190 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

we need to get the rain gutters on our roof cleaned. the first dude we spoke to quoted an hourly rate, and said depending on the size of the house it would take 3-4 hours. we've never had gutters cleaned before--does this sound like a reasonable estimate of time? for some reason i'd thought this was going to be a much simpler task.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

It depends on how high the gutters are, how big the house is and how he intends to access them, that might include travelling time too, but does seem a little long to me.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#3 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,808 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Post a picture of the house.

And she was.

#4 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Stone @ Jun 9 2008, 05:09 PM) View Post
Post a picture of the house.

Then we can stalk him. wink.gif
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

Don't you have a ladder?

#6 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 9 2008, 11:05 AM) View Post
we need to get the rain gutters on our roof cleaned. the first dude we spoke to quoted an hourly rate, and said depending on the size of the house it would take 3-4 hours. we've never had gutters cleaned before--does this sound like a reasonable estimate of time? for some reason i'd thought this was going to be a much simpler task.

Sounds reasonable. Normally it involves the worker getting up on the roof, scooping up the clumps of leaves and tossing them into the lawn for you and Mrs. Jones to mutter about while you each await the other to rake. They may also drag a hose up there to flush the gutters and confirm things are flowing.

As SRD notes, the time spent mostly depends on the configuration of your roof. Setting up and taking down ladders takes a bit of time.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,012 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

We have about 200 feet of gutters on our 3 story house, plus another 60 or so on the one story garage. Gutters on all four sides of the first floor, and on two sides of the house's second floor

It takes the 2 guys about 90 minutes, and costs us about $110 or so. This is a highly competitive business price wise, so ask around.

ETA: The guys have several pressurized hoses to blast leaves, etc out of the gutters, clean the downspouts, etc.

Edited by Rail Paul, 09 June 2008 - 04:22 PM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#8 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Don't you have a ladder?

i was gonna say! in fact i was plannign to do this thing last weekend if not for the horrible weather.

actually it might deserve a thread of its own - what jobs you're ready to pay for instead of DIY: it's like this ad: life is too short to spend it on cleaning the house (or cooking or whatever - choose your chore)
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#9 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

Cleaning the gutters on our house in Georgia fell to me, as I had the skinniest and longest arms (to reach down the rainspouts). Granted I was a pre-adolescent, but it would take the better part of a Saturday, mostly because the content of the gutters was millions of long pine needles and other fuzzy things that fell from trees. I had a garden hose, but could only use it once the majority of the needles were dislodged.

Three-four hours sounds like a cakewalk. And yes, price around for competitive bids.
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#10 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

we have no ladder, and no plans to get one, as it will only hasten my demise.

paul, two guys for 90 minutes for a total of $110? that's less than $40/hr. this guy is quoting $50/hr.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#11 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

gutter cleaning in progress right now. will probably end up at about $100. it does look like very simple work--maybe i will go up on the roof next year.

~homer simpson

#12 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,533 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 9 2008, 12:44 PM) View Post
maybe i will go up on the roof next year.

PEEPING MONGO ALERT!

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#13 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 9 2008, 12:44 PM) View Post
gutter cleaning in progress right now. will probably end up at about $100. it does look like very simple work--maybe i will go up on the roof next year.

Your skinny arms will be a boon, Mongo.
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#14 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jun 9 2008, 12:20 PM) View Post
We have about 200 feet of gutters on our 3 story house, plus another 60 or so on the one story garage. Gutters on all four sides of the first floor, and on two sides of the house's second floor

It takes the 2 guys about 90 minutes, and costs us about $110 or so. This is a highly competitive business price wise, so ask around.

ETA: The guys have several pressurized hoses to blast leaves, etc out of the gutters, clean the downspouts, etc.

That almost exactly mirrors my experience.

Of course then they start talking about how the pitch of the gutters is off & you can't really fix that, you have to buy new ones to the tune of $1800 or thereabouts....

The only good gutter guy I've had in 17 years got out of that phase of the biz a decade ago because his roofing biz really took off. (He did a superb job on the new half-roof when I needed it too.) For the last 10 years it's been hit or miss, with varying levels of competence & integrity on their part & satisfaction on mine.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#15 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,597 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

one man, 90 minutes. cleared the gutters, hosed everything to make sure downspouts were clear, cleared and carried away all the muck. did not attempt to up-sell. total: $100. i'm thinking i won't buy a ladder after all.

~homer simpson