1064 replies to this topic

#31 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:35 PM

What's the big news there? That they're making a profit?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#32 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,401 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

What's the big news there? That they're making a profit?

The news is they have lots of room to profit and significantly lower costs to the consumer. Prices will come down.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#33 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

Through third party re-sellers?

I will definitely get one, but not soon. Will wait for prices, and for improvements.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#34 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

Early adopters always end up paying more; one presumes this helps recoup research and development costs (which are not factored in to the production cost).
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#35 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

This article has some predictions of where the price is headed.

#36 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,558 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Okay... Friend Tom came over this evening for dinner and I spent an hour playing with his phone.

It is official. The company is going to finance the change -- we all must have one. It is too cool for words.

The pictures are stunning. The IPod funcationality is astonishing. Voicemails show up as sound files (meaning you can scroll back a little to hear a missed segment). It is gorgeous and clean and the video quality outstanding.

From an IT point of view (as opposed to the "this is cool" point of view) making a piece of hardware that has been on sale for less than a week a corporate standard is beyond stupid.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#37 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

Okay... Friend Tom came over this evening for dinner and I spent an hour playing with his phone.

It is official. The company is going to finance the change -- we all must have one. It is too cool for words.

The pictures are stunning. The IPod functionality is astonishing. Voicemails show up as sound files (meaning you can scroll back a little to hear a missed segment). It is gorgeous and clean and the video quality outstanding.

From an IT point of view (as opposed to the "this is cool" point of view) making a piece of hardware that has been on sale for less than a week a corporate standard is beyond stupid.

Depends on your perspective AND your business model. Being a small IT company, we look really bitch'n to our clients to have all the latest techno-gadgets. Seriously. It may appear stupid or even superficial, but it is effective I assure you.

That adage, "the one who dies with the most toys wins" is a mind-set in our industry and boys are always enamored with whatever toys the other boys have. They covet and are impressed and when I am dealing with some 20-something bloke who drives a Lamborghini and dates super-models, having something like an IPhone will work to my advantage.

Yes, there is MY covet value and I am fortunate to run a company that can be a guinea pig to this new industry. Small price to pay (in the long run) for the advantages it will give me and our firm.

#38 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

Maybe I'm forgetting something obvious, but has MS ever produced a decent hardware product? They failed with WebTv and their iPod competitor (whatever that was called). I'm sure Apple is more concerned about Palm, Motorola and Nokia.

Read through the thread and saw this. Microsoft has indeed made great hardware. I would estimate the last 5 mice and keyboards I've had were Microsoft. In fact, of the three or four people I know here that have Mac Pros, every single one of them has a Microsoft mouse, and most have a Microsoft keyboard due to Apple's insistence that ergonomics don't extend to your hands or something. Split keyboards and middle buttons 4 lyfe!
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#39 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

EddieL, I hope you report back soon. Is it charging now?
I want to hate it but I can't. I'd love one.

My order status is showing that the phone is back-ordered. Can't say that I'm surprised... :lol:

I've seen blog posts from people who ordered theirs the same way I did (at the AT&T store) who've already received 'em.

Early adopters always end up paying more; one presumes this helps recoup research and development costs (which are not factored in to the production cost).

Anyone (such as myself) who buys one of these things on first release should be prepared to see a thinner, faster, slicker model with improved battery life, etc., within a year. Probably at a lower cost. When that happens, you won't hear me whining about it. As I said, buying this thing is an indulgence, not a necessity.

#40 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Just played with one in the Apple store in Palo Alto -- geek central. It is very beautiful. I can't have one as I live in the UK, which has saved me the money: it is an absolute must have. I would buy one immediately if I lived here.

#41 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Just played with one in the Apple store in Palo Alto -- geek central. It is very beautiful. I can't have one as I live in the UK, which has saved me the money: it is an absolute must have. I would buy one immediately if I lived here.

I just got home from the San Francisco Apple store... even the packaging is a beautiful thing to behold.

I'll be offline for a while, playing with the new gadget!

#42 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,401 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

I just got home from the San Francisco Apple store... even the packaging is a beautiful thing to behold.

You can't post from your new phone?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#43 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

You can't post from your new phone?

It will take AT&T at least 24 hours to transfer my account from T-Mobile. But after that.... :lol:

#44 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

As a card carrying luddite, I have never owned a cell phone. But I am tempted. Maybe version 2, though.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#45 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

Okay, so far the headache is wholly and entirely with AT&T. Activation process is in hour #2 and is going to take a LOT longer. To do this online, there is no way to bundle with any of their other existing services (I have their DSL) or their Worldwide service.

AND, you need to have this illusive pre-approved credit check code. The folks at AT&T insist that it is included on the Apple receipt (where?) and if not, you must go to one of their stores to get it. Okay, so I am here with the phone and I have to go back out to get a few digits to make this work?

Trying work-arounds at the moment (like a pre-paid account - then I'll convert it).