57 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

Summer with a frenzy quasi-maniacl had battened on the town. It is said that the hottest place in the world is a port on the Persian Gulf. But it is wrong to believe everything we hear. When New York decides to be hot, the temperature of the Persian port must be agreeable by comparison.

Edgar Saltus, 1905.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

Even Vermont is sweltering it's well over 90. But at least we're surrounded by dirt, grass, and trees, rather than asphalt, glass, and concrete. Y'all have my sympathy.

#3 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

What are the weather experts' predictions for the rest of this month, and July and August?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

This website for the Atlantic corridor seems about right so far:

April and May will be slightly warmer than normal, with above-normal rainfall north of the District of Columbia and below-normal rainfall to its south.

Summer will be rainier and slightly warmer than normal, on average. The hottest temperatures will occur in mid- to late June and mid-July.

Expect a hurricane in the last week of September. Otherwise, September and October will be slightly drier than normal, with near-normal temperatures.

clink

So, anything but mild and dry, basically.

Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

I left the house this morning and it was 7 degrees. I could see my breath...Summer you say??

#6 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

I walked a few blocks around one o'clock, and it was scary hot if you didn't stay in the shade.

But no worse than Nashville in August.
Elect-a-lujah

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(peppyre @ Jun 10 2008, 02:05 PM) View Post
I left the house this morning and it was 7 degrees. I could see my breath...Summer you say??

are you on the government waiting list for summer?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#8 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jun 10 2008, 06:08 PM) View Post
QUOTE(peppyre @ Jun 10 2008, 02:05 PM) View Post

are you on the government waiting list for summer?

Must be. I think the 2 days of 90 degrees back in May was it for our summer.

A great advertisement for the tourist board.....Don't have airconditioning? Find the East Coast too hot? Visit Vancouver where it's still winter!

#9 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

And I'm looking hopefully at the "Partly Sunny" w/ highs in the 60's coming later this week. We've been having a persistant, chilly drizzle, with intermittent showers and wind for most of the last couple of weeks. The sun came out on Sunday, though, giving us a chance to get the front yard mowed and make a trip to the farmer's market.
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#10 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

We're now in the holding pattern here. Wait for summer. Wait a bit more. Wait.......... then wait some more.

Will it arrive as it usually does, after July 4th? Or, will we be graced by another rainy July, like we had last year? If we are, (they are predicting we are) will we have summer in August? And if you don't even get summer then, you know what that means.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#11 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

The thought of a rainy July is just so f*&^king depressing..........

#12 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

phrase of the day: so hot that squirrels are lying spread-eagled on the cooler flagstones in our yard. (sourced from Krugmans' blog).

Not quite but when i was walking Cherry out today (which basically involved dragging her around the neighborhood shortest route) the squirrel we passed on our way just looked at us ruefully and walked to the closest tree to sprawl itself on the nearest branch in the shadow.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Jun 10 2008, 07:32 PM) View Post
phrase of the day: so hot that squirrels are lying spread-eagled on the cooler flagstones in our yard. (sourced from Krugmans' blog).

they gotta cool their nuts

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#14 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,009 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

We're having a rather spectacular lightning display here on the lower west side---very bright, intense flashes that illuminate the buildings and trees like carbon lighting in an old monster movie. There was one a few minutes ago that completely lit up the darkened living room.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:46 AM

Up here in Siberia too.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid