11 replies to this topic

#1 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

The edition came out in September 2007 and I've only just had the opportunity to look it over. Still digesting it and so far I love the interview with Maricel Presilla and the taco truck survey in Portland.
I came across an intriguing recipe for Mixiote de Carne in an article on Puebla cuisine. Beef shortribs are marinated in a guajillo chile sauce, wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked. The intriguing part is that each wrapped rib calls for a bay leaf to be added before cooking. I'm thinking shouldn't this be an avacado leaf but there is no reference to it in the preamble to the recipe. Are avacado leaves not used in Puebla cooking?
Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll.
Tell me any little thing that I can do.
Have some fried rice, Mr. Soy Sauce.
Have a cookie, have a few!

Cooking with a Broad
The fabulous art of Bill Blair

#2 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE(shelora @ Jan 18 2008, 08:41 AM) View Post
The edition came out in September 2007 and I've only just had the opportunity to look it over. Still digesting it and so far I love the interview with Maricel Presilla and the taco truck survey in Portland.
I came across an intriguing recipe for Mixiote de Carne in an article on Puebla cuisine. Beef shortribs are marinated in a guajillo chile sauce, wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked. The intriguing part is that each wrapped rib calls for a bay leaf to be added before cooking. I'm thinking shouldn't this be an avacado leaf but there is no reference to it in the preamble to the recipe. Are avacado leaves not used in Puebla cooking?

Do you have the Quintana Puebla: La Cocina De Los Angeles book? I don't (last saw it for $225 and now I never see it). I wonder if she uses the leaves much. I always think of the leaves in Oaxacan food.

I think mixiote are very moda right now. I have a whole magazine dedicated to them and the plea to use parchment paper rather than the dried maguey leaves as they are being depleted. I took a quick look and none of them use avocado leaf, FWIW.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#3 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jan 18 2008, 04:52 PM) View Post
QUOTE(shelora @ Jan 18 2008, 08:41 AM) View Post

Do you have the Quintana Puebla: La Cocina De Los Angeles book? I don't (last saw it for $225 and now I never see it). I wonder if she uses the leaves much. I always think of the leaves in Oaxacan food.

I think mixiote are very moda right now. I have a whole magazine dedicated to them and the plea to use parchment paper rather than the dried maguey leaves as they are being depleted. I took a quick look and none of them use avocado leaf, FWIW.

Thanks for the quick reply, RG. Yeah, it's probably more a Oaxacan thing.
I don't have the Quintana book and most interesting about the moda de mixiote. What's the name of the magazine?

Cooking with a Broad

#4 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

It's this one:

I'm pretty sure I got it in Mexico.
My next project is to plant a maguey for the skins and I have some local Mexican pals who want to make pulque! Wouldn't that be a hoot?

We noticed them a lot in Guanajuato and again in a recent book I bought, it seemed like there were a lot.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#5 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Thanks. I guess I won't be running out to get one. Have you made anything from it?

And count me as a supporter of you planting some maguey and making pulque.

Cooking with a Broad

#6 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

Here's the TOC. I can scan anything you want.
I haven't made anything. I can't believe that parchment paper is all that interesting. But many use corn and banana wrappers, too.

#7 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jan 18 2008, 10:06 PM) View Post
Here's the TOC. I can scan anything you want.
I haven't made anything. I can't believe that parchment paper is all that interesting. But many use corn and banana wrappers, too.

You're so wonderful! I wouldn't mind having a look at both the borrego and the cordero and how the recipes differ. I agree about the parchment. I'd much rather use banana leaves or corn husks. I noticed there was also a recipe with hoja santa, which I haven't thought about in months.

Thanks for your kindness.

Cooking with a Broad

#8 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(shelora @ Jan 18 2008, 03:59 PM) View Post
Thanks for your kindness.

No problem. You are welcome.
I made a pdf file in case others don't want to download the whole thing.

#9 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jan 19 2008, 12:10 AM) View Post
I made a url in case others don't want to download the whole thing.

Received with thanks!! Fascinating that the recipes called for fresh chilies instead of dried. The cordero recipe asks for chilies cuaresmeņo, which I've never heard of. Anyone know what this is?

Cooking with a Broad

#10 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(shelora @ Jan 20 2008, 12:47 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jan 19 2008, 12:10 AM) View Post
I made a url in case others don't want to download the whole thing.

Received with thanks!! Fascinating that the recipes called for fresh chilies instead of dried. The cordero recipe asks for chilies cuaresmeņo, which I've never heard of. Anyone know what this is?

Very bizarre, but I was just looking at my big beautiful book Guanajuato: Sabor e historia and they claim this is the correct name for jalapeņos but because they come from Xalapa, they are now known as jalapeņos! If you were to ask me this next week, I wouldn't have known this.

#11 shelora

shelora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

Kooky.

Cooking with a Broad

#12 theabroma

theabroma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

Cuaresmenos are indeed jalapenos. They are called that because in Veracruz and surrounding climate regions the first harvest comes in around Easter (Cuaresma) time. It's kinda like Flor de Mayo and Flor de Junio in the bean crowd - that's when the plants bloom.

They are also called chile huachinango.

Regards,

Theabroma