13 replies to this topic

#1 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Is there really no thread on Le Gourmand? I looked so sorry if I missed it. Anywhoo went with some friends last night for dinner, it was sooooo good. And $75 for a 7 course menu is a very good price IMO

Last night we had nettle soup; seared foie gras with cherries and brioche (this was the only thing I thought could have been a bit better); celeriac cream soup to die for!!!; fresh spot prawns on an amazing sauce with black tea; sorbet that I can't remembere except it was very tart; mangalista porc done in a sherry/butter stew type of prep and the house salad. We had the wine pairings which I thought were all quite good but David pours quite heavily so the end is a little blurry!

We saved no room for dessert sadly.

Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#2 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

I was on a Le Gourmand run a few years back (I believe I posted about it on eG), but had a bad experience (non-food related) and haven't been back. Keep meaning too, plus someone gave me a certificate for a cooking class with Bruce that I need to use. I've always loved the food.

So, LMF, what was you impression of the remodel? Were the puppets as creepy as the recent review in the Stranger (Weekly?) made it sound?
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#3 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

I really like the remodel as it mirrors Sambar next door perfectly now. The puppets aren't my favorite- they are weird. But I think David said it will be a rotating art wall??

I would love to take a class with Bruce one day!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#4 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

There are PUPPETS? ninja.gif unsure.gif

#5 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(KRamsey @ Apr 24 2008, 02:48 PM) View Post
There are PUPPETS? ninja.gif unsure.gif

SCARY puppets- think weird Fremont clowns with strings!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#6 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Those puppets are a huge mistake! Last time I was there for a stand & mill around event so it was OK, but I can't abide the idea of stitting at a table trying to eat a lovely meal with those things hovering over me. I find the new decor in general too modern & stark, but I can mostly ignore it - the puppets no - someone please post when they're gone...

I can't recommend the cooking classes enough. Just getting to watch Bruce cook is amazing, (he has eyes in the back of his head watching the pots while he talks to you) and the recipes are big winners whenever I cook with them, plus you get to eat Bruce's food along with your class rolleyes.gif The only downside is that Bill basically won't go out for french food anywhere but LeGourmand or Rovers now because he knows what I can cook for him at home angry.gif
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#7 Not A Speck Of Cereal

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:07 AM

I'm glad to hear there was a remodel. I thought the stale walls coverings and some fixtures looked older than the restaurant, almost as if they moved in when they first opened and didn't fix the place up. Funky, but not a good funky.

Still haven't been to SamBar (though I'm betting Malarkey has).

"Hey, I'd like a nice restaurant recommendation... for me to POOP on!"

Chris
Montlake, Seattle, Earth

#8 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

I agree about the puppets. Rather bizarre. I'm a fan of the sleek modern look so the remodel very much appeals to me.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#9 Allyson

Allyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(Eden @ Apr 24 2008, 06:00 PM) View Post
I can't recommend the cooking classes enough. Just getting to watch Bruce cook is amazing, (he has eyes in the back of his head watching the pots while he talks to you) and the recipes are big winners whenever I cook with them, plus you get to eat Bruce's food along with your class rolleyes.gif The only downside is that Bill basically won't go out for french food anywhere but LeGourmand or Rovers now because he knows what I can cook for him at home angry.gif

I second the classes. Some of his recipes have been Thanksgiving staples of mine for a while now and getting a feel for his approach to cooking has helped my improv French cooking a lot.

All this reminds me I still need to check out Sambar...

#10 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(Allyson @ Apr 25 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post

I second the classes. Some of his recipes have been Thanksgiving staples of mine for a while now and getting a feel for his approach to cooking has helped my improv French cooking a lot.

does he have a mailing list for these classes?

Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#11 Allyson

Allyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Apr 25 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Allyson @ Apr 25 2008, 11:33 AM) View Post

does he have a mailing list for these classes?

Not that I know of. I seem to remember that they're on the last Sunday of every month and he has an afternoon and evening class. They're something like $60 and I've always just called. Do they even have a website?

#12 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

No website to my knowledge, and I think he does a monday evening class as well because the two on sunday were always so full...

You just call the restaurant 784-DINE to sign up.
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#13 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Wow. Nothing posted about Le Gourmand since 2008? And now they are closing. It's so sad.

We had dinner here on Saturday. I made the reservation a month ago and the only thing they had for a party of four was an 8:00. So if you're planning to go before they close, I'd make those reservations soon.

We each had the three course tasting menu and we ordered one additional dish for the four of us to share.

We started with the rabbit paté, which had come highly recommended by some friends who also dined there that evening. Alas, I didn't care for it that much. It had too large of a layer of fat on top and not enough paté. There was also a spice in it (mace?) that didn't quite go.

Next, I had blintzes filled with cheese and topped with a chive butter sauce. These were some of the best things I've eaten in a long time. The sauce was so smooth and had the perfect amount of lemon. I had a bite of the other dishes which was lovely celeriac soup and a sole and shrimp Mousseline in a chive beurre blanc sauce.

For the main I had a pork tenderloin stuffed with prunes and served with a prune hazelnut sauce. It was quite good. Next was the house salad which is exactly how every salad should be; perfectly dressed so that you can taste every different type of green in it.

I didn't think I had room for anything else but, after the nice digestive of the salad, I found I had room for some cheese! It was a nice plate of four different kinds. They were good but served a tad cold.

I'm really going to miss this place.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#14 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

We went back again last night and it was a spectacular meal. We ordered the 7 course chefs menu and it came with all the fabulous things you'd expect from Bruce. The highlight was yellowfoot mushrooms in that decadent cream sauce that he does so well - but the real treat was the seared foie on top!

Since they recently extended there closing date until the end of June, I was toying with the idea of going back one more time. Last nights meal was so perfect that I decided to let that be my final memory of Le Gourmand.