34 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Going to see Gypsy (on W. 44th St.) with my sisters in a few weeks. Must find somewhere for dinner at 6pm, 90 minute duration, near the theatre. DB Bistro Moderne? What else? Kellari Taverna?
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Apr 11 2008, 07:04 PM) View Post
Going to see Gypsy (on W. 44th St.) with my sisters in a few weeks. Must find somewhere for dinner at 6pm, 90 minute duration, near the theatre. DB Bistro Moderne? What else?

I know you've probably already ruled out esca. I *thought* they used to offer a pre-theater menu. I have no idea if that's still available.

The Modern Bar room?
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Too far away (Modern I mean). And Esca is not my sister's (at least one of them) cup of tea. Although based on some of the reports here, I'd like to try it again. But not on this occasion.

"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Chimichurri Grill, an Argentinian steakhouse on 9th Avenue, between 43rd and 44th. I read somewhere recently that the meat is flown in from Argentina. I love both the skirt steak and the hanger steak here.

#5 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Insieme?

It's only 2-3 blocks less than the Modern. But still.

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

Nope. Too far.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

Eliminate DB Bistro Moderne. I didn't know this until I ate there pre-theater recently for the first time, but they have a highly dumbed-down pre-theater menu, and won't let you order from the main menu during the pre-theater window. I was really pissed off; there was a favorite dish I was really in the mood for.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Chop Suey.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Thanks, will do. (eliminate DB, that is)

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

The Portuguese tapas place on 46th St. Except that it doesn't exist anymore.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

How about Emporia Brazil (or whatever it's called)? Or Ipanema?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,915 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

Robert Emmett (8th avenue end of the block). Not fancy, but good food from burgers to fish to steaks.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#13 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Marseille, on the corner of 44th & 9th

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Dee had lunch at Da Rosina (342 W 46) earlier this week, before a weekday matinee.

Three course meal for $20, generous pour of wine for $10.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

This is a tough admission to make, but I was actually considering trying Chop Suey after Gypsy tonight. But at least according to the Times, it closes at the ridiculous hour of 9:45. Can you believe that? You'd expect even the most touristic place to be open later than THAT.
Bar Loser

MF Old