97 replies to this topic

#1 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

My name is GG and I am a Seltzer Addict. I got my husband hooked, too. We each have a 1 or 2 bottle a day habit. I started feeling schmucky about the environmental impact of all that bottled soda (especially when I see the giant plastic bags full of bottles waiting to go to recycling). And it's a lot of schlepping of bottles from the grocery store. So I started looking into making our own.

Some research turned up that your basic soda siphon doesn't make very fizzy seltzer, and that those little CO2 cartridges get expensive and are a PITA. Then I found a thread on Chowhound about the Soda Club soda maker. Sounded like just the ticket. I ordered one. It arrived yesterday.

It makes incredible seltzer. I'm sure using our sweet Vermont well water helps, but I can control the amount of fizz I can make it strong enough to burn my nose and make my eyes water (spectacular!). And each big CO2 canister will carbonate up to 110 liters of water. And it comes with reusable plastic bottles. Excellent.

Check it out:
Soda Club website
Pictures and review on Cooking for Engineers

The set-up also comes with a sampler of the soda flavorings available from the company. I threw them away even the non-diet ones have Splenda in them. dry.gif

But I'm looking forward to experimenting with making my own soda (I had a lemon verbena soda at Hugo's in Portland that has haunted me for nigh on 3 years).

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

Oooooh Ooh oooh. I have been thinking about this and this may push me right over the edge. My cousin recently got one and he LOVES it. He has started to make his own flavored sodas too.

Thank you!
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

Discussion on Chowhound.

#4 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

I used to have my seltzer delivered in San Francisco.
I love my fizzy water. I think I have to do this.
I imagine you could make lemonade.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#5 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I want one of those SO much it hurts. Giving up my lime seltzer water is so difficult, but I think next big payday, I'm popping for one of these. I've been having lemonade with seltzer, and it's addicting.

Move over on the church pew there, Mora, and make room for a new 12-Stepper for Fizz.
"Nana, I just counted to infinity really fast!" Logan, age 5-1/2

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

I have one of these. The only annoyance is that you still need to filter the tap water to make it not smell of chlorine, but other than that it makes good soda.
I never said that

#7 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

I'm not a huge fan of fizzy water, but the BF is and I bought him a vintage seltzer bottle which is well-used and loved. No flavoring, but I Britta the water from the tap beforehand.

#8 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Jul 2 2008, 11:49 AM) View Post
I'm not a huge fan of fizzy water, but the BF is and I bought him a vintage seltzer bottle which is well-used and loved. No flavoring, but I Britta the water from the tap beforehand.

That's the kind where you add a cartridge, right? that's more 1960s, I believe.
The real vintage ones were etched glass and needed to be filled at a plant. I think the Seltzer Sisters in San Francisco are still in business. They bring crates each week and you and your special friend get in silk pajamas and have seltzer fights while saying madcap things to each other.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#9 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jul 2 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post

The real vintage ones were etched glass and needed to be filled at a plant. I think the Seltzer Sisters in San Francisco are still in business. They bring crates each week and you and your special friend get in silk pajamas and have seltzer fights while saying madcap things to each other.

I have two; one is definitely circa 1930s and takes a cartridge (but no longer works because of a dead seal). The other is the same design which does work. I love the idea of the Seltzer Sisters.

#10 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

My bro-in-law used the Seltzer Sisters for years. He still misses them. (lives on east coast now)
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#11 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(Carolyn Tillie @ Jul 2 2008, 12:10 PM) View Post
QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jul 2 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post

I have two; one is definitely circa 1930s and takes a cartridge (but no longer works because of a dead seal). The other is the same design which does work. I love the idea of the Seltzer Sisters.

Here's a link to a page at their site.
It looks like they use plastic now, but in my day (early to mid-1980s) they used to bring the vintage bottles.

#12 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hi GG. My name is Joel and I am a seltzer addict. So is my wife. We consumer 4-6 750 ml bottles of Vintage Seltzer a week. I use it in lemonade, mint juleps, mix rasberry syrup in it, add it to orange soda and drink it straight.

I am ordering one immediately!! I have a CO2 siphon that we hardly ever use. It's like the deco cocktail table version. Thsi seems like a real substitute for bottle seltzer and I like that you can vary the carbonation. Thanks GG! Great find.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#13 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jul 2 2008, 01:40 PM) View Post
My name is GG and I am a Seltzer Addict. I got my husband hooked, too. We each have a 1 or 2 bottle a day habit. I started feeling schmucky about the environmental impact of all that bottled soda (especially when I see the giant plastic bags full of bottles waiting to go to recycling). And it's a lot of schlepping of bottles from the grocery store. So I started looking into making our own.

Some research turned up that your basic soda siphon doesn't make very fizzy seltzer, and that those little CO2 cartridges get expensive and are a PITA. Then I found a thread on Chowhound about the Soda Club soda maker. Sounded like just the ticket. I ordered one. It arrived yesterday.

It makes incredible seltzer. I'm sure using our sweet Vermont well water helps, but I can control the amount of fizz I can make it strong enough to burn my nose and make my eyes water (spectacular!). And each big CO2 canister will carbonate up to 110 liters of water. And it comes with reusable plastic bottles. Excellent.

Check it out:
Soda Club website

The set-up also comes with a sampler of the soda flavorings available from the company. I threw them away even the non-diet ones have Splenda in them. dry.gif

But I'm looking forward to experimenting with making my own soda (I had a lemon verbena soda at Hugo's in Portland that has haunted me for nigh on 3 years).

I have a similar unit that we bought some five years ago. They use mini canisters. The problem with these things is getting the canisters refilled locally. It has to do with the fact that they use a non-standard fitting.

If you are lucky, you can establish a rapport with your local fire extinguisher supply or paintball gun sports store and they can refill the CO2, if they can get the mating fitting for their gas supply to attach to the canister.

I gave up on my machine a few years ago when my local guy went out of biz who could do the refills and just had my local Nestle Waters supplier deliver me six cases of 16oz plastic bottles of Poland Spring Sparkling every month. Its a lot more convenient than having to schlep home water bottles.

If you're really serious about soda -- you get yourself a standard 10 or 20 pound tank that you can exchange with a regular CO2 supply company periodically and hook up a restaurant-style gun. The guns and associated hardware for a basic soda setup can usually be found on eBay for less than 200 bucks.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#14 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(OTB @ Jul 3 2008, 02:04 PM) View Post
QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jul 2 2008, 01:40 PM) View Post

Check it out:
Soda Club website

I have a similar unit that we bought some five years ago. They use mini canisters. The problem with these things is getting the canisters refilled locally. It has to do with the fact that they use a non-standard fitting.

If you are lucky, you can establish a rapport with your local fire extinguisher supply or paintball gun sports store and they can refill the CO2, if they can get the mating fitting for their gas supply to attach to the canister.

I gave up on my machine a few years ago when my local guy went out of biz who could do the refills and just had my local Nestle Waters supplier deliver me six cases of 16oz plastic bottles of Poland Spring Sparkling every month. Its a lot more convenient than having to schlep home water bottles.

If you're really serious about soda -- you get yourself a standard 10 or 20 pound tank that you can exchange with a regular CO2 supply company periodically and hook up a restaurant-style gun. The guns and associated hardware for a basic soda setup can usually be found on eBay for less than 200 bucks.

My primary interest was in getting away from massive consumption of plastic bottles. The set-up I bought came with 3 CO2 canisters, each capable of carbonating up to 110 liters of water. When you need more CO2 you ship back the empties and order full ones (@$20/ea + shipping). It does require a little advance planning, but I'm compulsive enough that I don't see its being a problem.

#15 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Mine is on the way.
I went for the non-stylish white.