20 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

Jean Stephens has a link on her Herald-News blog to this interesting recipe...

spinach, almonds, dates, what more do you need?

Quick cooking

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:43 AM

North-African Style Pizza

• 1 can (13.8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated classic pizza crust
  • 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 1/3 cup Fisher® Chef's Naturals® Slivered Blanched Almonds
  • 2 tablespoons CRISCO® 100% Extra Virgin or Pure Olive Oil
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken breast (6 oz)
  • 1/4 cup SMUCKER'S® Sweet Orange Marmalade
  • 3 tablespoon chopped pitted dates (6 dates)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel or 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
  • 1/2 teasppoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 crumbled chevre (goat cheese)

Berber Sandra Lee?
Gone fishing for the summer.

#3 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:45 AM

Impressive restraint, Scream. laugh.gif
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,743 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:05 AM

what if the pizza wore a skirt and panty hose?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Apr 26 2008, 12:39 AM) View Post
spinach, almonds, dates, what more do you need?

The kitchen sink? sad.gif

#6 Baroness Tapuzina

Baroness Tapuzina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

I am shocked and appalled. blink.gif
--------------------
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." ~James Beard

My blog: Baroness Tapuzina

#7 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

I don't take issue with substitutions and adaptations. But this recipe is a train wreck with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. The chicken, cheese, dates, marmalade, spices... *barf*

There are so many tasty Algerian pizzas or topped flat breads that are pretty easy and accessible. The ingredients can be bought pretty much anywhere they sell Italian or Mediterranean ingredients.

They make Berber topped breads, Arab influence lahmajeen (meat and dough), Italian influenced pizzas in the east, Spanish influenced cocas and fritas in the west, French influenced pizzaladieres in the central coast, Turkish influenced ones too, and so on.

One of my favorites is a thin semolina crust topped with sweet/spicy tomato jam and merguez.

#8 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Oh wow, it is a train wreck! Smucker's sweet orange marmalade--Ugh.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#9 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

It's wrong on every level...
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#10 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:50 AM

We made some over the weekend. We don't have a green egg or a wood burning oven. We used our grill turned on to full blast. Rolled out the dough very thinly, placed it on parchment paper (brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with cornmeal) on an industrial baking sheet. The sheet pan on the grill, cover closed, took about 5-7 minutes too cook.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE(The Scream @ Oct 16 2008, 08:50 PM) View Post
We made some over the weekend. We don't have a green egg or a wood burning oven. We used our grill turned on to full blast. Rolled out the dough very thinly, placed it on parchment paper (brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with cornmeal) on an industrial baking sheet. The sheet pan on the grill, cover closed, took about 5-7 minutes too cook.

so, didja like it? How did it come out?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:12 AM

We made them for a party, the kids and adults loved them. The crust was really good, thin and crispy, held the ingredients well. The sides were brushed liberally with olive oil. We let the dough rise twice.

#13 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:45 AM

Algerian pizza this evening, or at least a portion of a large pizza was Algerianized.

Crust was made with half semolina flour and half wheat (Indian brand of whole wheat, sub regular wheat or white flour)

EVOO spread allover dough, thin smear of homemade tomato jam (sub good tomato paste), goat cheese and slices of merguez. Good eating.

#14 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE(The Scream @ Apr 16 2009, 11:45 PM) View Post
Algerian pizza this evening, or at least a portion of a large pizza was Algerianized.

Crust was made with half semolina flour and half wheat (Indian brand of whole wheat, sub regular wheat or white flour)

EVOO spread allover dough, thin smear of homemade tomato jam (sub good tomato paste), goat cheese and slices of merguez. Good eating
Simple, restrained and delicious.

Why is it that people always put too many ingredients and seasonings on foods outside their culture, forgetting that less is very often the essence of a dish regardless of its origin.

#15 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread, voyager.

I have a small amount of bread dough remaining, and this would be a perfect way to use some sheep milk cheese, and sausage.

...Jonathan Waxman