5 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

I could put this on just about any thread, because it's a varied mix of craziness, but last year's festival was so much fun I just thought I'd link to the web-site in case anyone's interested.

Howl!
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for that. I was looking for a dance event for that week and could see nothing of interest in the main press.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#3 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:00 PM

Drifting from event to event, I won't have time to post about them all. A great night at the Bowery Poetry Club, though, featuring Ed Sanders' 65th birthday party. Readings and songs by Ed and Tuli; some old Fugs favorites played by Ted Berrigan's son (Ed?); and a musical lecture on the history of punk by a young guy called Jeff Lewis, which was touched with brilliance. Birthday greetings were read out from Robert Creeley and Michael Horowitz, and there was a screening of a long-lost Yippe documentary, which Sanders had compiled, on the Chicago convention riots, featuring the pig which ran as Yippie candidate for the Presidency. All hugely entertaining.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,727 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:37 PM

Did you see the best minds of your generation drive starving hysterical naked?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

I have heard that line more often this week than in the last ten years.
Elect-a-lujah

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:24 PM

Alphabet City II was a continuation of an oral history of the Lower East Side which the tiny Metropolitan Theater is presenting. Actors meet local residents, explore their life stories, then develop a monologue based on the material. Each evening in the series features different performers and monologues. The evening I attended, two out of three monologues were, I thought, superlative. Deeply felt and impeccably performed. Most strikingly, a young actress embodied, without the slightest sense of strain or unreality, a seventy-something year old man. And her subject was in the audience. :D

There are still some evenings left. Check for tickets here.
Elect-a-lujah