398 replies to this topic

#346 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

I'm a long time Kindle user. I love them all. That said, the FIre sucks for just above everything. I'm not a techie person, but to me, it is a classic case of a machine purposely made on the cheap that is designed to do a bunch of things "okay" but none of them really well. However, the user experience, especially if you have even passing experience with an IPad, leaves you feeling like it does a bunch of things poorly and nothing at even an "okay" level. Reading is not as a good as a regular kindle. Web browsing is not as fast as a 3 or 4G smart phone. Reading magazines is awkward because of the way they load and appear in the frame. One positive for the future is the linked relationship between the amazon cloud storage and teh device. And music purchased from amazon is playable on apple devices, because they don't embed it with the code that prohibits cross playing. But other than that, it just fall shorts on almost every area.

I've had a chance to play with all models by now.

Fire is, as I'd imagined, is a generic Android tablet sold at about $100 to $120 discount. So you're buying the same crap everyone's selling but at least you're getting a subsidy.

Touch, surprisingly, features a substantially worse (lower contrast and, at least it feels like, slower) display and is less convenient to hold than the previous generation.

The keyboard version remains the best product if you're looking to read a lot of text and find LCDs tire your eyes.
I never said that

#347 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'm not sure if this should go in the NYTimes thread or here, but DealsNews reports this deal:

At Barnes & Noble, purchase a 1-Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times for NOOK for $19.99 per month and get the 7.48-oz. Barnes & Noble NOOK Simple Touch WiFi eBook Reader (pictured), model no. BNRV300, for free. With free shipping, that's $75 less than our mention from three weeks ago of the reader on its own and the first such freebie offer we've seen for the Simple Touch (It's a current price low for the reader by $100.) Sales tax is added where applicable. It features a 6" 800x600 touchscreen greyscale E-Ink display, on-screen keyboard, 802.11n wireless (with free access at AT&T hotspots or in Barnes & Noble stores), 2GB internal memory, microSD card slot, eBook library viewing, NOOK Friends social networking, up to two months of reading time on a single charge, and more.

Of note, the Barnes & Noble NOOK Color WiFi eBook Reader, model no. BNRV200, costs $99 with a 1-Year Digital Subscription to the New York Times for NOOK for $19.99 per month. With free shipping, that's $80 less than last week's mention of the eBook reader on its own and the lowest total price we could find for one now by $101. It features a 7" 1024x600 LED-backlit color touchscreen LCD display, 802.11n wireless (with free access in Barnes & Noble stores), 8GB internal memory, microSD card slot, eBook lending, MP3 audio and MP4 video playback, Pandora, and more. Both deals ends March 9.

"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#348 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,540 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Continually surprised and disappointed at how many books I want aren't available as Kindle editions. Then I come across German classics of the nineteenth century in twenty volumes, free, and think I have enough to be getting on with.

#349 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Continually surprised and disappointed at how many books I want aren't available as Kindle editions.

Kim, Thus a reasonable rationale to opt for an open source ereader such as the Sony etal.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#350 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Refurbed current generation Kindle is available only today with a coupon for $49. No brainer. I just picked one up myself.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57438998-10391733/get-a-kindle-with-special-offers-for-$49-shipped/
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#351 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Or you can get no kindle for no dollars!
I never said that

#352 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Refurbed current generation Kindle is available only today with a coupon for $49. No brainer. I just picked one up myself.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57438998-10391733/get-a-kindle-with-special-offers-for-$49-shipped/

Thanks, Jason, just ordered one for my work bag
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#353 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

http://reviews.cnet....or-$49-shipped/

Thanks for posting about this! I picked one up for my mother. I got an additional $5 off, so it was only $44 (well, I did order a bunch of other stuff, so the $5 may have been a promo for something else).

#354 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,099 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

They're now offering a 40% discount on the basic model if you have an Amazon credit card (until 8/15).
I never said that

#355 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,540 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

They're now offering a 40% discount on the basic model if you have an Amazon credit card (until 8/15).

Subtitle to this thread needs to be retired.

#356 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Got my Nexus 7. I don't think Kindle has a chance unless they do some major work.
I love this thing.
LOVE.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#357 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Got my Nexus 7. I don't think Kindle has a chance unless they do some major work.
I love this thing.
LOVE.

there are four new Kindle Fire models coming out.

but I still prefer e-ink devices for reading. for tablets the upcoming hybrid category interests me the most (though the early ones all suck)
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#358 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

My Kindle Fire held up to 3 months' travel and constant use. I used it to access the internet all over the world. I downloaded books everywhere. My only complaint is that, when I had wifi on, it sucked energy like crazy. I removed a number of apps and that helped somewhat.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#359 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Are you back? :-)
I'm sure it's a good thing but the darling of the moment is this Google pad and with reason.
There's a kindle app for it, too.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#360 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,540 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

For a lot of people, this is nothing, but for me it was a big deal.  I took a long trip this week--without any books or magazines.  Okay, I did have the anniversary New Yorker.  I relied completely on my Kindle, loading it with books before leaving, and loading it with newspaper and magazine articles (via readability.com) whenever I had WiFi.

I have to say, it worked out fine, although I was persistently conscious that a device can break/break down in a way that a book can't (leaving me, for example, to read US Air's inflight magazine for four hours).