398 replies to this topic

#31 jesteinf

jesteinf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.
-Josh

#32 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(jesteinf @ Feb 10 2009, 09:00 AM) View Post
I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Yup, but you have to pay for them.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#33 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(fentona @ Feb 10 2009, 06:52 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Stone @ Feb 9 2009, 08:48 PM) View Post
As Jason points out in his article, for that kind of money, I'd expect to get a whole lot more than just a book reader. Doesn't $350 buy a much more complex and useful iPhone or BB? And I'd think that anyone buying this thing would already have a pretty quick connection to the Internets. I'm all for instant gratification, but I can usually wait until I get home to make my purchase.

I wonder how much 3G adds to the price. It does seem kind of pointless on the Kindle, if its primary (only?) function is to download books.

I suppose the other question is whether people will want another electronic media device, or use just one. One of the reasons I bought an iPhone was because I only wanted to schlep one device rather than a phone and MP3 player. Reading books on the iPhone isn't a very satisfactory experience, but I'd be willing to spend a few hundred bucks in a couple of years and upgrade to a model that lets me read books as well as listen to music, watch movies, read blogs, surf the web, etc. I'm not really interested in carrying around another piece of electronics.

I don't think the 3G transceiver itself adds much to the cost, its the overhead of Amazon paying Sprint to maintain the service, and then passing it off as part of the device and book cost.
Jason Perlow

#34 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I find it such a relief to get away from a screen and read words on a page. Much less strain, it seems.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#35 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Feb 10 2009, 10:26 AM) View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I find it such a relief to get away from a screen and read words on a page. Much less strain, it seems.

I thought so as well until I actually got to use a Kindle for a few weeks. The e-Ink technology is totally different from other types of display technology. It is actually "Ink" that is energized and gets painted onto a substrate. Kind of like an etch-a-sketch, but a computer controls it. It looks exactly like paper, you can read it in total sun glare clear as paper.
Jason Perlow

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Sounds interesting. I should take a look some time. The best attempt I've yet seen to reproduce a reading experience on-screen is the New Yorker digital archive, which allows you to read single or double pages and zoom in and out easily - and the images are excellent quality.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Feb 10 2009, 10:47 AM) View Post
Sounds interesting. I should take a look some time. The best attempt I've yet seen to reproduce a reading experience on-screen is the New Yorker digital archive, which allows you to read single or double pages and zoom in and out easily - and the images are excellent quality.

You can actually buy a kindle and test it out for 30 days before you have to pay for it. That's what I did.
Jason Perlow

#38 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

Amazon to sell ebooks for Apple devices.
Andrew Fenton

#39 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(fentona @ Mar 5 2009, 10:49 AM) View Post

When I read this my first thought was that reading a book on an itsy bitsy screen which requires nearly constant scrolling is probably not going to be much fun.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#40 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Mar 5 2009, 10:57 AM) View Post

When I read this my first thought was that reading a book on an itsy bitsy screen which requires nearly constant scrolling is probably not going to be much fun.

you have no sense of adventure

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#41 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 5 2009, 10:58 AM) View Post

I never text message on my cell phone either. OTOH I've been a Blackberry user for 10 years. I like my technology to make sense.

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#42 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Mar 5 2009, 11:26 AM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 5 2009, 10:58 AM) View Post

I never text message on my cell phone either. OTOH I've been a Blackberry user for 10 years. I like my technology to make sense.

luddite

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#43 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 5 2009, 10:35 AM) View Post
luddite

S, Why would someone who doesn't text message (de)merit that kind of descriptor?

As a former IBMer, I've been very high tech my whole life, including with my Moto Q for several years. I have never sent or received a text message.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Why would I need to explain that I was teasing a friend?

~Jack Handey

#45 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 5 2009, 11:59 AM) View Post
Why would I need to explain that I was teasing a friend?

Apple lover.