Aaron T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Aug 16 2007, 05:08 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Apr 17 2007, 11:04 AM) View Post
Eater is still all gossipy about Liebrandt and Montrachet.

Like Clockwork...

More than a year later, the official announcement that Corton will soon be opening with Liebrandt at the helm in the former Montrachet space. smile.gif

NY Times story here

Once an opening date is set I'll buy a plane ticket. cool.gif
"There just aren't many new "uptight" reservation places opening, especially in the neighborhoods where older, more sophisticated diners are trolling for youngish women." - Stone

My blog: Savory Hunter @ www.savoryhunter.com

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:16 AM

Exciting!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

If the amuse Paul brought to the office yesterday - crisp little gougères filled with a silky custard of Laguiole - is any indication, the food is going to be very good indeed.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#4 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(Aaron T @ Jun 4 2008, 01:44 AM) View Post

The article said that Corton "is set to open in about two months." Now, I would trust Nieporent on such matters more than most people, as he's proven he can get things done. But I walk by that site regularly, and I never see so much as a peep of activity. Given what is apparently a significant renovation, it's hard to imagine how it could open quite that soon.

The timing, however, would be perfect. Two months from now is the beginning of August, generally a slow period for high-end dining. That would give Liebrandt at least a solid month to work out the kinks before review season in the fall.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,605 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I was told July by someone who would know. But I don't think so.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

"Late summer" is the goal.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#7 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(Cathy @ Jun 4 2008, 10:26 AM) View Post
"Late summer" is the goal.

Does that mean Sept. 20th?

#8 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ Jun 4 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

The article said that Corton "is set to open in about two months." Now, I would trust Nieporent on such matters more than most people, as he's proven he can get things done. But I walk by that site regularly, and I never see so much as a peep of activity. Given what is apparently a significant renovation, it's hard to imagine how it could open quite that soon.

The timing, however, would be perfect. Two months from now is the beginning of August, generally a slow period for high-end dining. That would give Liebrandt at least a solid month to work out the kinks before review season in the fall.

ALWAYS add a minimum of two-three months (the further out the more you add) to any official opening date for a NY restaurant that is more than a couple weeks out. ALWAYS.

no fricking way this opens before September-October.

you will never go wrong in doing so.

eta...historical examples will bear me out on this.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Nathan @ Jun 4 2008, 11:43 AM) View Post
QUOTE(oakapple @ Jun 4 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

ALWAYS add a minimum of two-three months (the further out the more you add) to any official opening date for a NY restaurant that is more than a couple weeks out. ALWAYS.

no fricking way this opens before September-October.

you will never go wrong in doing so.

eta...historical examples will bear me out on this.

I'm thinking Christmas season with an opening of November 28th, this way most people are still full from Thanksgiving dinner and won't want much food.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,605 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

Might I suggest to the Administrative team that subtitles like "Paul Liebrandt's Lastest" have proven defective in the past because they a built-in sell-by date? (Like, what if this place is wildly successful and next year he and Drew Nieporent open a second restaurant?)

(I once spent a good part of an afternoon going back and correcting ones that were no longer apt, such as one describing Ssam Bar as "David Chang's newest".) (The absurdly anal shouldn't be allowed to be Administrators.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 4 2008, 12:28 PM) View Post
Might I suggest to the Administrative team that subtitles like "Paul Liebrandt's Lastest" have proven defective in the past because they a built-in sell-by date? (Like, what if this place is wildly successful and next year he and Drew Nieporent open a second restaurant?)

The "latest" label was suggested by the person who recommended the thread split. Other ideas?

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,605 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

"Paul Liebrandt In Former Montrachet Space"

"Paul Liebrandt Backed By Drew Nieporant"

"Paul Liebrandt Opens Restaurant In Prospect Heights"
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 4 2008, 12:37 PM) View Post
"Paul Liebrandt In Former Montrachet Space"

I vote for this one.

-- Francis Mallman

#14 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Never did believe those denials.

Good news.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#15 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,786 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 4 2008, 12:37 PM) View Post
"Paul Liebrandt Opens Restaurant In Prospect Heights"

That reminds me. It's now safe to change the "Franny's" title back to "Park Slope" so people can find the place.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52