289 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

I have a Canon 620 but we want something smaller to take to Europe next week. Also, I love the Canon in daylight but I don't like how it performs with a flash, or in low light without the flash. I don't think it has image stabilization. And I'd like a more powerful zoom.

Any ideas? I'd like to spend in the $300 range.

http://www.nytimes.c...o...eras&st=nyt

"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

the Fujifilm FinePix F50fd looks interesting, but i haven't tried it.

i have a tiny canon sd550 and like it quite a bit. i carry it in my pocket frequently. it certainly does perform badly in low light however. the flash looks awful but you have no choice but to use it.

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

I'm considering the Panasonic DMC-FX 55 for my next camera. It is one of the few small cameras with a wide angle equivalent of 28mm. The downside is that the telephoto is shorter than that of my A610. There is another Panasonic model with a very long telephoto, but it may be a bigger camera. (I'll look for it and post a link.)

edit: The Panasonic DMZ-TZ3 is the one I had in mind. It is quite small.

#4 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for this thread -- I, too, will be interested in getting a smaller "travel" camera before my European trip next month.

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:06 PM

Also, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2 and TZ3

Amazon has it listed at well under $300.
I'm going to look at this camera again. I really need 28mm at the wide end and I like a long telephoto for fun.

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

Lippy, do the comparion on dp preview - the Fuji that Porkwah listed might be the better choice. 35 vs the 28 you mentioned.

http://www.dpreview....o...z2&show=all
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

The image quality seems to be better, on the level of pixel-peeping, but for my needs, the 28mm is more important than the very minuscule difference in quality that would be detectable in real life photography. I'm still very happy with my A610. When it comes time to switch, I won't consider anything w/o the 28mm lens. I very often need to photograph an entire New York City block in one frame for context. I need a 28mm lens to do it properly. Everyone's requirements are different.
The Fuji has only a 105mm telephoto. This is not long enough for me. Your Canon has 140mm. You said you wanted a more powerful zoom. The Fuji doesn't have it.

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thanks thanks. Not an easy choice. The Fuji is lighter and smaller, but you're right, I can't go down in zoom capacity.

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

I wish Canon would produce something like the Panasonic. I hate switching manufacturers and having to learn a whole new set of controls.

#10 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

Roy has an earlier version of this Sony Cyber-shot, and I love it. Great bang for the buck and for the size.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#11 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

One word of caution with Fuji cameras. While they often have the best image quality, most of the older models only accept the Fuji XD cards for memory (much like Sonys take Memory Sticks only). I think the F50fd is one of the newer ones that actually does SD, but double-check to be sure.

Also, in re the Panny TZ3, there may or may not be specials appearing soon on it. It all depends on how Panasonic is going to handle its retirement. In a few months, the TZ4 and TZ5 will be released. They, like the TZ3, are compact super-zooms with a 28mm equiv. lens.

But, for those who want more compactness in their wider lenses, the Panasonic FX35 is also coming. This is a small 4x zoom camera that has a 25-100mm equiv setup.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#12 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Feb 16 2008, 07:24 AM) View Post
I have a Canon 620 but we want something smaller to take to Europe next week. Also, I love the Canon in daylight but I don't like how it performs with a flash, or in low light without the flash. I don't think it has image stabilization. And I'd like a more powerful zoom.

The 620 at night is pretty amazing for me. I never use a flash! I do use a tripod, mostly. But it is a tad big for travel. I never use the zoom.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#13 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Feb 16 2008, 12:00 PM) View Post
I wish Canon would produce something like the Panasonic. I hate switching manufacturers and having to learn a whole new set of controls.

for me it's not just the controls -- it's the colors and optics and just the feel of it..
but i might need to pick up the fuji and see.

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#14 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,888 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(TheMatt @ Feb 16 2008, 12:49 PM) View Post
Also, in re the Panny TZ3, there may or may not be specials appearing soon on it. It all depends on how Panasonic is going to handle its retirement. In a few months, the TZ4 and TZ5 will be released.

The price is around $235 -250 right now, but the upcoming ones sound even better, even at $100 more.

#15 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(Cathy @ Feb 16 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post
Sony Cyber-shot, and I love it. Great bang for the buck and for the size.

I also offer a STRONG recommendation of the Sony CyberShot series with the Carl Zeiss lens.

I have had good luck buying a camera on eBay.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .