#31 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(mitchells @ Jun 5 2008, 09:18 AM) View Post
No chance of any of this happening. Corton is owned and managed by a professional restaurant organization. And when something doesn't work they are smart enough to change it.

I agree that Nieporent is very savvy and is unlikely to sign up for such stupidity. But it's worth noting that the Gilt team also changed many of the things Bruni initially complained of. With the review season these days coming so quickly, it just wasn't soon enough.

QUOTE(mitchells @ Jun 5 2008, 09:23 AM) View Post
How long was Montrachet open for?

Different than doing stupid things from the start.

Montrachet lasted for 20 years, which these days is a pretty impressive run. I think a big part of the problem was that the executive chef position at Montrachet was often a stepping stone to bigger & better things. An astonishing number of people cycled through that kitchen—some of the industry's best known names. It says a lot about Nieporent's management skill that he kept it going as long as he did. But the fact is, when you have to keep finding another three-star chef every few years, it's going to take a toll.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#32 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 5 2008, 09:50 AM) View Post
My impression is that it would be a mistake to look at Corton as any kind of real continuation of Montrachet.

It's best to think of it as a brand new restaurant. By changing the name, Nieporent obviously thought so too. But some comparisons are unavoidable. FloFab's article yesterday was as much about Montrachet as it was about Corton. Whether one likes it or not, I think those comparisons are going to continue for a while.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#33 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

As will the comparisons with Gilt.

The wine prices at Gilt, which Bruni discussed in an article preceding the review, were indeed silly. I remember they were offering a champagne by the glass at almost the same cost as the bottle I had at home. And I am sure other mistakes were made. But the sheer ambition and quality of the cooking still makes the ranking unforgiveable.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#34 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(mitchells @ Jun 5 2008, 09:23 AM) View Post
How long was Montrachet open for?

Twenty-one years.
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#35 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

That's very impressive.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

Let's also give them credit for staying in business 21 years after revolutionizing the Tribeca dining scene.

REALLY impressive.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

oh, i'm sure they will steer clear of silly stunts a la screaming eagle and it will be a fabulous restaurant that we all have been waiting for - a great grown-up place with thrilling food. i know i've been waiting for a place like this to open for years.

it's a great team and i'm sure Paul has learned a lot since Atlas. i can't wait!

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#38 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

It really is exciting, and I'm looking forward to it very much.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#39 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

Is it on Open Table yet? laugh.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 5 2008, 03:01 PM) View Post
after revolutionizing the Tribeca dining scene.

Indeed, since most agree that, even though the NYT four-stars are now clustered Uptown, fine dining now tilts Downtown, you could say that Montrachet revolutionized the whole NYC dining scene.

It really was an important place.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Let's not give short shrift to Chanterelle.

#42 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

The problem with these threads opened months before a restaurant opens is that there isn't very much to say about the restaurant.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#43 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jun 5 2008, 12:34 PM) View Post
The problem with these threads opened months before a restaurant opens is that there isn't very much to say about the restaurant.

right. in 4 or 5 months we'll get the F&F reports. maybe a few details before that.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#44 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,670 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

I'm going to temporarily lock this thread and move all the Tribeca related posts to the thread that Evelyn kindly opened. Please give me a minute.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#45 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,670 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jun 5 2008, 01:14 PM) View Post
I'm going to temporarily lock this thread and move all the Tribeca related posts to the thread that Evelyn kindly opened. Please give me a minute.

Done.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52