178 replies to this topic

#1 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

I got home last night after spending part of a week in New Orleans helping a friend produce the food for a wedding in the Quarter. Needless to say, we did not go hungry. I will try to remember all the places where we dined.

Cafe Adelaide and the Swizzle Stick Bar - we did the cocktail pairing dinner here for our first meal in the city. Cafe Adelaide is located in the new Lowe's Hotel on Poydras. Chef Danny and the Mixologist Lu did incredible things with food and booze. My favorite course was, I think, the seared fois gras with fois gras brioche, fois gras ganache and blueberries served with a classic sidecar.

Breakfast Thursday morning was at the Cafe Beignet on Royal next to the cop shop. THose beignet things are soooo addictive.

We had to do a bit of running around Thursday rounding up last minute things and in the process, I found La Divina Gelateria on Magazine. I have to agree with the New York Post that they have some of the best Gelato in the nation. Period.

For lunch a bunch of us met up at Cochon and reveled in a celebration of excess to all good things pork. I had to take a nap after this feast.

Thursday night we did a bar crawl with remoulade tasting, Bombay Club, Arnaud's and Dickie Brennans Bourbon House. Arnaud's was the most dissappointing of the places we went. The bartender had now idea how to make a sidecar. Shame on him and at Arnaud's. Plus, their shrimp remoulade was the least interesting of the night.

Friday was spent prepping for the wedding on Saturday. Then with dinner at K-Paul's on the horizon for that night, we decided to check out Finn McCools out in Mid-City near where I used to live. Great Neighborhood place. Then we decided to pick up a little pre dinner snack, we we hit Parkway Bakery for po' boys, the shrimp was great. I really did try to not eat too much so we split that sandwich.

Dinner at K-Paul's was interesting, my first time there. I had a variation of the Snapper pecan using trout and spicing up the pecans a bit more. Plus, we had lessons in how to speak cajun, AAAAEEEEEE.

Saturday morning I was off to the Farmers Market early to pick up a box of Creole tomatos for one of our dishes then we went to the Columns on St Charles for breakfast. Not a great breakfast but the entertainment of being served by Jazz made up for it. Oh, back to the farmers market, while we were there, La Divina, the gelato place was picking up their milk from Smith Creamery. THen back to prepping for the wedding. For lunch we sent a runner off to Parkway to pick up po'boys to for everyone. the hot sausage was even better than the shrimp and I am able to understand the fame of their roast beef. THose sandwiches are like crack, I need one now. The wedding went off and everyone was happy, the bride was beautiful.

Sunday morning, I got up early and did a little visiting of a city that I love and just drove all over the place. Had a cup of Cafe au Lait and read the Sunday paper at CC's coffee house on Magazine. THen when the rest of the crew started recovering from their saturday night excesses, we decided to go to Camilla grill for a late breakfast, but the line was long so we walked around the corner to Refuel and had a delightful brunch. I had a very good omelette with a side of andouille and some grits. THen we went off to refind La Divina for those who missed it the first time. THis time, I had the Dark Chocolate and the Banana, that banana was great, very bright banana flavor, I know they used real bananas and not a bought puree just from the way it tasted. Then it was off to Parisol for a game of Pin Ball. After that I dropped everyone off somewhere and went back to the hotel for a nap. AFter a little discussion, we decided to take up a recommendation to eat dinner at Luke (I don't know how to put those dots over the "u") and between the 5 of us, we tried a good portion of the menu which was pretty much the same as the one they have on-line. THe menu is a very German and Alsacian influenced, a great change of pace.

Monday morning was my first disappointment. THere was a convience store in Eudora in the Arkansas Delta that I always stopped at because the soul food plates were always so good. It was closed. So my drive home was pretty uneventful and boring.

Dining with that crowd was fun, one needs to not be too shy to dine with them becasue there was a lot of everyone eating off of everyone else's plates.

Good Food and Good Friends really are an important part of any meal.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'm envious!

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,343 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

Those sandwiches are like crack, I need one now.

Sounds like a sig line. ;)

I'm glad to hear that significant parts of the food infrastructure are back in place. That's good news.

Continental Airlines was offering very cheap airfares from the NY area and Houston to Nawlins a few weeks ago. May be time to put on the feed bag...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

Those sandwiches are like crack, I need one now.

Sounds like a sig line. ;)

I'm glad to hear that significant parts of the food infrastructure are back in place. That's good news.

Continental Airlines was offering very cheap airfares from the NY area and Houston to Nawlins a few weeks ago. May be time to put on the feed bag...

Thanks for pointing that sig line out. I will change it now.

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,343 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

The menu for the JazzFest sounds pretty good.

FOOD AREA I

1. Crawfish Bread, Shrimp Bread, Sausage & Jalapeno Bread; Panaroma Foods, Marksville, LA

2. Cajun Jambalaya, Fried Chicken; Catering Unlimited, New Orleans, LA

3. Fresh Squeezed Lemonade, *Fruit Salad; Joyce's Lemonade, New Orleans, LA

4. Hot Sausage Po-Boy, Crawfish Sausage Po-Boy; Vaucresson Sausage Co., New Orleans, LA

5. Pecan Catfish Meuniere, Seafood Mirliton Casserole, Fried Crab Cake w/ Smoked Tomato & Jalapeno Tartar; C.P.G. Catering, Mandeville, LA

6. Alligator Pie, Crabmeat Stuffed Shrimp, *Fried Green Tomatoes; Cajun Nights Catering, Metairie, LA

8. Muffuletta, *Vegetarian Muffuletta, Roast Beef Po-Boy, Turkey Giardiniera Po-Boy; DiMartino's Famous Muffulettas, Gretna, LA

And, it goes on for 55 more items

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm here at the IACP convention and enjoying a moment in the Hospitality Suite.
I didn't want to come, as St Joan will attest but wow- whatta' town! I can't imagine what it was like full of drunken tourists but as is, it's great and the food has been pretty good. Our first dinner was at Couchon. Last night was fab at Upperline which is just as kooky/gorgeous as it is delicious. Possibly the best duck I've ever done ate.
Of course the best thing of all is breakfast at Cafe de Monde. I could live there.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

Your first time, I take it?

It is fun. I assume you'll check out the French Market.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,343 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Apr 17 2008, 03:16 PM) View Post
I didn't want to come, as St Joan will attest but wow- whatta' town! I can't imagine what it was like full of drunken tourists but as is, it's great and the food has been pretty good. Our first dinner was at Couchon, which was good but I think the whole hog thing is less exciting than it may have been a few years ago. Last night was fab at Upperline which is just as kooky/gorgeous as it is delcious. Possibly the best duck I've ever done ate.
Of course the best thing of all is breakfast at Cafe de Monde. I could live there.

Is this the first Rancho Gordo post that doesn't mention beans in some way?

...Jonathan Waxman

#9 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Apr 17 2008, 02:16 PM) View Post
IACP convention

International Association of Chiefs of Police
International Association of Canine Professionals
International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy
Iowa Association of Community Providers
International Association for China Planning
Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
Individual Academic and Career Plan
International Association of Chinese Pathologists
Institute for Automation and Control Processes
Idaho Association of Chiropractic Physicians

Then maybe...

International Association of Culinary Professionals

Enjoy the IACP Cocktail

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#10 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Apr 17 2008, 12:42 PM) View Post
IACP convention

International Association of Chiefs of Police
International Association of Canine Professionals
International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy
Iowa Association of Community Providers
International Association for China Planning
Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
Individual Academic and Career Plan
International Association of Chinese Pathologists
Institute for Automation and Control Processes
Idaho Association of Chiropractic Physicians

Then maybe...

International Association of Culinary Professionals

Enjoy the IACP Cocktail

Good one, Peter! And in NOLA, they could all be there at once. Before it gets too muggy.
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,343 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

The International Association of Chiefs of Police would have a field day in Nawlins. An abundance of riches.

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

Make sure you get a muffaletta at Central Grocery.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#13 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

Is it the International Association of Coolwhip Professionals?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#14 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

I didn't want to come, as St Joan will attest but wow- whatta' town! I can't imagine what it was like full of drunken tourists but as is, it's great and the food has been pretty good. Our first dinner was at Couchon, which was good but I think the whole hog thing is less exciting than it may have been a few years ago. Last night was fab at Upperline which is just as kooky/gorgeous as it is delcious. Possibly the best duck I've ever done ate.
Make sure you get out of the Quarter, the CBD, and the Warehouse district and take a ride up Magazine street. Look for La Divina Gelateria. The best in the entire south probably without a doubt. Some pretty good shopping there also.

Also, get to the Parkway Bakery over off Bayou St John for a Po'Boy.

Your first time? Enjoy, and if you have some late night time get to Tipitina's at the foot of Napolean and do some drinking and some dancing. This place is much more New Orleans than House of Blues will ever be.

#15 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

It was the culinary folks, of course.
I was just there for three days so I had the most superficial trip imaginable but it was still great. I was on a panel with Pim and Judith Klinger (who is my most favorite new friend right now). The IACP programs seemed pretty good and I think I'm going to join. The vast majority of members are incredibly smart women of a certain age and they are a lot of fun. And I didn't realize how many people I knew would be there.
I saw our own SuzanneF, looking chic and fine, and she as always was generous in introducing me to new people (she's my Lorna Sass connection, among others). Apparently The Society had a crew there. I got to meet Nancy Zavlasky who is one of my faves (Cooks Tour of Mexico), Marilyn Tausend, lovely Rachel Laudan and even Natalie Dupree (the southern cooking lady who must be very confused by Paula Deen's success.) One night I was having dinner with the editor of Country Home and two editors from Saveur and my friend Carrie Brown from Jimtown and I thought back to my old lonely days of selling beans all by myself and being so jealous of the people with the tomatoes or honey sticks who seemed to be actually selling things instead of explaing. Then I threw my champagne goblet into the fireplace and roared a devious, triumphant laugh, swearing to the gods that me and my people would never go hungry again. Or we just ordered coffee. I'm not sure which.
As for NO, you can tell it's a little sad and melancholy but I'm grateful I got to see it like this. Seeing the square where President Bush made his dramatic speech right after the storm made me quite mad at him because the progress had been so slow and of the government is for anything, it should be for situations like Katrina. I don't this is political as he could easily have been an inept Democrat.
My food was: Cochon,Very good and casual and fun. I don't think this place was designed to be such a focus of attention. The Upperline, which was great and full of NO atmosphere. The duck was the best I've ever had. Last night was someplace off Washington Park and off the beaten path and I don't remember the name but it was good and worth it if you need to get away from heavy food for awhile.
Every morning was beignet and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde, once with Carrie, once solo and once with Pim and a friend who it turns out I'd met.
The conference was at the Hilton but Carrie and I stayed at the Monteleone and I am very thankful for that.
Everywhere I went I sampled the sazeracs. They varied wildly.
I'm leaving much out but I am thinking this is too much anyway.
I have to go back. And often.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed