9 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin

Merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:40 AM

Ha. That about wraps it up. I planned to eat at some of the cutting edge Lima restaurants but the planes were so late coming and going that I couldn't. Sigh. Oh well, even in the local dives the fish was lovely. They have a fresh water trout that has pink flesh like salmon that is delicious, and a pleasure to eat because it can be easily boned.

No surprise, the best fish I ate was in Puno at Lake Titicaca. A trout with white flesh with a taste that rivaled my experiences with fresh caught Rainbows.

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

I had alpaca steak in Cuzco--it reminded me of kangaroo. I liked it but I don't remember it being tough. Cuzco, not so oddly because it's such a tourist destination for people from all over the world, was a place where I had excellent pizza---and this was after a five-day trek and horrific altitude sickness--I was the dead woman at Dead Womans Pass. So the pizza must have been truly memorable 'cause I wasn't eating a lot for those few days after the trek. As for Lima, never have I had such delicious rock shrimp, fish, etc. I managed to order ceviche at every meal save breakfast for three days (which believe me is as long a time as you'd want to be in Lima).
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:23 PM

Okay, I had to look it up. A bit like a llama, apparently:

Posted Image

I imagine the meat is very lean, like kangaroo meat, and therefore shouldn't be overcooked.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:25 PM

I think he knows you're talking about him.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#5 Merlin

Merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:44 AM

Daisy! You are exactly right about the pizza in Peru and especially Cuzco. It is fabulous. Thin crispy crust baked in wood-fired ovens everywhere. Much like the pizza I had a few weeks ago at Zuni Cafe.

As far as your altitude sickness is concerned...were you drinking Mate de Coca (tea) and chewing coca leaves? I am sure that coca is the only reason I survived over 14,000 feet without getting sick.

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,604 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:03 PM

I took Diamox, I drank the mate de coca, I chewed the leaves (yuck!) Who knows, perhaps if I had not done all the above I might have actually expired. I was easily winded and lightheaded until about 13,500 feet. The problems arose at altitudes above that--I believe we were above 14,000 for some time. My hands and feet turned a hue not unlike that of the Peruvian purple potato and tingled (this tingling persisted intermittently for several months after) and I vomited quite a bit. Not fun when you're hiking eight hours a day. I had asthma medication with me---I have fairly mild asthma--which helped a little. But I still managed to have a wonderful time. It's one of the most beautiful spots on earth I'd reckon.

Bummer about the altitude sickness because I am dying to go trekking in Tibet. But having researched altitude sickness a bit, I've learned that a. one does not always fall prey---Hillary got it on one of his later Everest climbs--and b. it may be possible to acclimate oneself. I am thinking of trying a trek in the Alps next summer at around 8,000-9,000 feet and above to see how I do.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,881 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

No, I was the dead woman at Dead Woman Pass. And I'm not even a woman.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79,742 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:36 AM

Nice bump.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

So, how was the alpaca steak?

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,881 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Like kangaroo, apparently.
Bar Loser

MF Old