21 replies to this topic

#16 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I realize that I may be the only poster on this thread, but I've come to terms with that. Somewhere, sometime, maybe a MF member or reader will be stuck in Atlanta and wonder- where's a good mouthful? I'm here for you.

<b>Best cuban sandwich (my #1 craving while in CO)</b>

1) Havana Sandwich Shop. 2905 Buford Hwy. Just south of N. Druid Hills Rd, just west of I-85. The sandwich is the thing. Skip the beans, rice, etc.- get the sammie, shake on some mojo and enjoy. Thin sliced roasted pork and ham, melted cheese, and bread that's tough enough to hold the ingredients together, but falls apart when you bite it- it's magic bread.

2) Kool Korner Grocery. (14th and Atlantic, west of the Connector) You look at the place from the outside, and think- no way am I getting food from that place. It has the appearance of a run down bodega. But yet, inside is a man who makes the best cubanos I've ever had. It's to-go only, because it actually is a run down bodega, after all. In college, I lived 2 blocks from this place, and I thought all sandwiches were this good. Then I was cast out into the cold hard world.

<b>Best "meat and 3"</b> (or 2, depending on the place)
This is what people want to experience when they come "south", but the "meat and 3" concept is a hotly debated one in these here parts. You'd think it was self explanatory, but it isn't. My definition of a "meat and 3" is that there is a list of "meats" and a list of "sides", of which you mix and match. Any meat and 3 worth it's salt must- MUST! have good fried chicken- no flabby skin, no dry meat, and no overwhelming grease- you want a crisp skin almost like a potato chip. The sides are usually mac-n-cheese, collards, turnip greens, fried okra, mashed potatoes, etc.

1) My sentimental pick- The Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge. Classic southern food, who's waitstaff can best be described as "gays and grays". Where else will you find so much haircolor on one place? You think I'm making fun, but you haven't been there. A perfectly lovely place, and the juxtaposition of the servers is part of the charm. Also, one of the few meat n 3s with a full bar. My Dad and I used to go here every Sunday- arrival timed to just before the church crowd. He always got the wedge of lettuce with blue cheese- so when I see it at the high end steak houses for $8+, I laugh.

2) Busy Bee Cafe. <a href="http://www.thebusybe....com/about.htm" target="_blank">here's the website</a> Down by Clark/Morehouse colleges, has on the menu some things that most don't carry anymore- actual chittlins (fried pig intestines), oxtails, beef neck bones (bone sucking good!), etc. This is the real thing.

**more categories later**

Busy Bee received a shout out from SF food critic Michael Bauer recently...

Then it was on to Atlanta and the Busy Bee Cafe, where the chicken ($12.99 for two pieces and two sides) is marinated for 12 hours, then coated with a seasoned batter and fried in peanut oil, which gives it a clean flavor. I also had the fried okra, which is fine, but with a heavier batter than what was on the chicken.

Kansas-Georgia-Arkansas

Busy Bee Cafe's own site

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#17 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can you suggest a good spot in Atlanta for a work dinner? Something fun but not cheesy would be great.

#18 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Imperial Fez (2285 Peachtree Road N.E.) is a lot of fun with low tables and pillow seating and family-style prix fixe Moroccan dinners, but might be a bit cheesy with its belly dancers. (I have a soft spot for the owners; Rafih Benjelloun was really nice to me when I was in culinary school, volunteered to work some event, and was assigned to assist him.)

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#19 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Had a good, fun meal at South City Kitchen a year ago. If it was just two and you could make Holeman and Finch at a reasonable hour...

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#20 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Had a good, fun meal at South City Kitchen a year ago. If it was just two and you could make Holeman and Finch at a reasonable hour...

Currently considering JCT Kitchen?

Also on the list: Woodfire Grill, Empire State South, Eugene, and Miller Union

My assistant picked JCT Kitchen based on talking with one of the assistant's in Atlanta, but I do not trust that system at all. I gave her the bottom four, which she thought weren't 'fun' enough and pricey. I'll admit that when I looked at the menus, I was a little surprised to see how expensive they were. I pictured Atlanta being cheaper than NY, I guess.

My boss suggested something fun but not too expensive. We recently had a meal together at Bar Modern, which she thought was perfect. She said 'something like Bar Modern.'

Help?

#21 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Currently considering JCT Kitchen?

Also on the list: Woodfire Grill, Empire State South, Eugene, and Miller Union

My assistant picked JCT Kitchen based on talking with one of the assistant's in Atlanta, but I do not trust that system at all. I gave her the bottom four, which she thought weren't 'fun' enough and pricey. I'll admit that when I looked at the menus, I was a little surprised to see how expensive they were. I pictured Atlanta being cheaper than NY, I guess.

My boss suggested something fun but not too expensive. We recently had a meal together at Bar Modern, which she thought was perfect. She said 'something like Bar Modern.'

Help?

I'd eat at H&F proper then.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#22 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Eater offers its awards of what's hot, best chef, most mourned restaurant, etc in Atlanta...

Restaurant of the Year
Nominees: Cakes & Ale, Cardamom Hill, Octopus Bar, the Optimist, Table & Main
Finalists: Octopus Bar, the Optimist, Table & Main
Winner: Octopus Bar

Chef of the Year:
Nominees: Drew Belline, Shane Devereux, Adam Evans, Ryan Smith, Tyler Williams
Finalists: Drew Belline, Shane Devereux, Tyler Williams
Winner: Tyler Williams (Abattoir)

So Hot Right Now
Nominees: Bantam & Biddy, Octopus Bar, The Optimist, Proof & Provision, The Spence
Finalists: Octopus Bar, the Optimist, the Spence
Winner: The Optimist

Bartender of the Year
Nominees: Greg Best, Paul Calvert, Navarro Carr, Miles Macquarrie, Nate Shuman
Finalists: Greg Best, Miles Macquarrie, Nate Shuman
Winner: Greg Best

Stone Cold Stunner
Nominees: Abattoir, Kevin Rathbun Steak, Miller Union, The Optimist, The Spence
Finalists: Abattoir, The Optimist, Miller Union/the Spence (tie)
Winner: The Optimist

Most Tragic Closing
Nominees: MF Sushi, Sugar-Coated Radical, Super Pan, Waffold
Finalists: Sugar-Coated Radical, Super Pan
Winner: Super Pan

Atlanta

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman