splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Mar 5 2009, 12:00 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 5 2009, 11:59 AM) View Post
Why would I need to explain that I was teasing a friend?

Apple lover.

Crackenberry

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#47 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Mar 5 2009, 08:57 AM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Mar 5 2009, 10:35 AM) View Post
luddite

S, Why would someone who doesn't text message (de)merit that kind of descriptor?

As a former IBMer, I've been very high tech my whole life, including with my Moto Q for several years. I have never sent or received a text message.

As someone who works in the tech field, there's no way you're "high tech" and have never sent or received a text.

Luddite is right!!!!!

#48 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(cstuart @ Mar 5 2009, 01:02 PM) View Post
luddite

S, Why would someone who doesn't text message (de)merit that kind of descriptor?

As a former IBMer, I've been very high tech my whole life, including with my Moto Q for several years. I have never sent or received a text message.

As someone who works in the tech field, there's no way you're "high tech" and have never sent or received a text.

Luddite is right!!!!!

I invented MRI* and not only have I never sent or received a text message, I have never owned a cell phone.

*Not quite, but I was around in the right place at the right time.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#49 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Mar 5 2009, 01:16 PM) View Post
luddite

Luddite is right!!!!!

I invented MRI* and not only have I never sent or received a text message, I have never owned a cell phone.

*Not quite, but I was around in the right place at the right time.

dude, everyone knows that al gore invented mri just before he came up with the whole internet thing. and i think it's great that you're unashamed that you can't get approved for a cell phone contract

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#50 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

luddite

Luddite is right!!!!!

As someone who also works in the tech field I've got better things to do with my time than wear out my thumbs sending one sentence text messages. The real keyboard on the Blackberry is lots faster. Given the way Blackberry sales have expanded far beyond their original corporate market I think a lot of former texters have finally figured this out.

Gosh, the fun I could have had learning this.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#51 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Mar 5 2009, 10:23 AM) View Post
luddite

Luddite is right!!!!!

As someone who also works in the tech field I've got better things to do with my time than wear out my thumbs sending one sentence text messages. The real keyboard on the Blackberry is lots faster. Given the way Blackberry sales have expanded far beyond their original corporate market I think a lot of former texters have finally figured this out.

Gosh, the fun I could have had learning this.

I was really kidding Peter about the whole Luddite thing.

But I don't get your point about Blackberrys. I have a Blackberry and text all the time. And so do a lot of people I know (actually some people prefer BB messenger, but that's only useful if both parties have a BB).

And I've never used any of those abbreviations. You pretty much text how you write so I don't get why you think you have to use some silly abbreviations.

As for your thumbs - how are your fingers doing after 6000 posts on mouthfuls?

#52 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(cstuart @ Mar 5 2009, 01:38 PM) View Post
I was really kidding Peter about the whole Luddite thing.

But I don't get your point about Blackberrys. I have a Blackberry and text all the time. And so do a lot of people I know (actually some people prefer BB messenger, but that's only useful if both parties have a BB).

And I've never used any of those abbreviations. You pretty much text how you write so I don't get why you think you have to use some silly abbreviations.

As for your thumbs - how are your fingers doing after 6000 posts on mouthfuls?

By all means keep kidding Peter. laugh.gif

The first time I saw the Blackberry keyboard back in 1999 I thought it was a joke. In time I found that it was really easy to use and I could build up a good deal of speed. The QWERTY layout and autotext really helped. I've played around with texting but I thought it was slow and tedious. Halfway through the message I'd find myself thinking "If I was using my Blackberry I'd be done already."

These things are personal preferences though. Obviously it works well for you.

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#53 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

Last night we went out with some friends and one of them was showing off her new Kindle. Since Ginny reads books, she was oohing and aahing enough that I was beginning to get the hint. Then I asked where the button was to backlight the text, since a lot of reading is done in bed and on planes and other areas where one may not wish to disturb one's beloved with an overhead light. The damn creature doesn't have one???? WTF.

This space available… contact owner.

#54 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,767 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

I believe it's a battery life issue.

I looked at my friend's Kindle. It doesn't seem to do what it does very well. The interface is somewhat archaic (o.k., 2 years behind the times is not really archaic), and the reaction time surprisingly slow (remember when you first got digital cable, and it took like and entire second to switch a channel?). And it apparently does not come in funky colors.

I'd get it if it was $100.

And she was.

#55 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,521 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Mar 6 2009, 10:12 AM) View Post

I looked at my friend's Kindle. It doesn't seem to do what it does very well. The interface is somewhat archaic (o.k., 2 years behind the times is not really archaic), and the reaction time surprisingly slow (remember when you first got digital cable, and it took like and entire second to switch a channel?). And it apparently does not come in funky colors.

I'd buy it right away if Apple sold it and it was $400.

#56 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,566 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Mar 6 2009, 10:25 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Stone @ Mar 6 2009, 10:12 AM) View Post

I'd buy it right away if Apple sold it and it was $400.

$600 and i'd snap one up

~Jack Handey

#57 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,767 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

And a two-year contract with AT&T!

And she was.

#58 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,062 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'd buy it if I knew how to read.
I never said that

#59 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Orik @ Mar 6 2009, 11:00 AM) View Post
I'd buy it if I knew how to read.

I think it comes with a 24 page full color instruction manual -- maybe that explains how to read.

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#60 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

(My posting got dislocated so I'll just delete it.)

Too much moderator intervention!

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .