52 replies to this topic

#46 cabrales

cabrales

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:56 PM

I have wanted to buy a duck press for a while. I learned from Lucas Carton that they sold the duck press they used to have in their dining room to another customer, and I was too late. This one looks kind of "squat", but the price is not bad currently.

I was intrigued by the duck press displays on the ground floor of La Tour d'Argent, and I plan to go back in the next few years to get my second duck number.

#47 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

Yes, this is a very cheap price at the moment, an it would look better cleaned up. But, actually I prefer the look of the brass numbers.

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born,
and sets a food discussion site?

#48 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

Success on the woodcock front at last!! Got one from Wyndhams at Borough yesterday. I had to ask about it, then the guy went into the storeroom and brought one out, wings still attached and feathers on. Watching him prepare it was pretty interesting, took out the eyes and tucked the beak through the thighs. It was 8.50 and he was embarrased that they cost that much so he threw in a partridge for free!! Nice guy and the quality of the birds there is always superb - also beautifully prepped and presented.

I gave it a simple roast after searing it in butter, put some of the trail in a brandy/wine/demiglace sauce and the rest on toast. I gave it 18 minutes in a very hot oven, and it came out still a little pink, although a hair more done than I would have liked. I thought the bird was very good rather than great, the fragrance of grouse remains the ultimate game taste for me. I enjoyed the much whiter meat around the legs and the interesting slightly fatty layer between the legs and back, not something I've noticed in other birds so much. I loved the slightly metallic/ammoniac tinge of the trail - wonderful - but wasn't so blown away by the brain, I was expecting it to be a bit jucier and gelatinous. A great experience allround though. I think I need to eat a restaurant version to give me some comparison....

I think my count for the season is:

Partridge 10 or so
Mallard 1
Grouse 2
Teal 1
Wood Pidgeon 2
Woodcock 1

Not long to go though.
:blush:
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

Lukacs on Adorno, but....

#49 Maurice Naughton

Maurice Naughton

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

I've been thrashing around through my notebooks for a while and I finally found this. It's in quotes, so I must have stolen it from someone: "Pochard, Gadwall, Goldeneye, Mallard, Pintail, Shoveller, Teal, Tufted Duck and Wigeon
are the [duck] species shot in Britain."

I suppose none of them but teal and mallard are available in the US. Anybody know of mail-order sources for others?
Cambridge University Professor of Electrical Engineering, Sir Charles Oatley, in October, 1948, along with his student Dennis McMullan, began the research that led to the production of the first scanning electron microscope in 1965.

I thought you'd want to know.

#50 ranitidine

ranitidine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

Of all those mentioned, Maurice, only Pochard is not found in the wild in North America. In fact, we have two species of teal and two of goldeneye. However, I would think many of them would taste too fishy to eat. Goldeneye would be one such example.
"Say not the struggle nought availeth...."
Arthur Hugh Clough, 1819-1861

Arise ye prisoners of starvation
Arise ye wretched of the earth

#51 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

Alex, I am so jealous. During the years I lived in Soho, the game selection at Randall and Aubin was so splendid that I would eat a bird a week throughout the season. :blush:
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#52 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Not just squirrels and rats anymore:

http://evgrieve.com/...n-tompkins.html
I never said that

#53 Wilfrid

Wilfrid