20 replies to this topic

#16 Rex1965

Rex1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

It's my understanding that Albanian pizza is quite tasty as well. Has anyone ever tried it?
"We are gawna make the most amazing angel food harvest cake, for Kwanzaa" - Sandra Lee

#17 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(Rex1965 @ Jul 26 2009, 07:59 PM) View Post
It's my understanding that Albanian pizza is quite tasty as well. Has anyone ever tried it?

I've never tried Albanian pizza. Although, there could be some Ottoman connection between Albanian and some Algerian "pizzas".
Gone fishing for the summer.

#18 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(The Scream @ Jul 28 2009, 03:19 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Rex1965 @ Jul 26 2009, 07:59 PM) View Post

I've never tried Albanian pizza. Although, there could be some Ottoman connection between Albanian and some Algerian "pizzas".

In NYC Albanian Pizza = Regular Pizza. A huge % of pizzerias (especially in Manhattan and probably the Bronx) are run by (if not neccesarily owned by) Albanian immigrants. Basically lots of Albanians speak Italian ( a way out during the cold war was via the east coast of Italy) so when they came to NYC they took jobs in Italian speaking places. Once they learned the biz they went out on their own.

That's the Albanian Pizza I know. Google has no hits for something specifically Albanian.

ETA: Here is a NYT article on the phenomenon.
Why not mayo?

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,106 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Jul 28 2009, 11:05 AM) View Post

Interesting stuff. I didn't know about any of that.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#20 The Scream

The Scream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I assumed Rex was asking about pizza like baked goods made in Albania, rather than Italian pizza made by Albanians.

Still, interesting article. Did not know that.
Gone fishing for the summer.

#21 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(The Scream @ Jul 28 2009, 12:24 PM) View Post
I assumed Rex was asking about pizza like baked goods made in Albania, rather than Italian pizza made by Albanians.

Still, interesting article. Did not know that.

my point was there isn't really any such thing as Albanian pizza (unless he's thinking of a Borek?) and that most "Albanian Pizza" is an analogue of regular pizza.
Why not mayo?