1138 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.

One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night's American Idol, and showed a clip of some young man crooning "Left a good job in tha city..."

How brave, burbled one of the guests, for a man to sing "Proud Mary". Maybe it should have been "Proud Michael."

Er...first, it's a boat. Second, if John Fogerty rings no bells with you, have you at least heard of Elvis Presely?

Dingbat.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Oh man, a vast pit to mine. Where to begin.....

I actually had a very animated conversation last night with a contemporary about this. I now work mostly with people in their twenties, and the sheer disconnect is staggering. I've taken to just shutting up rather than bringing up mind-boggling topics such as literature and art. I've found that if one can't conduct a coherent conversation about a particular subject via text message, it's unlikely that they'll know anything at all about it. Or I'll get a "...oh yeah, we learned about that stuff in senior year...".
loser magnet

#3 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

Twit of the Day for me. and it's still early rolleyes.gif
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

Dingbattery plus a delicious irony. A couple of years ago I overheard a youth in the street alluding to "that guy" who said that in the future we'd all be famous for 15 minutes.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#5 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

Former boss reminding us that we needed to be sensitive in our concept for an Iron Chef stunt - "Cause the event is so close to Pearl Harbor Day".
The event was in June.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#6 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:36 PM

I am reminded of the two youths who were standing next to me at a Roger McGuinn concert back in the 1990s. Roger got around to playing Knockin' on Heaven's Door. The kids looked at each other in amazement, high-fived, & one exclaimed "I can't fukkin' believe this! He's doing Guns & Roses!"
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#7 fritz brenner

fritz brenner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE(Pingarina @ Feb 7 2008, 06:29 PM) View Post
Oh man, a vast pit to mine. Where to begin.....

I actually had a very animated conversation last night with a contemporary about this. I now work mostly with people in their twenties, and the sheer disconnect is staggering. I've taken to just shutting up rather than bringing up mind-boggling topics such as literature and art. I've found that if one can't conduct a coherent conversation about a particular subject via text message, it's unlikely that they'll know anything at all about it. Or I'll get a "...oh yeah, we learned about that stuff in senior year...".

i'm 26, and i am not like this at all, nor are any of my friends in their twenties. i'm sorry that you work with a lot of idiots, but i don't think it's really fair to automatically associate twenty-somethings with stupidity (although, of course, there are a lot of dingbats out there, in their twenties and otherwise).

edited to spell "stupidity" correctly. geez, maybe all 20-somethings are stupid. rolleyes.gif

#8 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

my neighbors left the basement door open last night (yes, they're in their 20s dry.gif ). it was -3 out. i expect a flood when it thaws in about an hour.

#9 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(fritz brenner @ Feb 7 2008, 06:42 PM) View Post
edited to spell "stupidity" correctly. geez, maybe all 20-somethings are stupid. rolleyes.gif
Don't waste your time in apology. By the time you're my age, you'll be placing many more decades before "somethings" than just 20. huh.gif

#10 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:52 AM

Sorry for being repetitive. Dingbat of the month was whoever decided to keep Amy Winehouse out of the US so that she could perform at the Grammys. This, to protect us from a drug abuser. I feel so protected. Earlier this a a.m. I walked up Calle Norzagaray in old San Juan next to that bastion of lawfulness, La Perla which is remarkable for the density of criminals. But I was feeling happy since my people were protecting me from Amy Winehouse,
"I mispoke."

#11 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

John Schaefer, the host of the music program Soundcheck on WNYC, has some guests on his program talking about drug/alcohol references in popular music. Schaefer just played an excerpt from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and asked if its reference to "getting high" qualifies as a drug reference.

Of course, the lyrics don't actually say that. The lyric is "I can't hide," NOT "I get high," although it was famously misheard as "I get high" by Bob Dylan, who was amused to find out when he met the Beatles that they'd never smoked pot.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#12 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Reminds me of an old one. A British TV interviewer walking around Nashville with Kris Kristofferson, sees the steps outside the songwriter's old apartment building. "So when you wrote 'Sunday Morning Coming Down', these would have been the actual steps..."

And it was not a parody.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,473 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(SethG @ Feb 11 2008, 07:39 PM) View Post
John Schaefer, the host of the music program Soundcheck on WNYC, has some guests on his program talking about drug/alcohol references in popular music. Schaefer just played an excerpt from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and asked if its reference to "getting high" qualifies as a drug reference.

Of course, the lyrics don't actually say that. The lyric is "I can't hide," NOT "I get high," although it was famously misheard as "I get high" by Bob Dylan, who was amused to find out when he met the Beatles that they'd never smoked pot.

I liked it even more in the Lil Abner strip, where he heard it as "I Want to Hold Your Ham."
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Ah yes, the sports journalist on television this morning proposing that today's Congressional proceedings involving Roger Clemens are so earth-shatteringly important that you have to reach back to McCarthy, Watergate and Iran-Contra for anything on the same level.

Stick to sportswriting, pal.
Elect-a-lujah

#15 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

Dude trips at the end of his concert, falling on his violin and destroying a 290 y.o. Stradivarius

Oops.