21 replies to this topic

#1 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

I don't see him on the website anymore and what's disturbing is that there is not a mention of the guy who put down the foundation for a great restaurant. Where is he?
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

My heart is broken.

Nice guy, lovely restaurant.

ETA: The executive chef, according to the web-site, is now Christopher Brown, of the family which owns the place.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Feb 27 2008, 02:18 PM) View Post
My heart is broken.

Nice guy, lovely restaurant.

ETA: The executive chef, according to the web-site, is now Christopher Brown, of the family which owns the place.

Nothing against Chris, He's a good guy and capable cook (Spent many years as the Sous) I got a recent email from Perigee with his picture in a prominent place - hence the question and subsequent research. Looks like a simpler menu with lots of a la carte offerings.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

#4 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

Closed I guess......link

Just as I cleared a weekend for a nice food trip. sad.gif

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

If you ever track down Pat Riley, let us know. Chefdb.com located him at a Toronto restaurant called The Garden@Eleven last year, but doesn't record his current whereabouts. Further research suggests that The Garden closed in '08."

ETA: For a moment I thought he had bought the Miami Heat, but the truth may be more prosaic.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#6 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Apr 21 2009, 09:46 AM) View Post
If you ever track down Pat Riley, let us know. Chefdb.com located him at a Toronto restaurant called The Garden@Eleven last year, but doesn't record his current whereabouts. Further research suggests that The Garden closed in '08."

ETA: For a moment I thought he had bought the Miami Heat, but the truth may be more prosaic.

Yes, they are one in the same. It was amazing to see him pace the line in Hugo Boss and slicked back hair.

#7 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

FYI - Pat Riley is currently the Exec Chef at FAR NIENTE - 187 Bay St
Bon Apetit

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,215 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Far Niente has been around a while, hasn't it? Good to know Pat is back in his whites.

#9 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Very interesting. Perigee closed before I could get there/started going to Soulpepper. Far Niente is an odd choice - it's always seemed to me the quintessential boring, pointless Bay Street restaurant.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#10 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Far Niente has been around a while, hasn't it? Good to know Pat is back in his whites.

Yes, it was an oasis for California seeking GTA's and yes it is.

#11 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Very interesting. Perigee closed before I could get there/started going to Soulpepper. Far Niente is an odd choice - it's always seemed to me the quintessential boring, pointless Bay Street restaurant.

He was an Amuse in the Beaches last time I spoke with him.

I'm sure he'll put his subtle stamp on the current menu and we'll see what the future holds for him.

I have great fondness and regard for my all Perigee visits.

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,215 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Me too.

#13 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Never heard anything but great things. Which is one of my complaints with the current Toronto dining scene. All the major new hotel developments have show-piece restaurants - Scarpetta in the Thompson, Momo in the Shangri-La, a Boulud venture in whatever, and Stock in Trump. Only Stock is in any way Canadian and not a provincial outpost and it looks to more of an expense account/corporate place than one with culinary ambition.* Sorry, there's Toca as well, but it's operating in a different milieu. With Pat Riley kicking around, Susur Lee languishing, David Lee under-performing, Chris Lee Mcdonald running a great but limited tapas place, and even Grant van Gameran and Guy Rawlings spinning their wheels a bit, this seemed like the perfect chance to let one of the city's great chefs attempt to create something special.

* I could be wrong. It's barely open.

ETA: there is only one Christopher Lee.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,940 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

There are TWO chefs named Christopher Lee? That doubles the potential number of Dracula jokes you can make.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Never heard anything but great things. Which is one of my complaints with the current Toronto dining scene. All the major new hotel developments have show-piece restaurants - Scarpetta in the Thompson, Momo in the Shangri-La, a Boulud venture in whatever, and Stock in Trump. Only Stock is in any way Canadian and not a provincial outpost and it looks to more of an expense account/corporate place than one with culinary ambition.* Sorry, there's Toca as well, but it's operating in a different milieu. With Pat Riley kicking around, Susur Lee languishing, David Lee under-performing, Chris Lee Mcdonald running a great but limited tapas place, and even Grant van Gameran and Guy Rawlings spinning their wheels a bit, this seemed like the perfect chance to let one of the city's great chefs attempt to create something special.

* I could be wrong. It's barely open.

ETA: there is only one Christopher Lee.

If were going down memory lane - recent meals by Keith Froggett, Anthony Walsh, Claudio Aprile, Martin Kroupie, etc have all quite good by my standards. And I'm thinking my next visit to LEE will be enjoyable as well.

Call me boring maybe but my tastes have been running more traditional, and less fad-dish.

I'd rather not pay for something I can make well on my own ......be it meatballs, pizza, etc.