123 replies to this topic

#121 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

I hesitate to pontificate* on Indian novels given the presence of experts but I thought <i>Midnight's Children</i> and <i>Shame</i> great when I read them. Everything since has been a disappointment but I don't know whether that's due to a change in my tastes or his writing. I also thought to include Vikram Seth's <i>A Suitable Boy</i>, a lovely old-fashioned novel.

I loved Satanic Verses, for what it's worth.* And I read Seth's "An Equal Music" which was beautiful.

*Edit: Oooh, Mongo agrees.

And she was.

#122 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,615 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

not to derail this thread, but here's a related exercise: which english novelists publishing post-1950 would you say could aspire to inclusion with the all-time greats. to prevent any confusion, i am hereby listing the all-time greats*, coincidentally, both chronologically and in order of unassailability:

austen
dickens
eliot
hardy
conrad
james
faulkner

*based on body of work, not just one great novel--and too bad if you only wrote one. so, no brontes, no melville, no sterne. if your favourite doesn't appear it means they're not an all-time great--don't feel bad.

re-reading the thread i see that none of you thought to mention nabokov. shame on you.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#123 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

I never much enjoyed Nabokov, which is a purely personal reaction. I think the last one I tried was Pale Fire.

#124 plattetude

plattetude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Couple others I'll toss in the ring:

Riven Rock TC Boyle (or Water Music, which is a bit loopier but similarly epic and enthralling)
The Unconsoled Kazuo Ishiguro

Christopher