#16 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 9 2008, 10:02 PM) View Post
one man, 90 minutes. cleared the gutters, hosed everything to make sure downspouts were clear, cleared and carried away all the muck. did not attempt to up-sell. total: $100. i'm thinking i won't buy a ladder after all.

At $50 the hour you were ripped off.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#17 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 9 2008, 04:02 PM) View Post
one man, 90 minutes. cleared the gutters, hosed everything to make sure downspouts were clear, cleared and carried away all the muck. did not attempt to up-sell. total: $100.

M, You got a great deal...plus, you didn't risk your falling off of a ladder, etc.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#18 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Jun 9 2008, 02:23 PM) View Post
QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 9 2008, 04:02 PM) View Post
one man, 90 minutes. cleared the gutters, hosed everything to make sure downspouts were clear, cleared and carried away all the muck. did not attempt to up-sell. total: $100.

M, You got a great deal...plus, you didn't risk your falling off of a ladder, etc.

Seems like a fair price to me too. IIRC, we usually pay in that neighborhood. We have a 2-story house and neither of us is good with heights so I'm always more than willing to pay it.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#19 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

He'd been quoted $50 the hour, they took one and a half hours, $100 seems like a 30% mark up to me, but then you lot are used to over tipping and the credit crunch hasn't really hit you yet. rolleyes.gif
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

#20 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:44 AM

i can't believe it's not gutter!

man, i need a headache

#21 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

Aren't ladders a necessary part of home-owning? Or, at least for the not-former-NBA-players amongst us?
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#22 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(SRD @ Jun 9 2008, 02:53 PM) View Post
He'd been quoted $50 the hour, they took one and a half hours, $100 seems like a 30% mark up to me, but then you lot are used to over tipping and the credit crunch hasn't really hit you yet. rolleyes.gif

I didn't notice what he'd been quoted. I just think it's a pretty standard price for gutter cleaning in my area.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#23 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

two quick poems about ladders

(1)

ladders
or as they called them
in kenya
: roofgetters

(2)

itinera]nt
salesman
in
teotitlan del
valle
mx

offers thirsty tourist
a ladder
from the back
of his truck

man, i need a headache

#24 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,822 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jun 9 2008, 07:54 PM) View Post

I didn't notice what he'd been quoted. I just think it's a pretty standard price for gutter cleaning in my area.

i've yet to come across any home improvement/maintenance contractor type people in the u.s who works on a half-hour rate. $50 an hour means anything from 60 to 120 minutes costs $100.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current recipe: indian home cooking 7: chapatis and parathas

current restaurant review: back to bangkok thai deli

current whisky review: springbank 12 cask strength, batch 7

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#25 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 10 2008, 02:21 AM) View Post
QUOTE(SeaGal @ Jun 9 2008, 07:54 PM) View Post

i've yet to come across any home improvement/maintenance contractor type people in the u.s who works on a half-hour rate. $50 an hour means anything from 60 to 120 minutes costs $100.

Amazing how many 65 minute jobs there are isn't it?

#26 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

What started as a project to get rid of an intensely ugly ceiling fan and figure out why the wall switches in the living room didn't work turned into an all-weekend project to re-wire everything in the room and the lights on the porch.

A few photos of the opportunities for improvement:

(Note that four of the seven wires were just coiled up in the junction box when I pulled the fan down.)

(Um...neither of these switches worked. Wiring totally fucked up.)

(Typical. Yikes.)

I'm thinking I'll have a lot of wiring update projects in my future.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#27 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,822 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:03 AM

once you're done, can you come fix some of our switches?

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current recipe: indian home cooking 7: chapatis and parathas

current restaurant review: back to bangkok thai deli

current whisky review: springbank 12 cask strength, batch 7

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#28 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(SLBunge @ Jun 16 2008, 03:41 AM) View Post
What started as a project to get rid of an intensely ugly ceiling fan and figure out why the wall switches in the living room didn't work turned into an all-weekend project to re-wire everything in the room and the lights on the porch.

A few photos of the opportunities for improvement:

(Note that four of the seven wires were just coiled up in the junction box when I pulled the fan down.)

(Um...neither of these switches worked. Wiring totally fucked up.)

(Typical. Yikes.)

I'm thinking I'll have a lot of wiring update projects in my future.
sad.gif Looks like the whole place could do with a rewire.

#29 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 15 2008, 10:03 PM) View Post
once you're done, can you come fix some of our switches?

You must provide beer. And a few beers in, I probably shouldn't be be trusted.

I do promise I'm better electrical wiring than I am at croquet.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#30 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

The wires appear to be wrapped in cloth insulation, which suggests they're very old. Maybe 1940s or early 1950s old. By the 1950s a lot of wire was wrapped in plastic. I'd suggest ripping them out and replacing them with heavier gauge wire.

If you'd rather delay that project, you may want to carve away several outlets, and put them on their own, new circuits. The practical result is far less drain (and risk) placed on the old wires in the downsized circuits. Some old circuits are rated for as few as 10 amps, which is pretty low by today's standards.

The preferred installation for ceiling fans is to put a 2x4 between two studs (ceiling beams, not hunky guys for others who may be reading) and support the fan from the beam, rather than using the iron threaded nipple as the main support. The 2x4 also gives you a place to put a junction box for your wires, too.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman