#1 Allyson

Allyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hello!

I'm just popping over from the USA:PNW board to see if I can get any tips on the food scenes in Edinburgh and Glasgow. It looks like I'll be heading over there this spring to do some research in various national archives and while I'll likely be crashing in a hostel in the center of town because the dollar is so weak, I'm willing to scrimp and save a bit in the name of food. Any hidden gems of restaurants, markets, and other tidbits I should know about?

Thanks smile.gif

#2 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I haven't been to either city in a while but I had a pretty good meal at The Ubiquitous Chip when I was in Glasgow last. It's sort of Frenchified Scottish food, if you see what I mean. Indian restaurants are often pretty good (much better than in the US) though I have no specific recommendations.

I wouldn't eat there but the Cafe Royale in Edinburgh is a great pub.

In addition to the main museums, both the Burrell collection and the Transport Museum in Glasgow are well worth visiting.

The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#3 Shrike

Shrike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

It has been awhile since I went to Edinburgh but I had a great meal at Martins. He had a terrific cheese course. I would be interested to see if he was still operating at a decent level.
March 21, 2010 NYC Half Marathon
April 25, 2010 Big Sur Marathon
Montauk Century May, 16 2010
Sept. 26, 2010 Berlin Marathon

#4 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

Is it true that the men all look like Gerard Butler in Scotland?
Gone fishing for the summer.

#5 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(The Scream @ Mar 27 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post

Yep.

The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#6 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Mar 27 2008, 07:20 PM) View Post
QUOTE(The Scream @ Mar 27 2008, 02:55 PM) View Post

Yep.

I thought you were Welsh.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#7 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:53 AM

In Edinburgh, take the bus down to Leith and find a seafood restaurant. There are some good ones along the water.

Skippers Bistro - Seafood Bistro
1a Dock Pl, Leith +44 (0)131 554 1018

Goofy name, but we had an excellent meal there about 4 years ago. Tiny place, very friendly and cosy.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#8 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Champany Inn about 1/2 hour outside Edinburgh is very good. Beautiful B&B too.

The Witchery at the Castle was very poor.

Edinburgh itself is a beautiful city.
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#9 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

Any hotel/B&B recommendations for both Edinburgh and Glasgow?

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,612 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

The WSJ has a short piece on Edinburgh, and its delights.

Kayak shows seven day car rental, and air from Newark for $699. Short dated offer, though

What to do: Visit Edinburgh to explore the land of whiskey, tartan and history. Walk the Royal Mile, the main thoroughfare in the city's historic Old Town, from the Palace of Holyroodhouse—the Queen's official residence in Scotland—to Edinburgh Castle. Dozens of storefronts make it easy to shop for cashmere, Celtic jewelry and whiskey along the stroll. At Edinburgh Castle (www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk), take in sweeping views of the city, see Scotland's crown jewels and step inside St. Margaret's Chapel, the city's oldest surviving building. Explore St. Giles' Cathedral (www.stgilescathedral.org.uk)—where John Knox preached during the Scottish Reformation—and the Real Mary King's Close (www.realmarykingsclose.com)—an underground tenement neighborhood on top of which Edinburgh's City Chambers were built in the 1750s. Costumed historical figures provide tours of the Close every 20 minutes. To continue exploring underground Edinburgh, take a tour of the city's underground vaults, a network of rooms and tunnels under the city's South Bridge. Local folklore suggests Scottish body snatchers William Burke and William Hare were among those using the vaults for storage. Tours meet daily at signs posted near St. Giles' Cathedral.

Where to eat: The Baked Potato Shop (56 Cockburn St., +44 (0)131 225 7572) is a tiny, casual spot just off the Royal Mile. Its specialty is potatoes topped with just about anything you want—cheese, sour cream, beans, chili, mango, mixed fruit and an assortment of other items you may have never thought to add to a potato. It also serves vegetarian haggis. For a meatier meal, venture away from the center of town to The Sizzling Scot (103-105 Dalry Rd., +44 (0)131 337 7744, www.sizzlingscot.co.uk), where a selection of Scottish Aberdeen Angus steaks flanked by your choice of potato dish awaits you. For dessert, there's Clootie Dumpling and Custard or ice cream from northern Scotland's Orkney Islands. For a pub meal with a story, head to Greyfriars Bobby's Bar (30-34 Candlemaker Row +44 (0) 131 225 8328), named for a dog said to have guarded his master's grave for more than a decade until his own death. The pub specializes in seasonal sausages and mash and staples like fish and chips.

Where to stay: The ultimate luxury experience is at the Balmoral Hotel (1 Princes St. Tel: 888 667 9477, www.thebalmoralhotel.com). The century-old landmark boasts a 195-foot clock tower and is located just steps away from Edinburgh's Waverly Station. The hotel is located on the city's most acclaimed shopping street. Prices start at about $260 to $285 per night, for a standard, double occupancy room. For a new room in the heart of the old city, try the Fraser Suites (12-26 St. Giles Street, +44 (0) 131 221 7200, edinburgh.frasershospitality.com), located just off the Royal Mile near the St. Giles' Cathedral. The new boutique hotel has just 75 rooms, all of which include desks, rainfall showers and kitchenettes. Prices from $260 to $285, double occupancy.

Mashed potatoes

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#11 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Got one sentence into that. No, it's whisky, not whiskey.

And then I thought, this person went no further than the station hotel, and indeed that's it: The Balmoral (the station hotel, formerly called The North British Hotel). Quite imposing in an ugly sort of way.

It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#12 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Aw - this makes me all reminiscent for Scotland now.... I really liked the Underground Vault tours (much to my surprise) but it was the museums which blew me away. That, and dinner at The Kitchin.

#13 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ Mar 27 2008, 08:53 PM) View Post
In Edinburgh, take the bus down to Leith and find a seafood restaurant. There are some good ones along the water.

Skippers Bistro - Seafood Bistro
1a Dock Pl, Leith +44 (0)131 554 1018

Goofy name, but we had an excellent meal there about 4 years ago. Tiny place, very friendly and cosy.

Ha, just noticed this. My paternal grandmother's family came from Leith. Must get back there someday. I've seen a fair amount of Scotland but never made it to Leith.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#14 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Probably not a great time to visit Leith. I heard it's got trendy.

It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#15 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ Mar 13 2010, 04:37 PM) View Post
Probably not a great time to visit Leith. I heard it's got trendy.

Oh no! Is there a New Leith Cuisine?
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.