a pickled mountain peach, and a traditional plum juice and vinegar dipping sauce. Very good.

Finally, the bowl of raw shrimp, marinated ikura, and snow crab over warm rice was delicious; and the sea eel pressed sushi was also very good.

No misses. Ordering à la carte is still expensive, about $60 per person before tip for just the right amount of food, but we saved money by getting their excellent tea instead of sake. I really like how the atmosphere has a very Japanese feeling, formal/casual thing going on. The service was professional and caring. Perfect timing serving the dishes, although we told them we had a time constraint since we were going to the ballet, so they maybe accelerated things -- in a good way. I could happily eat here more often.