1109 replies to this topic

#961 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'm happy to report that the jam jelled.

#962 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

The cukes are in a white vinegar-based solution and the beans are in white wine vinegar. I followed recipes from The Joy of Pickling (Zeidrich) for both.

Glad to see someone using that book (yes, I worked on it, and the companion Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves). I thought a lot of her recipes might be a little too PNW-centric for many people. Nice to read, but difficult to make because not many people can get the product needed. But all in all, good books. I wish they were getting more publicity on Jessica's Biscuit and such.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#963 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

The cukes are in a white vinegar-based solution and the beans are in white wine vinegar. I followed recipes from The Joy of Pickling (Zeidrich) for both.

Glad to see someone using that book (yes, I worked on it, and the companion Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves). I thought a lot of her recipes might be a little too PNW-centric for many people. Nice to read, but difficult to make because not many people can get the product needed. But all in all, good books. I wish they were getting more publicity on Jessica's Biscuit and such.

Can you expand on "PNW-centric"? Thank seems so weird for pickling or preserving. Unless she is recommending wild blackberries a lot. I looked on-line but only shows a few pages. I really am curious. Thanks.

#964 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

I'm starting my second batch of sauerkraut this afternoon, with 9 small heads of cabbage. The first, started with 8 small heads, yielded almost 10 pints of kraut. I've learned to go heavier on the salt, as it produces a slower, more sour ferment. My fridge is getting kind of packed; I anticipated we'd have the root cellar done by now and I could store it all in there. Several forces have conspired to delay completion, so I may have to start eschewing other perishables so as to keep my supply of kraut. :)

#965 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Now that I looked back at the books, I see I was exaggerating: not really all that many recipes rely totally on PNW stuff. It just seemed like it while I was working on them, a few years ago. Many of her recipes are for items that she grows in her garden or that grow there naturally, including Oregon grape and yes, lots of blackberry recipes. But I suppose those things can grow in many zones.

Bad Suzanne. :(

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

#966 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

A farmer at GAP was selling a 30 lb box of plum tomatoes for $25 and I couldn't resist it. Yesterday I spent the day canning 4 quarts of tomatoes and 7 pints of spicy tomato salsa. I'm going to do a batch of roasted tomatillo salsa and then just can the rest of the tomatoes.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#967 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

Am I remembering correctly that mongo posted a recipe for a lime (or mango) pickle?

#968 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,714 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Am I remembering correctly that mongo posted a recipe for a lime (or mango) pickle?

lime, yes. upthread somewhere. the johnsons can give you a review.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: glenmorangie signet)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#969 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

I believe it was milemarker 908. :)

#970 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

I haven't been doing my usual allotment of jam-making this year - but I did get some carmelized red onion relish and plum preserves put away, this past weekend.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#971 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

I figured since I'm stuck in the apartment due to Irene I might as well be productive and do some pickling. Bought some fabulous little cukes from Bradley Farms yesterday and put up 4 pints. Then started on the beans. But had something happen to me for the first time in all the years I've been canning - as I put one of the jars in the canning pot I heard a crack and are realized the bottom of the jar fell off. I think it was a brand new Ball jar. Very strange.Next up - plum chutney and Ferber's plum and apple with star anise and vanilla.

This has happened to me a few times and I think it was because I over-filled the jars.

Probably just "infant mortality". Some (small) percentage of jars will break from manufacturing defects and they will do it on the first dunk. If they survive that first bath they will only break if you toss them around.

I would think an overfilled jar would break during the boil as opposed to when you add the jar.

This happened to me when I first started canning years ago and I thought it was because the bottom of the pot was too hot, or there was too much agitation going on. Ever since that happened I've always placed an upside-down steamer basket in the bottom of the pot to keep the jars elevated during water bath and the final cooking stages. I haven't had a jar break in over 15 years.

Recently I started using Parfait canning jars. I think they're a little sturdier, and they look cooler on the shelf than a Ball jar. You can get them at Amazon and The Container Store, which has the best prices I could find.

#972 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

I don't do much any more in the way of sweets, since we eat so little of them, but I thought I'd add my 2 about jars. Yes, they can break if you put them directly onto the bottom of the kettle. I also found a collapsable steamer basket worked, although right side up; only problem was keeping it from tipping over as I put the jars on it.

And I've still got the Parfait jars I bought maybe 40 years ago. The rubber gaskets do need to be replaced from time to time, as they can dry out, but the jars seem almost indestructible.

#973 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

Thank you!

Re: the breaking jars, I've also heard of people putting a kitchen towel at the bottom of the pot to prevent the bottles rumbling around and breaking.

#974 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,494 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

Thank you!

Re: the breaking jars, I've also heard of people putting a kitchen towel at the bottom of the pot to prevent the bottles rumbling around and breaking.

When I first starting canning I tried the kitchen towel route, but it's not advisable as the towels prefer to float and it's difficult to get them to lay flat. I use a round cooling rack that fits into my canning pot.
Future Legacy Participant.

#975 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

For eatmywords:

General Foods Consumer Center Tested Recipe

Green Tomato Jam

3 cups prepared tomatoes (about 1 3/4 lb. green tomatoes)
1/2 cup lemon juice
7 1/2 cups (3 1/4 lb) sugar
2 pouches CERTO® Fruit Pectin

First prepare the tomatoes. Grind about 1 3/4 pounds green tomatoes. Measure 3 cups into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Add lemon juice.

Then make the jam. Thoroughly mix the sugar into tomatoes in saucepot. Place over high heat, bring to boil, stirring constantly. At once stir in fruit pectin. Then bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon. Ladle quickly into hot jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Invert jars for 5 minutes, then turn upright. After 1 hour, check seals. Makes about 8 3/4 cups or about 10 (8 fl. oz.) jars.