1 reply to this topic

#1 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,492 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

Recently opened, Basta is a small plates place steps away from the woefully unappetizing food market (Souk Ha'Carmel) in Tel-Aviv. The food menu reads like poetry and the wine list is fine. All the fish are wild and everything else is from around the corner.

"...Vitali just came back from Odessa and brought back some caviar and live crabs..."

Ossetra caviar with bread and butter

"...A very special Palamida (bonito)..."

Marinated red king fish, as buttery as the best Toro and as tasty as great Lakerda

"...Red snapper babies..."

Two tiny red snappers, lightly battered and pan fried

Calamari a la plancha

Brains on toast

Sweetbreads with wild mushrooms

White grouper with veggies

Okra, which I didn't like

And I don't remember what else.

The owner is passionate about food and wine (we had a 2000 Volnay 1er cru, I forget the producer, but one of the good guys, from the very good list), almost a deadringer for Au Pied de Cochon's Martin Picard but easier to converse with if your Hebrew is better than your French.

This was the best meal I've had in Israel since the heady days of 2-3 star French chefs cooking here during the .com bubble, and one that would very easily hold its own elsewhere.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#2 Archichef

Archichef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Orik @ May 29 2008, 05:28 PM) View Post
Recently opened, Basta is a small plates place steps away from the woefully unappetizing food market (Souk Ha'Carmel) in Tel-Aviv. The food menu reads like poetry and the wine list is fine. All the fish are wild and everything else is from around the corner.

"...Vitali just came back from Odessa and brought back some caviar and live crabs..."

Ossetra caviar with bread and butter

"...A very special Palamida (bonito)..."

Marinated red king fish, as buttery as the best Toro and as tasty as great Lakerda

"...Red snapper babies..."

Two tiny red snappers, lightly battered and pan fried

Calamari a la plancha

Brains on toast

Sweetbreads with wild mushrooms

White grouper with veggies

Okra, which I didn't like

And I don't remember what else.

The owner is passionate about food and wine (we had a 2000 Volnay 1er cru, I forget the producer, but one of the good guys, from the very good list), almost a deadringer for Au Pied de Cochon's Martin Picard but easier to converse with if your Hebrew is better than your French.

This was the best meal I've had in Israel since the heady days of 2-3 star French chefs cooking here during the .com bubble, and one that would very easily hold its own elsewhere.

I second your thoughts, and they are very friendly to the non hebrew speaking crowd, though the menu isn't in english, the staff knows how to explain everything.
+
Not only was Basta very good, but they didn't try to make a martini, they only have wines- which I appreciate because in israel a dry martini has 1part well vodka, 1 part well gin and 7 splashes of mystery "martini mix"