4 replies to this topic

#1 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

I just discovered these in the last month, thanks to the evil corporate tyrants at Whole Foods. I've been eating them almost daily.

http://www.theproduc...lay.asp?ID=2253

Lovely color & mellow flavor.

http://www.specialty.......et&WCE=Main

$1.99 / lb in these parts. No one but Whole Foods seems to have them here in Jersey. I don't recall seeing them at all in previous years. Somebody noted a year ago on a blog that they were hard to find in NYC. I guess they are just making their way to the east coast.

I'm still waiting for the Temple Oranges to show up. These red ones do help pass the time.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#2 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

I just discovered them last year. Short season and they don't store as well as regular navals but they are fabulous. There are recipes in the PNW recipes pages. Just found a small bunch at Alberson's. Costco sells them by the bag cheaply, but they sell out fast. rolleyes.gif
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Add me to the list of converts! Just bought two 3-pound bags at Pathmark for $2.99 a bag -- that's a lot of oranges, but I don't think they'll last all that long. I see from ghostrider that I got a real bargain. But from what Rebecca says, I suppose I should find room in the fridge for them, eh?

These are a perfect size for me. And wonderfully sweet-tart. So much better than the blood oranges I've had in recent years.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

I made some really nice sorbet with them last year.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

We just finished them tonight. :( :( :( :( For once, I will say they were the best [orange] I've ever had. Not a loser in the batch, not like blood oranges sometimes.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table